Everyone who has experience with amp I want to know how it was. I was looking into possibly getting one of these soon. I want to know how it handles genres such as alt rock, grunge, and hard rock. Obviously i know this amp is not for metal but I rarely play it so that ok. Also, is $250 a good price for the amp?
Quote by dizzle_312
Everyone who has experience with amp I want to know how it was. I was looking into possibly getting one of these soon. I want to know how it handles genres such as alt rock, grunge, and hard rock. Obviously i know this amp is not for metal but I rarely play it so that ok. Also, is $250 a good price for the amp?

Alt rock yes. The other two genres would require a distoriton pedal. $250 is a bargain. They sell at $699 MSRP. Now, if you pick up one of these, I strongly recommend getting a tube tamer and back grill for it on ebay.
$250 is an amazing price if it's in good condition. I paid $400 for mine so I wouldn't pass this up. I don't play much alt rock or grunge, but it does hard rock very well. I play music similar to Black Sabbath all the way to Eric Johnson and it handles it all perfectly. Again, $250 is beyond amazing. You're not going to find better for that price.

Edit: ^ Tom's Tube Tamer is a definite must. That's the only con I can think of for this amp.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Last edited by Got Guitar? at Jul 18, 2010,
$250 (USD i assume?) is a very good price, assuming the tubes are at least in decent condition. If they're completely blown, then I'd say it's still a good price, less good, but still good.

Anyways, I have one, it's my main amp, it's pretty solidly built so it wouldn't worry too much about that. If the one you're looking at doesn't have a cage over the tubes, I'd look into getting one, just for a little extra protection. It's a very versatile amp, that should be able to cover the styles you listed. It may have a bit more of a "classic" voicing than you might prefer for some modern rock sounds, but I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bothers you, I've found that it takes pedals pretty well, so no worries there. Overall, I'd say it's a quality budget tube amp, I've done small gigs with it, and it sounds good even at the low volumes I play at when I'm practicing in my dorm.

SAINTLYEDIT: just for comparison purposes, I believe I paid 300 possibly 350 (but I'm pretty sure it was 300) USD for mine.
Last edited by saint22 at Jul 18, 2010,
Thanks for the reply's it's little beat up on the outside but the inside seems fine and he said he replaced the tubes recently so I think Im in the clear to get it thanks guys
I don't really have much of an answer for you, other then that price is awesome. But reading this made me think of a question, I'm also thinking of getting a classic 30 (or 50) it works great for my style of music (classic rock) but i was wondering, what is a Tube Tamer?
Its keeps the tubes from rattling, or still i guess... I actually had to just look that up after hearing about it on this thread :P
I just picked one of these guys up. You can get some pretty heavy tones out of them with an EQ pedal in the loop. It's a pretty versatile amp. I love mine. I'm thinkin' I'm going to convert mine into a head though. Just because I feel I would use it more that way.

That is a good price for a good amp. I'd do it.

EDIT: I also have a tube tamer in mine. I can toss some pics up if you'd like. It helps a ton.
Last edited by VishNuRoXoUt at Jul 19, 2010,
I bought mine a few months back and love it. Like everyone else has said, if its in good condition that price is a steal.

With the right overdrive in front it can get a nice heavy sound. I picked up a MWR Wylde OD the other day, but I'm fighting with the feedback, although it might have nothing to do with the amp because I have used my OD20 set to tubescreamer and it sounds fine.
Gear:
Parker P44PRO
Peavey Classic 30
Boss PH2
Boss OD-20
Boss RC-20
MXR ZW44
Well I talked to the guy again today and the only thing wrong with the amp besides some wear which is normal is that the reverb isn't working... but is that really a big deal? How expencive would it usually be to repare that?
I paid 350 for mine. 250 is a steal. And yes, it can do those genres very well. You might not be happy with the gain on some of the heavier grunge stuff, but to me hard rock is guns n'roses and wolfmother, and it does bands like those really well.
Here are some pics of the amp:

EDIT: After some last minute thinking do you guys think that it would be better just to get this amp or get the Traynor YCS50? Because I have some money left over in which I can afford both. This one caught my eye because of the low price....what do you think?
Last edited by dizzle_312 at Jul 20, 2010,
Traynor YCS50 is pretty bad ass, made in Canada I believe, multiple effects loops, celestion30 speaker, 15 or 50 watts. The features are outstanding, it will cost 3 times as much as the classic 30, but i'd go with the classic 30 because it think it offers fantastic rock tones that are very authentic and original to the classic 30. $250 is ridiculously cheap. I guess it just depends on what you want, extremely good quality versatile cleaner tones (traynor) or classic rockin' tones for a bargain price (peavey).

Oh, and peavey amps don't have great reverb, you can get a good pedal for that.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Last edited by fnichols1 at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by fnichols1
Traynor YCS50 is pretty bad ass, made in Canada I believe, multiple effects loops, celestion30 speaker, 15 or 50 watts. The features are outstanding, it will cost 3 times as much as the classic 30, but i'd go with the classic 30 because it think it offers fantastic rock tones that are very authentic and original to the classic 30. $250 is ridiculously cheap. I guess it just depends on what you want, extremely good quality versatile cleaner tones (traynor) or classic rockin' tones for a bargain price (peavey).

Oh, and peavey amps don't have great reverb, you can get a good pedal for that.

hmm ok this is tough but like the thing is I also play in a band sorry I should have said this early or maybe i did but it slipped my mind but if I get the Peavey will it change the entire sound of my band or will it fit that my "new" major concern I guess :P but is the peavey capable of doing other sounds besides the classic vintage sound?
I've never owned a classic 30 but i've played one. It is bare bones really, good clean sound, great classic distortion sound for blues and rock. The Traynor, which I've never played, clearly has a ton of tone shaping options, more than most combo amps on the market. If you have the money that looks like a great one, my only reservation would be how good the distortion sounds, I'm very picky about that and I can vouch for the classic 30 in that department.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
I have 2 Peavey Classic 30s.

I really love the vintage-y blues-y overdrive tones they get.

Eventually I installed Celestion Vintage 30s in 'em both. Now they even get closer to metal.

Here's a clip of me playing some Judas Priest after I had just installed a new Vintage 30 in one of my C30s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZ5Hg7-t5g

I think it sounds a tad bright.... I could have backed off the treble and upped the mids just a little bit and I think it would have sounded better. But I still think it sounds pretty good.