I need to replace the stock tubes on my Peavey xXx, I heard Mesas are good?

I like the kind of guitar sound you get in Star ****ing Hipsters or River City Rebels, think a good fat punk/metal tone for a three piece band.

What's a good site and a good set of tubes to consider? Should I replace the preamp tubes too even if they're OK?
I should mention I don't know jack about tubes, I don't even really know what EL34 means...this is my first tube amp xD
Does your amp have EL34s in it now? That is just a tube type.

Other types include 6L6, 6V6, EL84, KT66, KT88, etc.

The next key is the brand of tubes or who makes them. Mesa doesn't make tubes, those are just rebranded something else. Check out the Everything Tubes thread. You can find that in the List of banned threads and good threads sticky.

Places to buy tubes: dougstubes.com, tubedepot.com, thetubestore.com, eurotubes.com.

Send Doug at dougstubes and email with what you have and what you are looking for.

Decent brands are JJ, Grove Tubes, Ruby, Sovtek, Mullard, Svetlana, Tung Sol, SED, Shuguang, etc.

I'd probably go with JJ EL34s.
I have Sovtek 6L6WXT, but the high gain settings are so muddy that I probably would rather have the 6L6s, since I just learned that they're a bit cleaner.

We live in a wicked humid place so we're having noise issues from that alone, but I still need new tubes. Right now I'm between JJs and Sovteks.

Think street punk, New York Dolls/River City Rebels/Star ****ing Hipsters, that kinda sound. Big, fat, dirty as hell, but still defined.
Last edited by vanitybinge at Jul 18, 2010,
definitely jj's

goto eurotubes.com and read all about them, and you can order them from there.

they do compare them to all kinds of other tubes, but funny enough the reviews pretty much just say everything that isn't jj is crap
I DID JUST READ THAT PAGE and you're right, the guy has a nutswingin for JJs, but he seems to know exactly what they all sound like.

Is his retube kit really worth it? I heard if you buy tubes fresh you can get duds but when you buy them from private merchants they'll be tested and matched better.
basically it would be best to order them right from him, cause then you are assured a matched set, and opposed to if you bought any ones off the shelf, they wouldn't be matched.
Quote by vanitybinge
I DID JUST READ THAT PAGE and you're right, the guy has a nutswingin for JJs, but he seems to know exactly what they all sound like.

Is his retube kit really worth it? I heard if you buy tubes fresh you can get duds but when you buy them from private merchants they'll be tested and matched better.

That is because JJs are the only tubes he sells. I'd much rather deal with doug or one of the others because they might be able to find something you like better if u tell them how you would like to change your tone.
JJs are nice tubes...I have them in my XXX. I always get my tubes off ebay...cheapest place I've found and they sell matched quads of power tubes. Personally, I like the 6L6s in the XXX better...it was lacking on the low end with EL34s....and some XXX heads have problems running EL34s (resistors can blow)...although I never had a problem with mine when I was running them.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 18, 2010,
Thanks for the tips guys, I just ordered a matched quad of JJ6L6s from Eurotubes, I figure at least the guy tests all his tubes before he ships em so I can be sure to get 4 tubes that are alligned to each other.