I wanna start a band that plays stoner metal (sleep, electric wizard, kyuss). Can anyone recommend some pedals to get that tone? Or anything else that would sound good. I can never keep up with all the different kinds of gear, so any help would be appreciated.
You want a fuzz type tone. I'd recommend an Electroharminix Big Buff, Double Muff, or maybe a Dunlop Fuzz Face.
Alright cool. I'll check out some of those and see what I can afford.

Also, I'm from PEI, sup neighbour!
Once I get the fuzz, is there anything else that would make a nice addition? I already have a wah pedal, if that helps.
Quote by Brooo
Once I get the fuzz, is there anything else that would make a nice addition?

The formula is pretty simple: tune down, crank up the fuzz, and play really really slow.
Try a fuzz and Octave pedal like Big John Granny Puker. Very interesting sound.
Quote by unet
Boss FZ-2.
It's THE Stoner metal sound.
And a nice amp. Matamp or Orange should do fine.

FZ-2 ftw
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by Mutmoo
What do you have for an amp and guitar?

the amp was built buy a dude that lives down the road so i can't really say much about it. but i have an epiphone g-400 sg.
Check out Devi Ever, she builds some very, very crazy fuzzes.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Try the new Big Muff with Tone Wicker, I have one and it's pretty Versatile. I play the same kind of stuff.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

get an SG, an Orange Thunderverb, fuzz face, and switch your pickups to the neck and brake the handle off. should do quite nicely.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Zvex, JHS, and EHX all make great fuzz pedals. Try them all and see which one you like the most!
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I got a mate who's in a Kyuss tribute band - he uses an old Peavey bass amp, a Russian Big Muff and some Boss OD pedal.
Maybe an octave pedal to spice things up
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
A nice crunchy Marshall amp. Good fuzz pedal and/or Overdrive. And a good reverb pedal. Thats all you need. If budget doesn't matter get a Maxon 808 and an EHX Big Muff together.

for a good example of this combination, check out this band:

http://www.myspace.com/ironagetexas
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 18, 2010,
Death by Audios Fuzz War is pretty good for stoner, just EQ your amp to a very dark setting and crank up the fuzz.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by handbanana
A nice crunchy Marshall amp. Good fuzz pedal and/or Overdrive. And a good reverb pedal. Thats all you need. If budget doesn't matter get a Maxon 808 and an EHX Big Muff together.

for a good example of this combination, check out this band:

http://www.myspace.com/ironagetexas

right on man! iron age is such a good band, constant struggle is my jam. definitely would be playing a lot slower than hardcore bands though haha.
Get high, listen to clips of a bunch of different effects and write down the ones that totally blow your mind. Man.