Do any of you have those steel slings that you can play guitar with?

Do they destroy your strings and do you need to do anything special to your guitar to use one on it?

I'm thinking about getting one if they aren't expensive for fun.
Do you mean a slide?

Even if it's a capo, or a slide, they don't destroy your strings, and you don't need a special guitar to use them...

But, seriously, you should know what they do before you get one.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by britishsligean
do you mean a capo

No a cylindrical piece of steel that you can hold or put around a finger and slide it up and down the fretboard over the strings.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Do you mean a slide?

Even if it's a capo, or a slide, they don't destroy your strings, and you don't need a special guitar to use them...

But, seriously, you should know what they do before you get one.

I know what they do-my dad has one and I played around with it all weekend.

I just didn't know what to call it.
Quote by -TM-
No a cylindrical piece of steel that you can hold or put around a finger and slide it up and down the fretboard over the strings.

That was a much better way to explain it, compared to "steel slings"...
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
That was a much better way to explain it, compared to "steel slings"...

Alright sorry about that haha.

So are they relatively cheap/don't affect your strings?

Also, if you play it over the fifth fret of the low E-string would the note still be an A? Like it doesn't change the note right, just gives the ability to have that cool sliding sound?
Quote by -TM-
Alright sorry about that haha.

So are they relatively cheap/don't affect your strings?

Also, if you play it over the fifth fret of the low E-string would the note still be an A? Like it doesn't change the note right, just gives the ability to have that cool sliding sound?

They are pretty cheap, but google could have told you that. And, nope, they don't effect your strings drastically.
It doesn't change the note, no.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Since you got it from your father why did´nt you ask him what it is and how it works.
your strings will probably last longer, as your not getting sweat and oil all over the strings.