Ok, heres the deal, Ive been using cakewalk sonar 8.5 for a year now ony my pc laptop.

My laptop died on me and I need to get it replaced... I've heard lots of great things on a mac but never tried it before and haven't got any friends who use mac for recording so heres the deal for my next computer... do I:

a) stick with what i know
therefore get another windows based computer anduse cakewalk sonar 8.5 again

or

b) branch out and try something new?
Is mac really that much better for recording? - please can someone answer this!

I know this question has probably been asked alot but i can't be bothered to dig for threads!

Oscar

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
i've heard lots of good things about garage band which is free with macs, but if you plan on using the computer for games or anything else you might want to look into a pc possibly
hm... ok, Yeh garage band is cool, but how does it compare to something like cakewalk?

what do most pros use?
more opinoins please?

Gibson LP studio,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
Cakewalk will be 100x better than Garage band. Tbh dude, it's about what you feel comfortable with, if you like Sonar, then get another Windows machine, you can probably get more for your money there as well, if you want a mac, ask your friends who's got one, then you can try it out and see what you think. You can make music on windows and mac, and I think nowdays, there's not a huge difference, there's preference, so you've gotta go with what you like and can comfortably and effortlessly do what you want in.
Oh the good old Mac Vs PC Debate. The question never ends. Heres how I look at it. With Mac, you get Stability you're never going to get with a PC. On the other hand, you're paying up to 3 times the price for a Mac than a PC with the same specs (The Macbook I want is $2400, I could get a PC with the same specs for $950 from Dell). Also, I've heard driver issues with some macs and some interfaces.

Will you notice a difference with a mac? A little. Is it worth the extra $$$ for a Mac? Thats up to you.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
i think those last 2 comments are very helpful...

I mean I live in UK and apple has only really made its stamp in the last 5 years i would say...

before i would say 80% of people used pcs?

but the way apples market their products is obviously very clever and it plays with your mind!
they always say macs are better for creative kind of stuff... I've never really had a problem with windows....

i think i'll get another windows to be honest!

thanx for your replies, and if anyone else has anyone more opnions i welcome them

Gibson LP studio,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
I work with Macs and PCs all the time...they are both computers which do the same thing (just in a different way).

Macs are nice but IMO, WAY too overpriced for what you get...I just can't see spending so much on something that does the same thing as a PC.

I say if you've been working with PCs forever, stick with them. Switching to macs is like working on a PC with a mirrored view...everything is backwards if you're not used to it...LOL

You're not missing out on any software on the mac side. Sure studios use it lots because ProTools tends to work smoother on it but I've been working in school studios with PT and PCs for years now and they don't crash any more than the macs I work with.
Garage Band is like Audacity on the PC side...nothing special.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/Mac_vs_Pc_DAWS.htm

oh yea, reading about drivers in Locks post...yea you will need to find an interface that works smoothly with the Mac OS. Usually MOTU work out good from what I've heard in the past....
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 18, 2010,
If you've used SONAR before, go back to SONAR. It really doesn't matter. On one end, you have the possibility to learn Logic and MAC Protools, on the other, you've got to spend a TON to get the new machine, and then learn to use new DAW's. Just stick with what you know, Cakewalk is a hell of a software. I use Garageband and Logic, so I'm gonna stick with them because, they too are hell's of software's. (?)
Personally every Mac user i've questioned is completely up their own ass. i'm not saying they're all like that but just all the ones i've known and asked questions to regarding computers. So there is a risk of turning into that from my experiences.
Quote by Afroboy267
Personally every Mac user i've questioned is completely up their own ass. i'm not saying they're all like that but just all the ones i've known and asked questions to regarding computers. So there is a risk of turning into that from my experiences.

Nice way to take an objective view there... The way you said that sounds like your head is just as far up YOUR ass...
Quote by moody07747
PC users rave about PC
Mac users rave about Macs...simple as that.

Yup.

But stick to what you're used to. One of the big things about Mac is that they (Usually) run super-quietly. But a LOT of PC's are catching up there. My PC though is really loud, which is part of the reason I hated recording with it, and part of why I love my Mac, but it was a B**** trying to switch over. Stay with what you're comfortable with, unless you want to waste between a week to a month (Depending on how tech-savvy you are and if you want the help of online tut's) learning something new.
ok, well thats really helpful guys... I have a next question,but i'll post it in the next thread!

Gibson LP studio,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
A Mac is a standard PC with built-in hardware DRM for MacOS X. That's it.

So it all comes down to which software you find comfortable.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
I used to use PCs for years but switched over to Mac 2 years ago so I would really recommend them, the current version of Macs are so expensive compared to when I got mine but your guaranteed a very reliable machine thats perfect for recording and whisper quiet, ever mac comes with garageband as the guys said above, its actually a really good recording program but has big limitations compared to other DAWs
i've had a mac for a year now, and i like it way more than pc's (which i used for the first 18 years of my life)

i had really nothing but bad luck with pc's (mostly dells) whether the batteries dies out and won't hold a charge after like a year or so. and i've also had trouble with the screen on pc's like the screen won't stand up, (that happened on 2 seperate dell laptops.

so quite honestly i got sick of it, and dropped the money for a mac, which are kind of exspensive. but after a year, the battery STILL lasts a really long time (4-5 hours ) unless your like on youtube or watching movies, then maybe 3-4 hours.

most people i know that make the mac switch, REALLY love them. most people that have never really gave them a chance (just played with a friends or something) really hate them because everything is kind of backwards, but that really only took 2 weeks to be completely use to it.
Honestly, I use both. I don't particularly prefer a Mac or PC, but for recording I use my Mac because I really enjoy using Logic. However, you will be completely fine with either. ProTools is usually the most used program, and it runs on either. Macs are way more expensive.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception