Hey guys, I completed this little project a few days back. Thought some people here might be interested! The gist of it is that I hacked apart a little Washburn distortion pedal and put it in my Jackson JS30.

Moar detailed info:

The pedal, freshly gutted:

Inside the pedal were two small circuit boards connected with a ribbon cable. (if you're curious, this is how they're supposed to look like: http://www.google.com/images?client=opera&rls=en&q=washburn%20soloist%20distortion&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi )

I kinda chopped off any protrusions that were too big to fit inside the control cavity. That included chopping off the knob/shaft part of the pots, removing the footswitch and jumpering it to always on and bending over big caps. Later I put the bigger pots back on, but not after "converting" them to "trimpots" (not pictured here).

A test setup. Didn't go so well. Turns out you can't adequately replace a pot with one resistor (of a far too high value) and a jumper. No shit, sherlock.

Here's a pic of the final, working setup. You can see the two boards folded together (held together with paperclips and tape, ghetto style), the improvised trimpots (which turned out to be hard to replace) and battery shoved inside. I made those trimpots by chopping off the shaft with a metal saw and making an indentation for a flathead screwdriver with said saw. I also put a piece of felt inside the pot so the wiper is not easily moved.

Here's a pic of the switch that turns the circuitry on. It also controls the battery power, so it doesn't instantly turn on. There's a slight pop, a moment of silence, and then... hell breaks loose.

ps: I disabled smilies so I could put all the pics in. You'll have to imagine a headbang smiley up there.

Also nice is that the switch has a middle position which turns everything completely off. This is especially nice because my volume knob always gets in the way and was thus removed.

I've recorded a demo, the clip is in my profile. At first I noodle a bit with the "pedal" off. It should be fairly obvious when it's activated.
I also got a nice solo sound with the neck pickup and tone knob (of the guitar, not the pedal) down a bit, so I did a little noodling with that on the end as well.

Since the distortion on my 333 is plenty br00tlz enough on its own, I use the pedal to drive the clean channel into pure fuzz mayhem.

Settings on pedal:
Volume: 6
Gain: 3
Tone: 10

Settings on amp:
Clean channel
Master volume: 1
Channel vol: 10 (important, this volume is actually more of a gain knob)
Treble: 10
Mids: 10
Bass: 10

Yes, everything on 10 to max out on the fuzzy distortion...

The clip is a straight recording from the mic, no production/mixing or anything.
Clean bit is from In My Own Greed - Spawn Of Possession (best tech death band ever), fuzzy riffs are from Dixie Whiskey - Eyehategod, solo is improvised (could you tell? :P ).

I can definitely recommend this if you have some soldering/electronics experience and there's some room in your control cavity. It's kind of like having an extra amplifier channel for super fuzzy goodness.

(I think it would've been better if I put a tubescreamer in, but this will have to do)
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Jul 18, 2010,
Try using a stereo jack for battery switching and it'll be instant.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by Mike-T93
I didn't want to do that because I will not be using the boost the majority of the time and don't want the battery to bleed dry while I'm practicing on clean settings.
But thanks anyway for the suggestion! I was thinking, perhaps I could use a capacitor somehow for a smooth turn-on. Maybe a cap to the ground at the battery switch? It would let the popping AC signal pass to the ground but block the DC part of the signal?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

There's some way to stop that using a large resistor, I can't remember right now. Check the wiring thread.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Yes, it is the same with a killswitch. a large value resistor (A couple MΩ across the switch helps stop the pop.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Yes, it is the same with a killswitch. a large value resistor (A couple MΩ across the switch helps stop the pop.
You mean so that it "bleeds" slightly? Hmmm, I might sacrifice some battery lifetime for lowering popping..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

yeah, but a 2.2MΩ resistor only has 4µA of current through it at 9V, and if you increase the resistance, it will be even less than that, and that is small.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
yeah, but a 2.2MΩ resistor only has 4µA of current through it at 9V, and if you increase the resistance, it will be even less than that, and that is small.
Sounds reasonable... Thanks for the info!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Mike-T93

Yeah, this will also get rid of the pop and actually make this "mod" usable.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Unless he's like me where he never unplugs his guitar... It's gonna suck when I put those EMG's in.

EDIT: And I also wire all my pedals like that, killing the power instead, I just find it more practical doing it this way and saving some battery power, especially if I don't have a power supply or wall warts.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Jul 18, 2010,
sounds cool man. kinda like an instant Jack White fuzz solo sound
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20