Hey,

My uncle just came down from Tennessee and he brought me his old Gibson Flying V. After doing some research i found that it was built in the USA on October 4, 1984. It is in pretty bad shape, but my dad and i are going to attempt to restore it. I am not quite sure where to start and what the process i need to follow is. If you have any advice or can direct me to so links/threads that will help me bring it back to life...that would be great. I plan on completely redoing the electronics...not sure what picups yet, but i definitely want a coiltap and two volume pots. I also want to replace all the hardware...where can i find replacement hardware and are there any precautions i should take in replacing them? I was also thinking of doing a custom paint job...not quite sure what yet...i was thinking of maybe some kind of sunburst. I was also considering changing it to a faded cherry finish with some kind of design on it. Ideas are still floating through my head and i think we won't have to worry about it for a while. Anyway, here are a few photos...

Here are the rest of the pics...they are more detailed so you can see what kind of condition it is in.

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/JKMV41/Gibson%20Flying%20V%201984%20BEFORE/

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 25, 2010,
Beautiful guitar man
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
Really awesome, is it strung backwards though?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
its dinged up but its definitely in good enough condition to play, honestly, I would just get some new knobs and what not and rock the used look
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Try the Customising thread for any questions but i think a flying V is totally the wrong shape a size for a decent sunburst so I'd avoid that or at least do some good research first.
SMILE!
thats exactly what caught my eye.. his uncle must have been a lefty.
well, no to be a joykiller, I would leave it the way it is( aside from replacing the electronics), I think guitars look better with signs of use :P
Dude, don't "try" to restore that guitar. It's awesome like it is and appears to be original. Anything you do to it will destroy the value and likely make it worse. Carefully clean it, get a few new knobs and enjoy it. I have a lot of guitars but I'd kill to have that one exactly like it is. You have a real gem there. Please don't screw it up trying to change it.
yeah, leave that thing as is! i'm not a huge flying V fan, but that thing looks nice. just wipe down the fretboard and clean the dust off the headstock. you might have to flip the nut if it was properly set up for a lefty. if not then the nut might still be the right direction. anyway just clean it up a little and play! happy new guitar day
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
ya...my uncle is a lefty...he hasn't touched it for about 20 years. i am left handed too, but i play right handed. you guys really think i should just keep it the way it is? At the very least i would like to put a pickguard on it. As far as value goes...i don't care if it goes down in value...i don't have any plans to sell it...i will likely keep it till the day i die.

I was considering sending it off to Gibson to have them restore it...so i don't mess it up...but at the same time i really want fix it up with my dad. Idk. I going to go up to my local guitar shop and see what they suggest. I am really not a big fan of the black...it is ok, but not my first choice for that style. The pickguard would make it more appealing to me...but it doesn't look like it was made to have one.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
you already have a unique guitar, don't screw with it. 20 years old? it's a legacy on it own :P
but it is still your guitar, you will be the one that as to like to look at it everyday. Just don´t jump to restore right away, it might grow on you
**** i just typed a nice detailed reply that didnt go through thanks to internet explorer

just take some 0000 steel wool and polishing compound to the frets. use painters tape to cover the fretboard before doing this! polish up all of the shiny hardware and if the bridge is really tarnished, take the steel wool to that too. clean the gunk off the fretboard with alcohol wipes and dont forget about the stuff right where the nut and frets meet the fretboard. then use fretboard conditioner just after doing that little bit, you'll already feel better about this guitar.

nice score man!

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I agree with the basic fretboard care ideas. 0000 Steel wool the frets, clean the fretboard, replace the rusted pots and wiring, but keep the pups, original vintage gibson pickups can go for some major $$$$ on the bay though..

I like em more with a pickguard too, but given the crappy quality control of Gibson ATM I would not send that guitar to them for restoration if they personally contacted me and asked.
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
I think you should plug it in for a diagnostic scan, so to speak. Turn all of the knobs around a few times, listening for crackles/pops and what-not. Then give it a strum or thirty. Just to see what the pickups sound like. Set it up! Intonation is everything, son. Make sure the bridge is flipped the correct way 'round too.
I also second the basic fretboard-care ideas up there. Naught four steel wool on the frets, a little rubbing alcohol on the corner of a rag for the fretboard gunk, then some lemon oil to condition it.

You can order a Flying V pickguard from warmoth, i think.
If i were you, i'd distress the pickguard.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
thanks for the suggestions guys...i'll see if i can salvage the pickups...but the rest of the electronics will likely have to go. the toggle switch doesn't work and the input seems to be messed up. i might change out the tuners as well.
--Einstein

--Einstein
You're lucky dude, once you get everything working right and clean, you're in for a real treat
Starting Weight: 310, 38.8% Body fat (11/2008, pic in profile)
Latest Weigh in 230.2 14.3% Body fat (4/13/2013)

Pro life, pro gun, health nut, Christian and conservative. I make no apologies if what I say pisses anybody off.
I agree with the basic fretboard care ideas. 0000 Steel wool the frets, clean the fretboard, replace the rusted pots and wiring, but keep the pups, original vintage gibson pickups can go for some major $$$$ on the bay though..

I like em more with a pickguard too, but given the crappy quality control of Gibson ATM I would not send that guitar to them for restoration if they personally contacted me and asked.

WTF are you talking about? Crap like this is exactly what I can't stand about UG.

I wouldn't throw out the pickups but 1984 is hardly what I'd call vintage. And assuming you could actually talk Gibson into working on that guitar (they would charge more than it's worth) it would likely go to their custom shop and I guarantee it would come back nicer than it was when new!

However the guitar was only a mid-level Gibson when it was new so much of the desirability/coolness factor is in it's nicely aged, they call it reliced now, condition so why the hell would you want to restore it?
Hey,

Well my dad and i just got done fixing her up yesterday. We just replaced the input jack and the toggle switch; according to the guy up at the music store all the pots were fine. He was really cool...he gave me the tool for the truss rod as well as found me a screw for one of the tuning pegs. I polished all of the hardware. I took some steel wool to the frets and rubbing alcohol to the fretboard followed by lemon oil to condition it. The difference is unbelievable. The nut appears to be fine...but my dad bought a replacement just in case. I also polished the body a bit. Set her up with some 11 gauge D'Addario's tuned to E. Unfortunately there is so much tension that it is hard to bend the strings...i would go down to 10's, but i break those often. Alright enough talk...here are the picks!

Fretboard Before:

Fretboard After:

Reflectivity Is Strong in this One :

Body:

All pics: http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/JKMV41/Gibson%20Flying%20V%201984%20AFTER/
--Einstein

--Einstein