Okay guys, I need a new amp, my band is currrently starting to gig, and my Spider II 120 combo just isn't cutting it anymore.

It's getting worn out from being played so loud at practices and shows we've been doing.

I need something for like hardcore/metal/screamo(nice distortion/gain)

So I'm in the market for a decent half stack that (hopefully) won't break the bank of $600

It needs to be loud, durable, and it needs a nice tonal range if possible, I'm really not sure what to go with.

MG's suck, I'm meh with the Spider IV so far. Crate amps are also meh....

But if you guys think it's good I'm willing to go for it.

Tube or solid state, doesn't make a difference to me, I just don't wanna spend over $600 -$700

Help appreciated, please and thank you
Last edited by THEandrew at Jul 18, 2010,
There are definitely great combos in that price range. Unfortunately, you will NOT find a decent half stack for $600
The best I could say is a used Peavey XXX or JSX
Quote by somemaycallmeti
There are definitely great combos in that price range. Unfortunately, you will NOT find a decent half stack for $600

If you go used, you might be able to find one for $600.

To the TS: Your problem is you're playing a spider Stay away from Spiders and from MGs. Personally, I prefer tube amps, but they are more expensive. Keep in mind though that a tube amp will seem louder than a S.S. amp of the same wattage. So by cutting your wattage down a bit, you can also cut your price down, and get a better amp for your budge. If you're willing to go used, you can get an ever better amp for that price.

As for recommendations, I don't know what kind of gear you have so I don't know if you'll be throwing pedals in front of it for more gain/boost. But Bugera makes clones of some Peavey amps for cheaper than the actual Peaveys. Jet City amps are fairly hi-gain and they get good reviews. Check them out, you might find something you like.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
If you go used, you might be able to find one for $600.

To the TS: Your problem is you're playing a spider Stay away from Spiders and from MGs. Personally, I prefer tube amps, but they are more expensive. Keep in mind though that a tube amp will seem louder than a S.S. amp of the same wattage. So by cutting your wattage down a bit, you can also cut your price down, and get a better amp for your budge. If you're willing to go used, you can get an ever better amp for that price.

As for recommendations, I don't know what kind of gear you have so I don't know if you'll be throwing pedals in front of it for more gain/boost. But Bugera makes clones of some Peavey amps for cheaper than the actual Peaveys. Jet City amps are fairly hi-gain and they get good reviews. Check them out, you might find something you like.

hey hey hey, don't dis the spider!

Honestly the Spider II is about a million times better than the Spider III

IMO anyways
Quote by THEandrew
hey hey hey, don't dis the spider!

Honestly the Spider II is about a million times better than the Spider III

IMO anyways

You may be right about Spider II > Spider III. But I hate to break it to you, lower end Line6 amps are absolutely horrid. This one time I saw someone plug into a Spider at a local shop. Immediately, every animal within a 10 mile radius began clawing their ears out so they couldn't be subjected to that noise. Everyone in the shop followed suit. Seemed like an appropriate thing to do

Although I hear if you set the Spider's EQ to T:0 M:10 B:0 it gets a pretty sweet tone
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
You may be right about Spider II > Spider III. But I hate to break it to you, lower end Line6 amps are absolutely horrid. This one time I saw someone play through a Spider at a local shop. Immediately, all the cats and dogs in the area began clawing their ears out so they wouldn't be subjected to that noise any more. Everyone in the shop followed suit. Seemed like an appropriate thing to do

Although I hear if you set the Spider's EQ to T:0 M:10 B:0 it gets a pretty sweet tone

hahha, yeah they're not the best, I know that, but it does the job, the only problem I have with it is the fact that when I turn it up for practice and gigs, the bass like makes wierd ass sounds, is like yeah idk how to explain it, but it makes playing a breakdown sound retarded.

And I promise I've tried every sound sound on that thing, and I don't need my ears to raped again...
^ I was kidding about those EQ settings.

Check out:
Egnater
Jet City
Bugera
Peavey (some can be had for cheap)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
For what you're doing, look at a Peavey 6505 1x12" when looking at new stuff. Even used, halfstacks will be difficult, but a head with a 2x12" cab should be possible to find if you keep your eyes open. Peavey XXX, Ultra, possibly a 5150/6505.
Crate GTX3500éAmpeg VH140C, Crate Blue Voodoo, Peavey VTM, Ultra, or Butcher with boost, you can find matching half and full stacks for less than $600. Although they have been discontinued for years lol.

If you`re working I`d save up to about $1200-1500. That should buy you a great amp new, and an amazing amp used. I`d probably look out for an Egnater Vengeance, or a Peavey 6534, 6505, or even a new Butcher (actually a 50 watt JSX apparently, looks very promising though), or Engl or whatever really.

Keep in mind you will need extra cash for a decent cab. I`d recommend a 212 personally, 412s are massive.
Quote by THEandrew

I've heard mixed reviews about the Vypyrs. Never played one myself; personally, I try to stay away from modeling amps. I find when companies try to model other companies' stuff, it usually comes out sounding off. To each his own though.

See if there's a Vypyr in your area for you to try out and decide whether you like it
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
I've heard mixed reviews about the Vypyrs. Never played one myself; personally, I try to stay away from modeling amps. I find when companies try to model other companies' stuff, it usually comes out sounding off. To each his own though.

See if there's a Vypyr in your area for you to try out and decide whether you like it

+1 also your never going to need 120 watts of tube power
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
used peavey XXX combo!
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
As everyone has said, get a used peavey 6505 if you can find one. If not then a Bugera 6262 would be perfect for you.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
1. You don't need a half stack. You can get plenty of volume from a combo.
2. Check out some Peaveys.
Gear:
Guitar:
'08 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Boss CS-3
Vox Satchurater
Peavey Classic 30

Bass:
Fender Jazz
Carvin BX500
used b-52 at100 half stack. idk about your availability, but they can go for 650. theres one at my GC right now. point, you can get a nice half stack for that much.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by THEandrew
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp?sku=582106

exactly how loud does this thing get?

Cause, I know we may not be some huge gigging band, but our drummer plays extremely loud, and yeah, I need to be able to hear myself, and I need the crowd to hear me.

60w of tube is insanely loud. Keep in mind that 120w isn't much louder than 60w.
This will easily be loud enough to get over a drummer. The amp will also be mic'd at most gigs, so volume isn't an issue anyway.
I'll sell you my Peavey Ultra 120 head cheap and then you can find a cab
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 19, 2010,
^ Do this. The Ultra is the only head that will get you a decent half stack at this price range. Super high gain, insane amounts of volume, solidly built, all tube. You'll be able to grab a solid cab as well.

I've seen jcm900 half stacks go for your price range as well, but it's not as high gain or as nice of an amp IMO.

But seriously, you would be getting a far better deal on a good combo.
I have the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and I play a Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser through it. The thing is massively devastating. It easily plays with our drummer at about 4, and overpowers him at 6.5. We practice at a small venue and honestly you could take that combo anywhere and it'll work like a dream, mic'ed or not. I got mine brand new for $550 too.
Maybe Peavey Bandit 112? Never played one personally but I've heard them at gigs and they're plenty loud, bloody load for a combo , 85w should be enough. It also has plenty of tone and EQ settings. Its a Trans tube so its pretty close to a valve amp. Heard its got plenty of gain too.

Just my 20c
I got my Crate Blue Voodoo stack for $750 used and it has plenty of gain for what you're using. If you can get the head and cab as separate deals you could probably get it for around $600.

And surprisingly, the Crate Vintage Club (1x12" combo) is a very nice tube amp for its price. My friend bought one for about $300 and you can get some screaming tones from it if you put a boost/OD pedal over it.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'll sell you my Peavey Ultra 120 head cheap and then you can find a cab

Do this now! I mean it. NOW!

/Ultra fanboyism
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.