im trying to write a creepy riff as an intro and i think i might need a scale for it, but all the ones i know are already overused and i need to freshen things up, is there any particular scale that sounds creepy or can be used to create something creepy, like sweating bullets from megadeth, the intro is a good example of what im trying to do.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

Quote by sock_demon

*Shredding* BREAKER BREAKER, IVE GOT A DEAD HOOKER, OVER*Shredding*
Try to figure it out for yourself, if you're trying to emulate a certain intro, find out what scale that it was made from and go from there.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Music isn't all about scales. They're a great basis for writing, but they won't get you very far if you don't know how to use them. I suggest messing around with the major/natural minor scales. You can actually get sad, creepy, etc. sounds all out of the major scale if you know how.

Phrasing, tone, rhythm, and harmony are often far more important than what scale you choose to use. Plus you shouldn't limit yourself to scales. Go outside of scales. They can be altered/mixed.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jul 18, 2010,
well what i was doing is taking the major scale and starting from the bass note A and than selectively cutting out notes that didnt sound right for others that did until evantually i got some scale that im sure is out there that im already recreating so i just wanted to know what that was or if there already was a scale.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

Quote by sock_demon

Perhaps it would be more helpful to look for creepy intervals? Then find out what scales use those intervals? Then decide which scale best supports the ideas you have?
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by syke5
well what i was doing is taking the major scale and starting from the bass note A and than selectively cutting out notes that didnt sound right for others that did until evantually i got some scale that im sure is out there that im already recreating so i just wanted to know what that was or if there already was a scale.

Thats good! Don't worry about the names of scales. It may be obscure, but likely somebody out there has named it, but that's not really important. Let your ears guide you.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Hexatonic, Octatonic, and whole tone scales are cool. You could also try using all of the pitches.
yeah but its rather lengthy to convert the entire major scale lol
Quote by BrianApocalypse

Quote by sock_demon

Quote by syke5
yeah but its rather lengthy to convert the entire major scale lol
That's why you experiment with different stuff so you know how different intervals sound, then you can use them on the fly. For example, if you know how a b2 sounds in context, then you don't need to "convert" a whole scale.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Try harmonic minor. I believe that's roughly the scale used for the intro to sweating bullets. At least it does sound similar to it.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.