Hello everyone,

I am trying to improve my guitar skills but don't know where to start. I can play songs with simple strumming and chords but most of the time I have to go to youtube for tutorials. I have learned some solos and fingerpicking songs but they often take too much time to memorize. And sometimes, my skill level isn't good enough to make them sound good (eg acoustic canon d and hotel california solo). I have been looking at some finger gyms and exercises from various websites but don't know if they are really helping. I want to improve my skill but don't know where to start. Should I look into music theory more, practice scales/exercises, or just keep trying to learn new songs etc etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Pretty much everything you suggested is right. I would practice scales more, starting slowly with a metronome and increases the speed slowly to help gradually build speed. Learn some exercises to help build finger strength. Keep learning new songs and challenging yourself. If you keep it up you will see improvement before long. Keep you head up.
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
First question is: how long have you been playing?

Have you taken any formal lessons? What is your practice routine? How often and how long do you practice?

It's not really necessary to learn music theory, although it can help. Answer these questions and we'll go from there. Deal?
I have improved a lot from studying music theory and practice scales about 10-15 minutes a day.

But learning is individual, so try some different ways and see what fits you best.
Good luck!
Quote by misterteehee
Hello everyone,

I am trying to improve my guitar skills but don't know where to start. I can play songs with simple strumming and chords but most of the time I have to go to youtube for tutorials. I have learned some solos and fingerpicking songs but they often take too much time to memorize. And sometimes, my skill level isn't good enough to make them sound good (eg acoustic canon d and hotel california solo). I have been looking at some finger gyms and exercises from various websites but don't know if they are really helping. I want to improve my skill but don't know where to start. Should I look into music theory more, practice scales/exercises, or just keep trying to learn new songs etc etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Your impatience is your undoing young padawan; these things take time, as do all things, playing to a high standard takes years of hard practice.

Memorising things gets easier the more you do it though, you get to recognise patterns and familiar transitions the more you play, don't worry about it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If the finger gyms aren't working, try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrErZdZaGpw

Jeff Water's Spiderwalk. Its confuzzing as **** (it sounds horrible I know but its really interesting to play)
It'll help your string skipping and finger dexterity. Theres a tab in the video description, but if you figure it out by ear, I'll be better for your playing.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Last edited by Speckled_Hen at Jul 18, 2010,
I always found it more effective to practice technique over specific songs, If you work a lot on not just the scales, but improvising on them, and seeing different intervals, as well as speed tricks, will help you to improve much faster. Also, if you want to get good at finger-picking, just look at some chords and come up with a pattern on your own, eventually you'll be able to pull out patterns that sound really good, and are as effective as the pattern used in the actual song, with half the work
Quote by Speckled_Hen
If the finger gyms aren't working, try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrErZdZaGpw

Jeff Water's Spiderwalk. Its confuzzing as **** (it sounds horrible I know but its really interesting to play)
It'll help your string skipping and finger dexterity. Theres a tab in the video description, but if you figure it out by ear, I'll be better for your playing.

Is that tab listed anywhere else? My computer won't open winzip files...annoying.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592
Is that tab listed anywhere else? My computer won't open winzip files...annoying.

Why wont your PC open winzip files?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by KG6_Steven
First question is: how long have you been playing?

Have you taken any formal lessons? What is your practice routine? How often and how long do you practice?

It's not really necessary to learn music theory, although it can help. Answer these questions and we'll go from there. Deal?

Thanks everyone, for the great inputs. As for the questions KG6_Steven:

I have been playing for about 2 years but I wasn't serious, just learning new songs every few months.

I have not taken lessons and I don't really have a practice routine. Since I don't have school right now I have been playing 2-3 hours every other day but I wouldn't really call it practice as I just learn new songs and mess around with old ones.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Why wont your PC open winzip files?

Something about buying something to open them, I don't know.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Something about buying something to open them, I don't know.

You should try to download winrar. It's a free software. When it asks to purchase license, just click close and then extract.
I'll have to give that a go.

Quote by bogg808