Today I tried to continue recording vocals on a song I'm working on. So I setup what I use. Put up a mic stand, pop filter, put the mic (MXL 990) on the stand, setup my interface (ART USB Dual Pre http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-USB-Dual-Pre-TwoChannel-PreamplifierComputer-Interface?sku=703092 ), plugged in the mic, turned on phantom power, selected the track I was going to record on and armed it to record, and turned on monitoring. I recorded three takes of this short part of the song, but when I tried to listen to any of them, the vocals were so quiet they couldn't be heard of what else was there (guitar, drums, bass). The gain on the interface was up at a significant amount (says 30db on the interface), the usual amount I use for singing. I'm a quiet singer, but I'm not that quiet. I tried the other input, more gain, a different cable, taking the mic off the stand. Nothing worked until I tried my instrument mic (MXL 991) and it worked just as normal. So is the mic fried or something like that?

Just a quick list of what I'm using and stuff:
ART USB Dual Pre (Musician's friend link above)
MXL 990 (the nonworking? vocal mic)
Livewire (I think?) 20 ft. Cable.
Macbook version 10.6.4 Snow Leopord
Garageband
MXL 991 (the mic I used that worked)

It's not my first time using this setup to record vocals. I did it before back in April and a little in June. I've also used this mic for recording my amp, which worked pretty well. It worked fine just before, if you need to, just look in my profile, there's a few songs recorded in which I used that mic.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
is there a pad on the mic if so disable it and it should help
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
What do you mean by "is there a pad..."? It's a condenser mic. It has an output where you plug the cable in, I believe that's about it.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166 The mic that's in question at the moment is the 990, the bigger one.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Yours doesn't have a pad. A pad cuts the signal going into the mic in order to record really loud things. You may well have a faulty mic, did you buy it from a real store or the internet?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Internet, straight from Musician's friend. I've used it before without a single problem and satisfactory results (for the price and not from my voice haha).
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

So this is the first time it hasn't worked, after multiple previous uses with positive results?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
if its still covered, bring the mic back...sounds like it's broken.
but TBH you can also pick up a Shure SM58 for around $100 which also sounds quite good and wont pick up the room noise.

I use a SM57 (same as the 58) for my radio voiceovers and if you go to my website you can hear how good it sounds. See my sig for the link to my site.

But hey if the 990 has been working out great for ya and ya want, go get another.
Quote by Sid McCall
So this is the first time it hasn't worked, after multiple previous uses with positive results?

Yeah. I mean, it did capture some sound, but it was at way too low of a volume for any real use.

If it's still under some sort of warranty or whatever I could send it back for a new one, but I'm not sure if it is or not. If it's not, I just might not bother for now, I'm going to college in the fall as a Jazz performance major and I don't think I could really justify spending the cash to get a vocal mic. Plus, I've still got the MXL 991 as well. I'll have to check it out, because I really did like this mic.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

Call MF and get it exchanged for a good one, it's definitely broken. As far as getting an SM58, don't do that. I had one and I have a large diaphragm condenser and I would NEVER use a 58 for vocals ever again after using my condenser mic. Seriously, the 58 is garbage unless you're doing LIVE sound on a stage somewhere. I traded mine for a squier strat. No joke.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Yeah, I've tested a Shure SM58 against an MXL 991 (instrument mic, condenser) and I thought the MXL was 100000 times better in my eyes---err, ears. But will I be able to exchange it for a working one or no? They were ordered sometime back in December.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray

probably not, its been a good deal of time.

the 990 is only like $60-70 by itself, if you like it, then it isnt that much to grab a new one. there are some other options out there for not much more that might sound better though.
though if you cant spend the money right now, well it is worth asking MF if they will replace it. you never know, they just might.
I just found the warranty info it. "guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship for one year from date of purchase. should you encounter any problem, promptly contact the company you purchased it from for assistance...."

Now I just have to find the receipt for it.
Quote by obeythepenguin

Quote by ShadesOfGray