What are the advantages and any disadvantages of using two amps for one guitarist live and in recording?
Thanks.
a stereo rig generally just sounds bigger fuller fatter and more three dimensional. if you pick the amps well you can get a very full sound, and in a live situation it creates more space and dimension. like having two guitar players.

it also allows for some awesome effects paths through the use of stereo delay, and dry/wet blends.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Sounds good. At the moment I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe so I'm hoping to get another amp of similar price and quality, any recommendations? I've assumed the VOX AC30 may be a good choice?
Cheers.
if you want to delve into the world of stereo set ups... that sounds like a good choice to me. you can either use them individually with an AB pedal and a few overdrives for some varying sounds. seeing as how they are voiced very different you'd have a very vast tonal pallet this way.

or you can run them together for a very full sound. one ear hearing the chime and hair of a vox on the brink, sparkling but asking to growl. well the other ear will hear the warm clean awesomeness of american clean amplfication.

but yes, it is a lot to deal with when gigging.
Quote by iheartmy7
if you want to delve into the world of stereo set ups... that sounds like a good choice to me. you can either use them individually with an AB pedal and a few overdrives for some varying sounds. seeing as how they are voiced very different you'd have a very vast tonal pallet this way.

or you can run them together for a very full sound. one ear hearing the chime and hair of a vox on the brink, sparkling but asking to growl. well the other ear will hear the warm clean awesomeness of american clean amplfication.

but yes, it is a lot to deal with when gigging.

Really appreciate the advice mate!
Any other amp recommendations or would you go with the Vox?
Thanks.
Quote by jacko_17
Sounds good. At the moment I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe so I'm hoping to get another amp of similar price and quality, any recommendations? I've assumed the VOX AC30 may be a good choice?
Cheers.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=vox%20ac30%20head&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wv&fp=d571b3712fffe003

^theres a link to some videos, assuming your audio works on your PC(i.e. nothings wrong with it or so) this should be a fairly good way of finding out what u need to know about the amplifier's capabilities, next to actually trying it out at the store. Just keep these things in mind while longing for any amp: clean tone, drive tone, and other tone-shaping features, but I also assume you know what qualities you're looking for in an amp.
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Quote by jacko_17
Really appreciate the advice mate!
Any other amp recommendations or would you go with the Vox?
Thanks.

if you like the vox i'd go for it! im a decent fan of the AC30's and i built a matchless clone (basically a vox clone). its great for that "in between" kind of sound. you can strum softly and itll sound very clean and chimey in the upper mid range, whereas when you really dig in with your pick that upper mid range likes to distort nicely. kind of like a brighter marshall.

this in combination with a fender hot rod deluxe will be beautiful. if you keep the fender set clean then the sound will be even more 3D. you wont really notice the vox untill you really dig in and it starts to compete with the fender for tonal territory.

a dedicated overdrive sound might be hard to achieve tho so this option i'll leave up to you. you could use a volume pedal in front of the vox after an AB pedal and turn the vox up to half volume. then when you switch your to the OD on the fender you can let it overpower the vox's cleanish tone wilst still providing a background of chimey goodness. then when you need some extra drive you can wail up the volume pedal and push the box for both volume and dirt boost.

or you can use multiple combinations of pedals both before and after the AB split. running two amps provides you with a lot of possibilities and thats just the first one i could think of. so buy it and try it :P
running amps in stereo sounds awesome, i love doing it!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by C_majzer
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=vox%20ac30%20head&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbo=u&tbs=vid:1&source=og&sa=N&tab=wv&fp=d571b3712fffe003

^theres a link to some videos, assuming your audio works on your PC(i.e. nothings wrong with it or so) this should be a fairly good way of finding out what u need to know about the amplifier's capabilities, next to actually trying it out at the store. Just keep these things in mind while longing for any amp: clean tone, drive tone, and other tone-shaping features, but I also assume you know what qualities you're looking for in an amp.

That link doesn't work for some reason :S Could you send again?

But yeh thanks for the advice, I think I'll save for the VOX AC30, thats the hard part!! lol
I'll never use a non-stereo rig again! (well I can't bring it at my gigs most of the time, but you get what I mean, it's that amazing)

seriously though... I have one amp set on clean, the other is crunchy, very crunchy, entering the distortion area. Then, I have a big muff on my clean amp to get mah fuzz.
My signal goes like this:
tuner -> wah -> whammy -> A/B/Y
then, the A signal goes boost -> overdrive -> delay
my other path goes EQ -> big muff -> modulations -> reverb -> looper

Basically, I can get my clean and my crunchy and my fuzz. Additionally, I can play on crunch, and then immediately jump on my clean with a few effects on, then go back to crunch, then go on fuzz, without anyone noticing I'm turning 5 of em on/off

And maaan, having one on fuzz and the other on heavy crunch is just amazingly sounding! I have the clean one in a 4x12 and the crunchy one in a 2x12, so that's 6 speakers pushing some gain, it just feels and sound perfect
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but will the stereo set up of two amps still sound a lot bigger than just the one amp even when they aren't microphoned up?
Yes. Stereo separation is a very nice effect, especially if you've got the amps a good distance apart. Having one set clean and one dirty, at similar volumes, is also pretty cool. You can also ping pong delay, reverb, tremolo etc. across two different amps if you have a stereo pedal.

Basically, stereo setups are awesome except when you have to move them and pay for them.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes. Stereo separation is a very nice effect, especially if you've got the amps a good distance apart. Having one set clean and one dirty, at similar volumes, is also pretty cool. You can also ping pong delay, reverb, tremolo etc. across two different amps if you have a stereo pedal.

Basically, stereo setups are awesome except when you have to move them and pay for them.

Thanks for the tips! I suppose putting them at either end of a decent sized rehearsal room would sound top.

I don't mind the movement of them, it's the cost that's the issue for sure....

Thanks.