Page 1 of 4
How do you go about tipping people? And when and what is appropriate to tip?

Some things are pretty easy to figure out like a taxi and dinner at your local eating place, but some things are more tricky. How about movers? Pizza delivery guy? Of course service, time etc come into play.

I consider myself a generous tipper. What about you guys? what and how do you tip people?

Also, feel free to tell if you deserved a tip and got nothing.
Generous tipping FTW. It costs you an extra dollar or two and makes someone's day.
Quote by Scissortooth
How do you go about tipping people? And when and what is appropriate to tip?

Some things are pretty easy to figure out like a taxi and dinner at your local eating place, but some things are more tricky. How about movers? Pizza delivery guy? Of course service, time etc come into play.

I consider myself a generous tipper. What about you guys? what and how do you tip people?

Also, feel free to tell if you deserved a tip and got nothing.

For movers it depends on the time and how much they had to move,when I moved it took 4 hours and we had to take out something in the street,so we paid a bit more.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
I start out with the mindset that they aren't getting a tip. If they don't somehow make an impression on me, I won't tip. Pretty standard. I mean, a lot of them just assume they're getting/deserve a tip. But they don't because of their mediocre to shitty service. You're supposed to make my experience as easy and pleasant is possible. If you do that, you might get a little something extra.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Tip to insure promptness. so around 20% or $3-5 for pizza.

EDIT: I worked at a pizza place, and one of our drivers accidentally locked his keys in his car outside someones house. I delivered there next, after he quit, and got a $20 tip.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Last edited by Zombee at Jul 18, 2010,
you tip taxi drivers!?? they steal enough of my money with their prices for me to give them a tip...
I usually flip a 1€ coin or two. Mostly restaurants, and the pizza delivery guy. Nothing if the service sucked, of course.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
If it's less than $5, they don't get a tip.
$5-$10 gets $1, $11-$20 gets two, so on and so forth.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

I tip in the usual situations, i.e. restaurants, movers, that sort of stuff.

And if the person wasn't a total dick, I tend to tip very generously.
I got with a hooker when I had leprosy. I left her a nice tip
ohai little sig.
Sex.
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
I hate getting tipped, because your only doing your job which you get paid for anyway. I use to get tipped for doing the stupidest things like carry something to a car. However i do tip people if they were really nice and really helpful, things like going out of their way to help.
I Like Deathcore, Deal With It!
Quote by UntilISleep
Tip well when they are nice and helpful. Usually around 3-4% of the total cost.

You tip less then the jewish sterotypes.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by offspring_punk
I start out with the mindset that they aren't getting a tip. If they don't somehow make an impression on me, I won't tip.

Pretty much the opposite of this. For couriers/waiters/movers etc. they're providing me a service I didn't want to do and most of them work for tips. I'll only tip less/won't tip if they mess up pretty badly (and are at fault for whatever it was. A late delivery due to a slow kitchen isn't their fault).
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Jul 18, 2010,
I just usually slowly stick it in ... oooooh nevermind. I live in England and we don't tip
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
Since I work for tips myself (pizza guy) I tip very well. Take care of your pizza guys, we remember everything and we control when you get your food.
I dont know if maybe its a different country thing, but im in England an no one I know tips that generously really. Might be cos I'm a uni student, as are most of my friends.

I never tip taxi drivers, theyre overpriced as it is, they can keep the change though usually. Same applied to takewaway delivery people, they can keep the change if its not too much. I tip a couple of pounds at restaurants, no set % or anything though.

Edit: Maybe I'm just being a bit tight or grumpy lol but say you go out with mates and you all together spent £100, would you really tip an extra £20 just because the waiter managed to do his job properly ?
Last edited by -Reborn- at Jul 18, 2010,
What the ****? A tip is 12%. I'm never sure about pizza delivery boys, i'll tip them if they have to give me change. Who the **** works out 1% of a tenner? That's 10p for 5 miles in a cab. You bastards.
10-20%. None if they suck/are douchbags. I work in a grocery store, and though I know this is not common, we help people out to their cars a lot, especially in the snow/rain, yet nobody ever tips. We all make minimum wage, and it'd be nice if people did every once in a while, even if it was only a dollar or something.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

He tips twice as much as me
23 percent when the waitress or female in question is hot, to show that I'm a generous person, but not moreso than the average tipper, and that I can also calculate.
Quote by UntilISleep
Tip well when they are nice and helpful. Usually around 3-4% of the total cost.

How is tipping 3-4% "tipping well"?
No mother****ing way am I tipping a pizza guy 5 bucks. To me it's like this:

Resturant: 15-20% just because of the fear they might **** with my food the next time I'm there. Otherwise like 10%

Pizza: I tip like a buck for $10 order or 2 for a $20 one..you drove and brought me food. congrads. Hopefully they don't **** with my food

Barber: generally not, but a buck or so if they took their time and did a good job

Bartender: def a buck or two if buying mixed drinks so they don't give you watered down shit

Bellboy: neg, I'll carry up my own shit

Valet: eh maybe a few bucks so they dont **** up your car

...seeing a pattern here cuz I know I'm not the only one. You tip people so they don't **** up your food/hair/car etc.
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

I meant that i tip 3-4% for sub par/average jobs. If they are nice and helpful, I give them around 10%.
I don't tip because it's not really the done thing here, but it would really be good to know the etiquette of it. If I am in North America I can't exactly ask a waiter how much I'm supposed to tip him
Pizza guy usually gets a couple of bucks, waiters get a five unless it's a really nice restaurant then I tip 10 plus whatever makes the bill a nice round number. If the person I'm tipping is particularly friendly/helpful/attractive they may get a few extra on top of that.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Tool1986
No mother****ing way am I tipping a pizza guy 5 bucks. To me it's like this:

Resturant: 15-20% just because of the fear they might **** with my food the next time I'm there. Otherwise like 10%

Pizza: I tip like a buck for $10 order or 2 for a $20 one..you drove and brought me food. congrads. Hopefully they don't **** with my food

Barber: generally not, but a buck or so if they took their time and did a good job

Bartender: def a buck or two if buying mixed drinks so they don't give you watered down shit

Bellboy: neg, I'll carry up my own shit

Valet: eh maybe a few bucks so they dont **** up your car

...seeing a pattern here cuz I know I'm not the only one. You tip people so they don't **** up your food/hair/car etc.

Yeah they use their car and their gas to bring you your food that you were too lazy to get yourself. Not to mention dealing with the bad weather.
Quote by UntilISleep
I meant that i tip 3-4% for sub par/average jobs. If they are nice and helpful, I give them around 10%.

For the record, 10% is generally considered a bad tip.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I don't tip because it's not really the done thing here, but it would really be good to know the etiquette of it. If I am in North America I can't exactly ask a waiter how much I'm supposed to tip him

Around here, you can't go wrong with around 15%. Less for bad service and more if you're feeling generous and had good service.

And I wouldn't ever give a pizza delivery person less than 3 bucks. My house is kinda out of the way and annoying to find. More likely I'd give 'em a 5. If I'm too lazy to drive down there, it's my own fault that I'm paying more.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by darkcheef
I only tip if the waiter did a good job or if the food was good

Usually 1-2%

Never tip a waiter based on the food because they are not the ones cooking it. I always try to tip atleast 15% unless the persons rude or something.
Quote by BeastlyBassist
For the record, 10% is generally considered a bad tip.

Around here, you can't go wrong with around 15%. Less for bad service and more if you're feeling generous and had good service.

I don't like to tip.
Quote by BeastlyBassist

Where is here?

So do you just go 'and here's the tip!' or what? is it added on already as service? 15% of post-vat total? do people in tipping proffessions not expect to be giving change when given bills?

SO CONFUSING AND AWKWARD.
Quote by MatthiasSch
i don't give tips

I reopened this thread just to see this.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Where is here?

So do you just go 'and here's the tip!' or what? is it added on already as service? 15% of post-vat total? do people in tipping proffessions not expect to be giving change when given bills?

Usually you just leave it on the table at a restaurant. I've never tipped for anything else.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Where is here?

yeah it is.

At restaurants there's usually a line on the check that says "Tip". If you're paying by card, you write the amount there and add it on to the total line below. If you're tipping with cash, you leave it on the table as you're leaving.

And they will always give you change unless you tell them to keep the remainder.
Quote by UntilISleep

I don't like to tip.

Then make your own food.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press