Page 1 of 2
So today I spent about an hour in the car traveling to New Jersey. And I left with a Peavey 5150 60 Watt 212 Combo. I only got to play it for about 20 minutes but it sounds awesome. Was actually much crunchier than I had expected(which is a HUGE plus). That pretty much sealed the deal. My only worry is that it might be too loud to play in my house still, but a friend told me it's pretty quiet on the low input(i really only used the high).

I do like that when i'm not playing this thing is super quiet, almost no sound comes out, and when I start playing it roars.

Since it's too loud for me to play in my house right now(i live in a town house ), a full review is going to have to wait until tommorow. Later this week, before I sell my AVT, i'm going to try to do a SS, Hybrid, All Tube shootout, for all the 14 year olds that come on here asking what the difference between them all is. I think we'll get a lot less "which amp" threads with that.

This is the only pic I have right now, i'll take some more later.

Oh and P.S. the "666" setting sounds pretty good, obviously not perfect but good. It will probably have to be adjusted later though since I will most likely be running my TS9 through it.
happy new amp day!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
NOTHING will EVER stop the 'which amp' threads.....TRUST ME.

Happy NAD though. I hope you have a place to crank that thing at least once a week or so, b/c if not, eventually you'll feel like you're underusing it and you'll end up switching amps again...

I've got a 50 watter and regularly get to play it at 1/4 volume for church band, and in my house it's usually 1/8 with independent masters adjusted accordingly, and when jamming otherwise, it's whatever the hell i want it to be. Just be aware that if you rarely get to play it past even 1/4 volume, you'll be tempted to trade downwards in wattage.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Also the clean channel really isn't as bad as people say. I mean it's obviously not as good as the better Fender and Vox cleans, but still decent considering this amp is made mostly for metal.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
NOTHING will EVER stop the 'which amp' threads.....TRUST ME.

Happy NAD though. I hope you have a place to crank that thing at least once a week or so, b/c if not, eventually you'll feel like you're underusing it and you'll end up switching amps again...

I've got a 50 watter and regularly get to play it at 1/4 volume for church band, and in my house it's usually 1/8 with independent masters adjusted accordingly, and when jamming otherwise, it's whatever the hell i want it to be. Just be aware that if you rarely get to play it past even 1/4 volume, you'll be tempted to trade downwards in wattage.

Yeah this came to mind, but i'm not too worried. If I decide it's too loud i'm pretty positive I could probably resell this for more than I bought it for. I got a pretty good deal on it.

And i think I found people who want to buy my AVT and Strat, with those sales i'll pretty much even out completely, if not make some profit.
i think i've been away way too long...i don't even remember wth the 666 setting is
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I'm probably going to throw some new tubes in soon at some point. I'll probably atleast replace the 12ax7's myself first. Probably jj 6l6's, and maybe some sovtek 12ax7lps' in the preamp.
you know, i was thinking that was what it was...but i don't like to assume in the forums lol, that's dangerous! you hold more wisdom if you only state facts when you know they're facts!

thanks for the link though

i've just been extremely busy these past few months and slowly dipping back into the forums to help the kids like old times
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
was also thinking about putting some wheels(casters) on the bottom, anyone know a good play to get ones that will fit?
Quote by handbanana
was also thinking about putting some wheels(casters) on the bottom, anyone know a good play to get ones that will fit?

Hardware store.

HNAD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
so i finally got to give it a good run through this morning, and here's some thing i noticed.

On lower setting/volumes it was really hard to get good distortion(obviously) and see why they say the amp is biased very cold(it certainly is). On the high setting it was still hard to get distortion at low volumes, but once I plugged my TS9 in it got much better. The presence and resonance knobs help a lot too. And my guitars volume knob is very very sensative to the amp like said in here.

When on the clean with the crunch and bright switches on it actually sounds awesome. Good crunchy clean.

Unfortunately I think the reverb might be busted, it only works sometimes
Also the channel selector switch doesn't work, only can change channels through the footswitch, but I heard thats pretty common.

the '666' was good, but '777' sounded a little better to me. This amp has one of the most sensitive eq's i've ever used. Love the mids on this thing.

Also after checking out the tubes i've decided i'm probably going to replace them all soon. I hate the stock ruby's it has. Plus the 6l6's are looking a bit worn. I think i'm probably just gonna get a whole JJ retube kit.

My tubescreamer warmed it up a lot. I hate not using one with any amp tbh.

It's gonna be hard for me to get a good tone out of this since I can't play it that loud
I can only use it during the day when people are at work pretty much. And i'm selling my AVT today I believe. But I still have my trusty old LIne 6 Spider 3 15 in my room (not like anyone wants to buy it even if i tried to sell it)
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 19, 2010,
Nice upgrade.

HNAD

Retubing a new used amp is always a good idea. When you do it, replace each 12AX7 one by one and test it between each change. You will find one or more are still ok and worth keeping as spares. You have to do the two 6L6s together as a pair but keep the old ones as spares - you never know when you'll need 'em.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i'm probably going to change out all the 12ax7s cause i don't want ruby's. i might go with like 3 jj's and 2 sovtek lps's

also considering getting a weber mass or thd hotplate to complement it. Anyone know a cheaper attenuator?
Get a nice balanced JJ for the phase inverter. I'd use JJ's all through it probably. The Sovteks are a rugged little bugger but can be a bit tinny. A Sovtek in the tone stack (I'm guessing that's V2 as a cathode follower but I don't have the schematic handy to check) could be a good thing, they work quite well in that mode. If you can afford gold pin JJ's throughout, do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
that thing has spring reverb right? make sure the connectors are on all the way, could be the issue there. (it's usually something stupidly simple, kiss theory etc....)

Congrats.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Best investment I've ever made getting my 5150 combo. Although it really wasn't an investment. I traded some stupid dude a 1x12 Valveking combo. haha
Can anyone reccomend me a decent attenuator that isn't too expensive? The cheapest I've found is the tubejuiceinator for $130.
i really think an attenuator, possibly in conjunction with an eq and my tubescreamer, will produce a bit better tone at lower settings.
attenuators are expensive. if they fail you will lose your amp. don't take chances with that ish.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Hnad!
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard