Hey

I decide i want to start learn a neo classical playing style, but what should i learn ? I can use tapping, tremolo picking, alternative picking etc. Only problem is with sweep picking - i can do it but very slow. What should i learn about neo classical stle?
Well, I don't know too much about playing neoclassical, but I would study players such as Jeff Loomis, Malmsteen, Michael Romeo. Look up books and articles on the internet on neo classical licks, phrasing ect.

Good luck,

MrVoxguitar
Gaining speed with a metronome? These are the questions that haunt me
Quote by van01010100
harmonic minor scale
/thread

not quite /thread yet......

Yes. learn the harmonic minor scale in every key. Also learn how to construct arpeggios. Neo-classical makes wide use of them. Specifically diminished, augmented and diminished7th arpeggios. But know how to make them all, use of arpeggios in classical music in much more broad than major and minor.

Don't worry so much about sweep picking right away, focus on alternate picking, and keeping everything clean.

Also, if you're looking for a good song search this site for "Neo-Classical Sweep" it has simple three string arpeggios to practice your sweeping, but it also has extensive alt picking runs, string skipping and some legato.
Quote by yearzero
Don't worry so much about sweep picking right away, focus on alternate picking, and keeping everything clean.

I too am a neo classical fan, ive been working on the intro to the damnation game by symphony x since I started and I cannot even come close to playing it at actual speed. The amount of coordination required is rediculous. I practice it with a metronome almost every time I practice and try to keep it as clean as possible. I guess im progressing slowly but a few months ago I could barely manage 80bpm and now im upwards 100 or so.. but the song is at 186 if I recall

Since I am nowhere near to being able to play it at full speed, I do practice some parts as sweeps since its actually a lot easier I find

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann

Since I am nowhere near to being able to play it at full speed, I do practice some parts as sweeps since its actually a lot easier I find

If you find sweep picking easier to do in certain contexts than by all means play it that way. The only point I was trying to make is that it's always best to fine tune your fundamentals before you try to master an advanced technique. If you can sweep slowly but cleanly than keep practicing that, and only move up the speed that you're comfortable with.
goto tom hess website, they literally just came out with a free luca turilli 14 day lesson on neo classical style
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
goto tom hess website, they literally just came out with a free luca turilli 14 day lesson on neo classical style

I'd actually be interested in taking a look at this, I took a look around his site but couldn't find it.

Edit: Doesn't matter, I found it.

Edit 2: Just gone through part 1 and it blows. It was not only obvious, but simple and drawn out far too much... Maybe the other parts will delve into better stuff but I'm not expecting a great deal from this.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Last edited by Aleksi at Jul 19, 2010,
try learning other stuff first like iron maiden, megadeth stuff thats complicated in a way specially the solo's.......... also deep purple
Acoustic Guitars are not just for old people