Ok so right now im just checking around for basses. Can anyone give me and info on a sterling ray34? I cant seem to find much on it. And also when does the limited edition sliverburst end? Thankyou
current gear:
ld15 amp
fender j bass
sterling ray34
It's pretty much the poor man's Music Man Stringray. But, it's pretty much the same company like Squier by Fender. They're decent basses, I like them a lot. I'm actually looking at one too. I'd probably switch out the pick up though.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
No idea when the silverburst ends, but what would you like to know about the Sterling Ray's? Sterling is Musicman's new budget line (replacing the SUB that was so good they discontinued it). They're decent enough, and the closest thing you'll get to a real MM barring a SUB. Try one out if you can, its similar to a real Stingray, but just feels a bit cheaper and built to a lesser standard.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks. Is it good for slaping/pop? Also how verstile is it? And why cant i find any used ones online?
current gear:
ld15 amp
fender j bass
sterling ray34
The Ray's are excellent for slap and pop. They're designed to be budget MM's so they do pretty much anything a Stingray can do. Pretty versatile basses, they could be right at home in just about any genre.

You might have trouble finding used ones because they're fairly new, and haven't really been out long enough to get a good used market going. Plus they're a good mid-level bass, and I would imagine a lot of people just don't feel the need to part with them.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Maybe it was just me, but after playing a few Stingrays in guitar center I found that I love the Ray34 much more. If that were because of store wear or whatever, who knows, but hey.
the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn

Quote by Nolanrox
It's pretty much the poor man's Music Man Stringray. But, it's pretty much the same company like Squier by Fender. They're decent basses, I like them a lot. I'm actually looking at one too. I'd probably switch out the pick up though.

A better comparison would be Mexican Fender vs American Fender. Unlike Squier, the ray34 gets the same pickups and electronics as that of the American made stingrays. Plus the bass gets a final setup in the US before it gets off to the store front.
Quote by Skeletomania
A better comparison would be Mexican Fender vs American Fender. Unlike Squier, the ray34 gets the same pickups and electronics as that of the American made stingrays. Plus the bass gets a final setup in the US before it gets off to the store front.

Oh...See, I didn't know that.
Now I'm excited to get my Sterling =]
Thank you Mr. Skeletomania.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
The Sterling range is really great, just like a real Stingray IMO. My only gripe is that the lacquer on the headstock gets a bit too close to the back of the neck so if I'm on the first fret it feels a bit uncomfortable. The neck isn't lacquered which makes it uber fast, it's great. Just that little bit of lacquer is a bit annoying :P Definitely doesn't stop it from being an excellent bass though
Out of curiosity, would you suggest buying a Sterling, or saving up the money for a Stingray?
^I'l admit I bought a fretless Stingray before trying a SUB or a Sterling Ray. All three will fit the bill for what you are looking for in a bass.

However, if it was me and could wait to get a bass, I'd save up for a EBMM Stingray. They play and feel so much better than their lower end cousins. And you can find used ones at decent prices as well.
The example you gave, is an F Power chord, by placing your first finger on the 1st fret of the E string and your third finger on the A string (5th string) on the 3rd fret, is a C note. The 3rd fret on the 4th string (a.k.a. the D String), is yes, the Root note, which is still an F note... so you see, you've played three strings, but only have hit 2 actual notes. The missing note here, would be the A note, if you wanted to make this a full F major chord..... OR, the Ab/G# note to make it a full F minor chord.