Hi.

So I have a Gibson Les Paul (Studio Version) mahogany body, humbucker pickpups in MINT CONDITION, brand new Les Paul 8g strings and awesome tone signed by Greg Kihn.

I really want a cherry sunburst (les paul standard) - kinda the one that Jimmy Page (not custom though).

Do you think I could trade this in?
I would post pictures but I don't have my camera with me at the moment..I also have equipment and amplifiers I could trade in along.
I wouldn't, but it would depend how someone valued the Greg Kihn sig.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Of course you could trade it if you wanted to. I don't know how much you'd get for it, but you could try find someone who's willing to trade for something you're looking for.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
Of course you could trade it if you wanted to. I don't know how much you'd get for it, but you could try find someone who's willing to trade for something you're looking for.

How the hell do you find someone with a cherry sunburst besides Guitar Center?
Quit wasting your time with Gibsons. Trade that piece in for a Fender or PRS. Heck, even a parker would be a huge upgrade.
Quote by jsspang
Quit wasting your time with Gibsons. Trade that piece in for a Fender or PRS. Heck, even a parker would be a huge upgrade.

lulz, anti-Gibby alert.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
GC sells used studios for $600 and a used Cherryburst Standard for something like $1600 at least. The signature isn't worth 1k unfortunatly. You would need to put quite a bit of money towards it I assume. Good luck though!

EDIT: To the other guy, seriously, you dont know where to find another Gibson LP. Please be trolling.

Doubleedit: I do know however that they do make a cherryburst Studio, you just may have to search a little harder to find one, and you would most likely still have to put money towards it.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by RockThatLesPaul
How the hell do you find someone with a cherry sunburst besides Guitar Center?

Craigslist, man. It's a beautiful thing.

EDIT: Also, don't trade it in. You won't get anywhere near what it's worth. Sell it, then put the money toward the one you want, or find someone willing to trade for it.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Last edited by kaosxrocker at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by jsspang

Gibson is the Elvis of guitars.

A Les Paul is 2-3x more than a Fender.
Quote by RockThatLesPaul

And with good reason. Sorta.

But Fenders are still great guitars.
standards go for about $2600 new. but you can get a cherryburst traditional for $1900 brand new which is pretty similar.

Keep in mind that if you sold your guitar to somewhere like guitar center, they will probably only give you around $400ish for you Studio. I know it sounds crazy but they buy to resell. They only offered me $225 for my MIM Tele, and only offered my friend $275 for his Gibson SG Special.
Quote by handbanana
standards go for about $2600 new. but you can get a cherryburst traditional for $1900 brand new which is pretty similar.

Keep in mind that if you sold your guitar to somewhere like guitar center, they will probably only give you around $400ish for you Studio. I know it sounds crazy but they buy to resell. They only offered me $225 for my MIM Tele, and only offered my friend $275 for his Gibson SG Special.

I saw a guitar exactly like mine on Ebay for $699, and another for $550.
Do you think I could sell it for a deal like that and get a good amount of buyers?

Edit:
It's also signed by Greg Kihn -ON-THE-GUITAR-, does that boost it?
don't want to be unkind but your greg kihn sig really isn't going to increase the value of your guitar any. there is no way you will get anywhere's near the money for it to get the guitar you said you wanted. just put some better pickups in the guitar you have and it will sound better. guitar color does nothing to effect the sound so why worry about it?
which studio do you have? I see the regular ones go used for betwen $600-900, and the fadeds for got around $500 used. Craigslist is definitely your friend when it comes to gear
Craigslistis my favorite thing in the world
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I love Gibson guitars yet hate them at the same time because they're so obscenely overpriced....
Quote by RockThatLesPaul

Gibbys are insanely overpriced for the lousy quality control associated with Gibson. I would never pay that much for a Gibson, I'd take a fender in a heartbeat, and the only guitar I've played in months is an agile les paul.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Gibbys are insanely overpriced for the lousy quality control associated with Gibson. I would never pay that much for a Gibson, I'd take a fender in a heartbeat, and the only guitar I've played in months is an agile les paul.
Thats why you don't buy it new... They make some of the best guitars out there, and some are easily worth the several thousand dollar price tag. If the TS wants a Gibson, then let it be.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by Ishiga

this why I don't like gibsons...

I'm happy with epiphones, and just souping them up.

whether or not you buy a gibson brand new or not...most the time you're paying for a name on the headstock...

you deserve better for the cash you pay.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
this why I don't like gibsons...

I'm happy with epiphones, and just souping them up.

whether or not you buy a gibson brand new or not...most the time you're paying for a name on the headstock...

you deserve better for the cash you pay.

SHUT UP YOUR WRONG epi does not equal gibson get over your cheap guitar

OT: go here and type in the model and make and it will find every guitar like that in your area, ebay, craigs etc

http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
SHUT UP YOUR WRONG epi does not equal gibson get over your cheap guitar

RUDE
Quote by CL/\SH
RUDE

no, one of these ****ers always show up whenever gibson is mentioned. their quality is not comparable. gibson isnt stupid enough to sell a guitar of similar quality for thousands cheaper.
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by Skagasm
no, one of these ****ers always show up whenever gibson is mentioned. their quality is not comparable. gibson isnt stupid enough to sell a guitar of similar quality for thousands cheaper.

Or are they... DUN DUN DUN!

What happened to TS? TS, if you haven't been abducted by aliens, just make the trade if you can, but I'm thinking you'll need to pay more outright. GC will offer you like 60% of what you can really get for that guitar, give or take. Sell it, and buy your Gibby Cherryburst.
If TS wants a gibby, by all means let him have one. I've noticed any epi or gibson I've played that was made in 2004 or later has had a really sticky neck and shotty quality. So if he wants a Gibby, he needs to look for a 90's model used gibby. I'm not a gibson hater, it's just new gibsons that piss me off. Their CEO change screwed them up bad. I still prefer les paul clones.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Skagasm

no they sell a shit guitar to a dumbfuck for thousands more expensive, learn 2 get what I said.

the only difference I noticed with a 335 and my dot was the thinner and quicker neck on the 335...I would not pay 4 to 5 grand more for that luxury.
yo.

I BELIEVE
It's true that some of the newer Gibsons are of a very poor quality. Definitely not comparable to the Gibbys of the 60's,70's and 80's.

And it is true that some Epiphones are of the same quality of Gibsons. Gibsons are very hit or miss these days. If you pick up a Les Paul it could be great. But there is an equal chance of it being shit as well.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
no they sell a shit guitar to a dumbfuck for thousands more expensive, learn 2 get what I said.

the only difference I noticed with a 335 and my dot was the thinner and quicker neck on the 335...I would not pay 4 to 5 grand more for that luxury.

do you honestly think that gibson is that stupid as too have an only difference between 2200 and 400 is a neck size? if you cant tell the differences in the tone than thats great but i can the gibson has a whole range of tones that just spill out of it while as the epi is flat.
roland AC90

If it was me I wouldn't be overly eager to trade one guitar for a nearly identical sounding one. Learn to like what you've got. But that's just me.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

You are so wrong... that this is the only necessary response.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
i like where this thread went...

wow.

TS - no the signature won't help it much imo.
Quote by gregs1020
i like where this thread went...

wow.

TS - no the signature won't help it much imo.

yeah.

so many dumbasses who get pissy because they can't afford gibsons

It is true that gibsons are very unpredictably inconsistent but i've yet to find a gibson that was genuinely a "bad quality" guitar but i've played plenty i just didn't like. most of the "bad" gibsons you guys may or may not have played are the result of personal preferences not being compatible with the individual quirks of particular instruments, and poor factory setups.

Not that i'm denying that gibson are a bit overpriced, but you know what? so are epiphones. Expensive and overpriced are not the same thing. You're paying the same percentage of the price for the name with epiphone that you are with gibson because believe it or not, epiphone are just as much of an iconic brand name. Ever heard of... the beatles?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
if your in the USA searchtempest.com will be better than jaxed

also if you can't tell the difference between a dot and a real 335 you probably don't even know how to play guitar