I recently got ernie ball super slinky ones, but they may be a bit too thin. is there any other specific ones for punk music?
i like dunlop mediums, theyre pretty tough. i've never broken one.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Yeah just get regular slinkys.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
take your ernie ball strings and throw them in the garbage...

no really, throw them in the garbage...

but honestly, take your guitar to a tech, and have him throw your ernie balls in the garbage.

use daddario. but seriously(really this time lol) i use .10-.52 gauge(daddario of course ) mine are light top heavy bottom, i suggest looking for .10 gauge but with a regular bottom i think its like .10-.48 or something
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150

but honestly, take your guitar to a tech, and have him throw your ernie balls in the garbage.

use daddario. but seriously(really this time lol) i use .10-.52 gauge(daddario of course ) mine are light top heavy bottom, i suggest looking for .10 gauge but with a regular bottom i think its like .10-.48 or something

XL's? they are great!

also, colour coded
Is bad ass one or two words?
Quote by wokandmurrys
XL's? they are great!

also, colour coded

and come in more environmentaly friendly, and simultaneously higher quality packaging than most(imo)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Seriously...different strings by genre now? Especially punk. ****in' a.

Find some that feel good and go play.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Linqua5150

okay, but can you still do string bends cuz i play a bit of metal too...?
Quote by CheesePopcorn
okay, but can you still do string bends cuz i play a bit of metal too...?

metal capitalizes on thick strings, and the ones you want are very thin. even i play thinner strings than many metal players would like, difference is i play prog too ha. my friends who basically only play metal use .12-.70 (6strings) to put things into perspective.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
I'm getting tired of this threads that ask what you need to play punk, It's effin punk! ALl you need is a guitar,amplifier and a whole lot of frustration and your set to go!
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

my bad, my friends use .12-.60 on 6 string, and .12-.70 on 7 string i think. .70s on a six string would be a bit too thick hah. but regardless, my friends can still do bends on those thick strings youll be fine.

you basically just need a standard set, go for these youll love them daddario makes great strings

http://store.daddario.com/category/145784/EXL110_Regular_Light_10-46
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Gord@k
I'm getting tired of this threads that ask what you need to play punk, It's effin punk! ALl you need is a guitar,amplifier and a whole lot of frustration and your set to go!

Thank you. There seems to be this epic level of ignorance about what punk is...kinda sad.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by Linqua5150
and come in more environmentaly friendly, and simultaneously higher quality packaging than most(imo)

Yeah because the first thing a punk would care about is what a good citizen he is and how piously he conforms to the latest fluffy religion.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Linqua5150

and they come in plastic lol. Environmentally friendly all right.

But, yea daddario are really good for everything!

i have 2 guitars one with ernie ball and one with daddario and i bought 2 packs of stings 1 ernie ball 1 daddario and now i dont want my Ernie ball anymore Although they are pretty good strings
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah because the first thing a punk would care about is what a good citizen he is and how piously he conforms to the latest fluffy religion.

well i was just saying cuz they write it all over the package, and i like that they are more environmentaly friendly. whether the OP cares about this is of no concern, he just wants some good strings and im spreading the epic word of daddario.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
well i was just saying cuz they write it all over the package, and i like that they are more environmentaly friendly. whether the OP cares about this is of no concern, he just wants some good strings and im spreading the epic word of daddario.

Yeah, yeah I know. I just couldn't resist a dig at the idea that a punk would be concerned about such things. Too funny to pass up.
PS: I use D'Addaro myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Aashraya
and they come in plastic lol. Environmentally friendly all right.

But, yea daddario are really good for everything!

thats why i said "more environmentally friendly" they use less packaging, not packaging made of dirt. seriously, open a pack of ernie balls and first of all its unsealed plastic(which is my first complaint) and second theres like 2 or 3 8.5x11 pages worth of paper around the strings, which are basically already corroded because of the bad seal.

daddario have vacuum sealed plastic that protects the strings, and one piece of cardboard as packaging.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
i use real cat gut.

Now THAT'S punk! Especially if you kill the cat yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Now THAT'S punk! Especially if you kill the cat yourself.

Oh, it's not dead yet.

EVEN PUNXER

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Oh, it's not dead yet.

EVEN PUNXER

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mcraddict81592

I've honestly no idea where this idea came from. I've never heard of specific strings being able to perform any specific genre better.

TS, get strings that are cheap but good.

/thread.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
I've honestly no idea where this idea came from. I've never heard of specific strings being able to perform any specific genre better.

TS, get strings that are cheap but good.

/thread.

That's what I'm saying...try reading that again.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592

For real. Next it will be "What picks for my genre?" or "What kind of chair should I sit in when I play metal?"

The answer is "whatever feels right.

Quote by Linqua5150

Once again...use whatever feels right.

And for the record, in the opinions of Steve Vai, John Petrucci (nowadays), Slash, and many many MANY others...Ernie Balls are what feel right.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by mcraddict81592
That's what I'm saying...try reading that again.

Yeah, Ivwas reiterating what you were saying...
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
aww dude. that's not punk. be nice to animals. i find dead ones on the highway.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
yeah i understand theres no strings for a certain genre, or just because its punk, you shouldnt care...

sorry kinda stupid thread, but thanx for the help
Quote by Gord@k

This, i never knew to play punk you had to have amazing gear and perfect tone.. :|
Quote by Linqua5150

This guy is correct about the Ernie Balls, I have no idea why they are so popular. Maybe the luminous packets attract people or something?

D'Addario is the way to go - they make both bright sounding and dark sounding strings, also strings made from different materials etc.

The gauge is up to you, it's about what you personally prefer the feel of, regardless of genre, nobody can tell you what gauge of strings to use. Unless ofcourse you're tuning down really low and you need heavier strings that keep the tuning.

If the ones that you got were too think, get some thicker ones, I wouldn't reccomend going past 12s though if you don't know what you're talking about.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
This guy is correct about the Ernie Balls, I have no idea why they are so popular. Maybe the luminous packets attract people or something?

D'Addario is the way to go - they make both bright sounding and dark sounding strings, also strings made from different materials etc.

The gauge is up to you, it's about what you personally prefer the feel of, regardless of genre, nobody can tell you what gauge of strings to use. Unless ofcourse you're tuning down really low and you need heavier strings that keep the tuning.

If the ones that you got were too think, get some thicker ones, I wouldn't reccomend going past 12s though if you don't know what you're talking about.

that sounds good thanx