long story short, ive been looking for a versatile amp for a while now, 2 channel, independent eq, pristine cleans to crushing gain etc. of course the egnater renegade does all this. and being a fan of paul gilbert and opeth(huge fan), ive grown quite fond of laney tones. ive been to guitar center and played the renegade many times and thought it was very very impressive. sometimes i just wish it had a little more gain on tap, because at times when i try to get like opeth, dream theater, cynic ish tones, ill just generalize and say prog metal, idk it just seems to like graze it but not nail it. idk if it was just the tubes in it or what or my settings, (i do recall one time getting alot of gain out of it after my friend messed around with the main 1 and 2 switches tho) or what.

then comes laney. laney is very scarce in my area, the only one ive actually seen is a 15 watt solid state laney practice amp. i have to drive almost 2 hours to even touch a gh100l, which i havent done yet. ive never really played a laney. ive been looking for months for a vh100r, and i finally found one used across the country at a music go round store. they retail new for $1300 ish and the one i found is selling for $650 +50 for shipping. ive contacted them and put an amount on the head so they would put it in layaway for me so it would be there and i would have time to think.

last week i was almost dead set on the vh100r(impulsively) but then i actually got down to thinking about it. ive never played it, nor do i have access to one to play. i have access to the renegade whenever i want. i could get this laney and hope for the best at around $700 or save up $200 more and go for the egnater(15% off trade deal at GC) im definitely going to go to GC and spend more time with the renegade before i make my final decision(and of course after help from UG )

like, i know the laney will get me the gain i want(basically, i want it to be able to do heir apparent by opeth and ill be fine) and the versatility, but ive never played it, and i dont know if they even have an online return policy, the only one on their site i found said it was for 48 hours past the time of receipt. or i can try to save up 200 more dollars, get something i have experience with, with a seemingly warmer and a bit fuller sounding tone, a return policy, and have an overall better feeling about it.

so, what would you guys do?

oh just a few notes, the reason im reaching far and wide and dont just buy a valveking or something if because i must have el34 british esque tone, and it seems to be alot harder to find and expensive, at least in america. also, admittedly influencing my dilemma is the overwhelming bias of this forum(though i try to be unbiased) to egnater, and simply it just feels better buying from a guy like that.

also i forgot but havent ruled out the possibility of buying a used renegade head from GC
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I'm surprised you didn't think the Egnater didn't have enough gain. I thought it had almost too much but that's me. Either way, the Renegade is a great amp, and the ability to dial in between the 6L6 and EL34 tubes is great.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
The Renegade has a bit of gain.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
do you think it can get what i want? the only reason i ask is because its been a while since i could sit and mess with one. and like i said, it may have just been the tubes that were in it. and another thing that makes me feel like it doesnt have a ton of gain, is the question of if it did, why would he be making the armageddon and vengeance?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
do you think it can get what i want? the only reason i ask is because its been a while since i could sit and mess with one. and like i said, it may have just been the tubes that were in it. and another thing that makes me feel like it doesnt have a ton of gain, is the question of if it did, why would he be making the armageddon and vengeance?

well it's the second channel that has a bit of gain, the first channel doesnt get very heavy but the second one does. It is a very versatile amp, and can get tons of different sounds out of it. If you need some more gain though an overdrive pedal could always be an option.
Lets jump in a pool

the only thing is i dont really like using pedals to change the tone or gain or whatever unless its a *solo* boost. especially since if you have it on, and want to switch channels, it seems like itd be hard to get a good clean sound unless you had to hit two pedals every time you wanted to switch channels
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
the only thing is i dont really like using pedals to change the tone or gain or whatever unless its a boost. especially since if you have it on, and want to switch channels, it seems like itd be hard to get a good clean sound unless you had to hit two pedals every time you wanted to switch channels

yea true true

heres a pretty good review of the amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS-b1jPgTCU&feature=related
Lets jump in a pool

i was actually just watching that earlier lol it seems like he gets a decent amount of gain out of it, but it really doesnt translate over youtube you know? and a side note, that guy is obsessed with his damn OCD pedal i want to punch him in the face every time he kicks it on. i hate when people do amp reviews with pedals, i want to hear the amp, not your crazy set up.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by Linqua5150
i was actually just watching that earlier lol it seems like he gets a decent amount of gain out of it, but it really doesnt translate over youtube you know? and a side note, that guy is obsessed with his damn OCD pedal i want to punch him in the face every time he kicks it on. i hate when people do amp reviews with pedals, i want to hear the amp, not your crazy set up.

yea it gets annoying when they do that
Lets jump in a pool

What about the 6534+?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
not really a fan of peavey. ive tried the 3120, it has el34, but it sure as hell feels like 6l6s. they just love their american tone. my friend has a valveking, its pretty cool but again i just dont like the feel of 6l6
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
get the egnater... you know you want it....

Lets jump in a pool

Quote by Linqua5150
not really a fan of peavey. ive tried the 3120, it has el34, but it sure as hell feels like 6l6s. they just love their american tone. my friend has a valveking, its pretty cool but again i just dont like the feel of 6l6

The 3120 and VK are very different amps compared the 6505 series...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i know i want it shhhh lol

and i have tried a 6505 before as well(forgot lol) i liked it better than the other peaveys but it obviously wasnt very memorable either lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
do you absolutely need too channels?
I can sell you a brand new laney gh100l for 900 bucks that will have more gain then most anything you'll ever need.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
yea i need two channels. theres a ton of used gh100ls on GC used for like 600 or 700 i wouldve bought a while ago if i didnt lol

EDIT: and doesnt the v100r and gh100l hve the same overdrive channel/circuit anyway?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jul 18, 2010,
Um...the Renegade makes my Rebel 20 seem like an acoustic amp...

...well not really, but still...there's a lot of gain to be had.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Um...the Renegade makes my Rebel 20 seem like an acoustic amp...

...well not really, but still...there's a lot of gain to be had.

there is alot of gain, but i almost feel like its just almost enough you know? at least from what i remember. i really do have to go back in and play it. it seems like the laney has more than enough for what im looking for. and im kind of wary of what fastredponycar says, he loves that damn ocd pedal too much, and ive talked to him before on multiple occasions. he has some of the best videos of the renegade out there, but every time he tries to play something high gain he stomps that damn pedal.

and like i said, its just more reassurance because if it had high gain why would bruce have a motive for even considering the Armageddon and vengeance? if youve seen the video of where they "demo" the armageddon, he turns the gain up to show the isp decimator, and you can just tell it has like twice the gain the renegade does.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
ya the renegade/tourmaster isn't his highest gain amp. I mean to be fair it's not so much only gain as it is voicing.
go with the renegade. i own one.

not only does it have enough gain. but it has a boost function for each channel to add more volume and gain when you need it
id like to keep it as cheap as possible, i have almost 700$ right now, and tbh its a RARE occasion i even have that much. i do have the opportunity to get more tho, i can ebay an ipod touch and some other things ive been meaning to get around to.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Oh alright. I've seen bruce's grail amps go for ridiculous amounts recently.

That one is a bit pricey at 1700. but one just sold at 1400.

gah why didn't i but it.
and why would you guys vote renegade over the laney?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
i actually think for what you want the laney might be better.
I really like the gh100l and I know mexi-shred likes them a lot too. it's got tons of gain on tap and then you hit the drive button and it just goes to crazy town.
tone wise, disregarding gain, which amp?
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
well, at this point im thinking the renegade will do everything i want and have great tone, but part of my reason for wanting more gain on tap is, i dont know what everything is ill want to do you know? lol. i was just listening to ayreon and porcupine tree and i was just like, thats all the heavier i want to go. but itd be great to pull of opeth heavyness and other heavier styles, my friends are like straight metal heads after all and ill probably be jamming alot with them. though i suppose it might be alright to use a boost for that haha. idk i think im leaning toward the egnater, but damn, it is 200 more dollars. i could do some ebaying and get it, but if i get the laney ill be able to do ebaying and get other gear get what im saying? decisions decisions lol.

you know that one part in family guy when peter has to choose ernest goes to the beach and ernest doesnt go to the beach? thats how i feel hhahaha

EDIT: you guys know anyone nice enough to record some opethy stuff on their rengade one here? lol
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jul 19, 2010,
yea im actually planning to get either a tube screamer or an mxr boost for a clean solo boost. im gonna have my clean channel crystal clear and the boost will be very nice for solos.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
grr i used your lookup link and there is a renegade head for the same price as the laney im looking at but its on cragslist and its across the state
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
I don't think the renegade is going to do it for u in terms of gain.
IMO the Renegade has more gain on tap than is used on any Opeth or PG song. Opeth uses Mesa Rectifiers (Triples IIRC) and Line 6 Pods in the studio FYI.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

I dunno. I played the dual rec roadster combo, the renegade combo, and a jvm401 head + 412 today.

The renegade has a bunch of gain but it's real smooth. I didn't think it had nearly as much as the raodster or the jvm did

The laney gh100l blows all three of those amps away in terms of gain on tap, especially with the drive toggle engaged. It's not even close.