I'm getting a new guitar in a few days, mainly for shred, metal, and such. I'm really setting down to the Sam Totman Iceman sig or a Dean Razorback. Which one is best out of the two? What else would you suggest?

I'm running through a 60 watt Kustom WAV210. godly.

Iceman: http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_STM1%20Sam%20Totman%20Iceman%20Electric%20Guitar%20White_-1_10052_10002_-49955857?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Solid%20Body%20Electric-_-STM1%20Sam%20Totman%20Iceman%20Electric%20Guitar%20White-_-ISTM1WHXX

Razorback: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Dimebag-Razorback-Two-Tone-Electric-Guitar-511939-i1147418.gc

Please, no hating on Dragonforce. Or the Dime.
!
They're both pretty big guitars man. I don't shred, but i assume you don't want something that's gonna be big bulky and weigh you down alot.
The Iceman would probably be better than the Razorback, Dean's quality isn't too high.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
im not a big fan of ither of those and i own a razorback i dont like the v neck personally for shredding i like my esp ec1000 or my ibanez s2170se

tmf i see you like my amp
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Last edited by selkies at Jul 18, 2010,
i'm biased towards the STM1, because I have one, but my bandmate has a Dean Razorback so I have an experience of playing it,

The Razorbacks have a bigger neck whereas the STM1 has a really slim neck, it all depends on what style you want to play so what do you like to play?
The Dean's aren't too good quality, and the tone is very generic out of them. Imo go for the iceman
Most of my grindcore inspiration comes from my hard drive.
i'd go Ibanez then. Razorbacks are so uncomfortable to play sitting or stand, and the balance is all ****ed up. a guy up there said deans quality isn't that high, which is completely true but in my opinion Ibanez isn't great either. Have another look around though, theres better guitars out there for less money. You just need to have a good look.
i suggest you try both out somewhere, because its all personal preference. I picked the Ibanez up in the shop and instantly fell in love with it and new it was the one, but its all personal preference.
For instance people complain alot about the Ibanez EDGE III trem you get on the STM1, i don't see whats wrong with it and love it.

So try both out and find which you like better
I say Dean. as you guys can see, I have one from each company, so its non biased. i prefer the Dean, although both are very comfortable, and the Deans are no where near as heavy as my Mockingbird(agathis body). but to be on the safe side try to get your hands on each before putting any cash down.
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
i would almost say look at a 7 string if you are that type of shred, ie Rusty Cooley, Jeff Loomis, both of their signatures are awesome but i'm sure the Schecters are cheaper
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
neither. get a regular iceman, put dimarzio evos in it. save money
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Whenever I see someone playing a razorback I laugh, unless they can really play.

Does anyone know if that Iceman has that goofy-assed wizard neck?
Quote by Arterial
May I ask, why you narrowed it down to either of these two?

I'm wondering this as well.

In my opinion you should go for the Iceman. My friend's brother has the Dean and it is just obnoxious. It's huge and I disliked the tone out of it. That's just my opinion though, you might like it. Go play them and find out for yourself
God.... Dean... Where to begin with them. My guitar store just started carrying them a few months back and I have played all the ones they have on the wall, including numerous Razorbacks, and I just can't stand them. They look ridiculous and they don't stay in tune well at all, and they just aren't that good quality. Dean just *****s Dime's good name for money, it makes me sick. Also, my friend bought a Vendetta and the input jack broke in a month.

Go for the Ibanez.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
I don't like Ibanez or Dean....
But I'd say go for the Iceman, maybe not the Sig though.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
If you want a trem, for that kind of money I'd look for something with an original floyd rose or an Edge pro
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by ninjaapirate
God.... Dean... Where to begin with them. My guitar store just started carrying them a few months back and I have played all the ones they have on the wall, including numerous Razorbacks, and I just can't stand them. They look ridiculous and they don't stay in tune well at all, and they just aren't that good quality. Dean just *****s Dime's good name for money, it makes me sick. Also, my friend bought a Vendetta and the input jack broke in a month.

Go for the Ibanez.

Dude one thing you have to understand about the Dime stuff, He WANTED all of that. The only thing that wasn't designed by him before he died was the new amp that dean released.

and Vendetta are the cheapest Dean you can buy so yeah they're going to break
Quote by DLXJRVO
Dude one thing you have to understand about the Dime stuff, He WANTED all of that. The only thing that wasn't designed by him before he died was the new amp that dean released.

and Vendetta are the cheapest Dean you can buy so yeah they're going to break

He designed the shapes, I don't think he specified that he wanted about a thousand different sub-par models with his name plastered on them.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by ninjaapirate

Go for the Ibanez.

Really? I tune my MLX once maybe every 2 weeks, and I play for 30 minutes daily at the very least. Albeit I don't have a trem on mine, that could be it. Anyways, I can't really speak for either since I've never seen either in person(Newfoundland only seems to deal MIA Fenders, LTD MHs, Gibsons and Ibby RGs/Ses...there's nothing I'm a big fan of...;_, but if you don't mind those little munchkin necks on the Ibanezes(some people like them for shredding but they feel like twigs to me, plus I've got fairly big hands, so...) I'd go for that, if you don't like the necks(like me) I'd go Razorback. There's a lot of negative talk about Dean's craftsmanship, and the port on mine busted too, but 1)I had a cheap model, and 2)It takes 30 seconds to solder it back in, so I don't see the big fuss.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
While I haven't had a Dean guitar worthy of a horror story. I personally say go for the Iceman, looks better, better quality, and it's less overpriced than the Dean. Plus when you get older you'll realize how stupid the Razorback looks and thank your socks you didn't buy it.

Also I think the only "normal iceman" with a floating trem was discontinued, so you'll have to look used for them. (I dunno what the model was)