Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, thought it'd be fun to ask what everyones favourite rhythm/lead tone is.

Format:

Rhythm: X song by Y Band
Lead: X song by Y Band

For me it'd be..

Rhythm: Rose of Sharyn by Killswitch Engage
Lead: Coldy Calculated Design by The Faceless

maybe.
Last edited by Arterial at Jul 18, 2010,
Rhythm: Where Is My Mind? by Pixies
Lead: Hummer by Smashing Pumpkins

I'll admit, I'm a minimalist at heart.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Gyoung1991

for vocal tone right?

lead tone doesn't get any better than Eric Johnson. cleans too.

distorted rhythm i'd have to give to Petrucci.
Lead: Ryan McKnight from The Black Dahlia Murder (Deflorate)
Rhythm: Scott Middleton from the Cancer Bats.

I dont have a favorite song, because their tone is in their music.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Jul 18, 2010,
Rhythm:

All New Materials - Periphery. Or in fact anything from the album, Misha is a tone GOD.

Lead:

The first leads to Waves by Guthrie Govan, gotta love that Cornford snarl.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Rhythm:

All New Materials - Periphery. Or in fact anything from the album, Misha is a tone GOD.

Lead:

The first leads to Waves by Guthrie Govan, gotta love that Cornford snarl.

Periphery's tone is pretty sweet. Did they use Axe-Fx's or ENGL Invaders? Kinda confused.
Rhythm- Claudio Sanchez - Coheed and Cambria
Lead- Slash- Guns N' Roses
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Arterial
Periphery's tone is pretty sweet. Did they use Axe-Fx's or ENGL Invaders? Kinda confused.

Earlier recordings were done with ENGLs but I believe the final release version of the album is all Axe-FX. Not that you'd notice that much, Misha knows his way around an EQ so well I can scarcely tell the difference... He sounds almost the same through all the amps I've heard him use including a Mesa Rec, VHT Deliverance, Peavey XXX, Deisel VH4... the man is a tone god as I said
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Rhythm:

this is what i was thinking as i read the thread title.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
There are quite a few good tones I like.

Best Clean/Classic distorted = EJ. For sure. His tone from the 1988 ACL, Tones, and Ah Via Musicom were awesome. I'm not a fan of his Bloom tone though, but it has it's place.

I also really like Clapton's cream tone, from the Goodbye CD. The ES335+Marshall Superlead on Politician is just a great tone, same with the Spoonful tone on Fresh Cream.

Hendrix had a unique tone. I love his tone on Are You Experienced? (Both the song, and the album) and on Axis: Bold as Love. He just had a generally good tone. Although I noticed later on he started adding more treble, which can get kind of annoying. His tone from Monterey Pop was great though. Real straightforward.

Claudio's Rhythm tone is great.

Adam Jones's tone is phenomenal. I love it, and I would love to be able to get that tone for any heavy stuff I would ever plan to do. It fits Tool so well.

Andy Timmons's tone from his Lonestar. I don't like his Stiletto tone so much, but the lead he gets on the Lonestar has this dumble-esque quality, but meshed with a Marshall. I think on the song Cry For You, once he kicks in the lead after the intro, the bend he does. It just has this quality to it, very expressive.

Sorry for the long list. I don't think anyone could ever pinpoint a tone as being "The best". For the sake of the thread, I can listen to EJ or Hendrix for hours and hours. Especially EJ.
doctor doctor by UFO
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
This is impossible, so I'll just do what comes to the top of my head. If anything else occurs to me (and it will), I'll post again.

Rythm - Your Betrayal by Bullet for my Valentine
Lead - Mouth of Empty Praise by Bloodbath ~or~ Advanced Corpse Tumor by Necrophagist
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Rhythm: Mastodon- pretty much anything off the Leviathan album, but particularly Blood and Thunder
Lead: Buckethead-Scraps
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Lead : Afterlife by Synyster Gates
Rhythm : Nightmare by Zacky Vengeance

Ok, so I like A7X...get over it
Quote by Xx-Rage_Quit-xX
Lead : Afterlife by Synyster Gates
Rhythm : Nightmare by Zacky Vengeance

Ok, so I like A7X...get over it

*nod*... The Afterlife solo is so insane. A7X is way underrated (or at least, Synyster Gates is, if nothing else), and the sheer amount of A7X hate here on UG makes me sad.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Rhythm: The whole Youthanasia album by Megadeth

Lead: 2 albums- Onset of Putrefaction by Necrophagist and Hatebreeder by Children of Bodom
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Rythm: Anything by Izzy Stradlin in GN'R
Lead: Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by Offworld92
*nod*... The Afterlife solo is so insane. A7X is way underrated (or at least, Synyster Gates is, if nothing else), and the sheer amount of A7X hate here on UG makes me sad.

Underrated? god no, hes overrated
Quote by Offworld92

Synyster Gates is one of the most overrated guitarists around.
There is no best tone. There are billion six kick ass tones out there.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I was just watching Whispering a Prayer live at the Astoria, so right now that's my favourite lead tone.

Rhythm has to be, as has been said, Periphery. That's purely with a downtuned guitar though, it sounds like bullocks when you use a guitar in E.
Taste these tones:

Rhythm: Dream Evil - Fire! Battle! In Metal!, Dream Theater - Constant Motion, Lamb of God - In Your Words, Megadeth - How the Story Ends, Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

Lead: Dream Theater - As I Am, Evergrey - The Great Deceiver, Firewind - Mercenary Man, Lamb of God - Grace
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Rhythm: Sunday Papers by Joe Jackson band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5r1ub00btE&feature=related

It's not the "nicest" tone as such but it works well. That crunch tone sounds very "solid state" but very tasteful for what he's playing. There's also a version of this song played live where the guitar is a butchered fender strat run into a marshall JCM800 combo but somehow that tube sound doesn't work too well for the song

Lead: Outside World by XTC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GBgWnYDVww

Simple but effective - a '65 gibson SG into a cranked "brownface" fender tremolux ('62 or '63 i believe). And of course, a great guitarist playing it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Rhythm: Ov Fire and the Void - Behemoth
Lead: Stabwound - Necrophagist
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Rhythm: Most stuff of The New Whats Next by Hot water music full of awesome rhythm tones particularly My little monkey wrench. I love tone of Cant Stop by RHCP not particularly distorted though.

Lead: Duane Allman or Joe Satriani alla Surfing with the alien album.
SMILE!
Return Trip by Electric Wizard

They were a power trio at the time, and I don't have the mental capacity at the moment to think of specific lead/rythym favs. This song is ridiculous though. Downtuned fuzz plugged into a bass amp. Or atleast that's what I think they used to do.
Last edited by Concat at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by Offworld92

They are all great musicians, but they just don't write interesting songs.
as a standard answer:
Rhythm - anything by DEATH definitely
Lead - Hard to say, it's been near perfected and copied by every somewhat melodic shredder and his dog everywhere, I'd have to say my favorite would be Joe Satrani's though, followed by John Petrucci's as a close second.
actual answer:
Quote by Bhaok
There is no best tone. There are billion six kick ass tones out there.

I am in complete agreement. Different tones and timbres suit different songs better and allow various emotions to be expressed more easily and clearly than through others. It's one of the many ways one's music can be considered unique and different. I believe that one should strive to find their own individual tone to best suit their own compositions/interpretations of already established songs or best express the ideas that they wish too develop throughout those.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Last edited by Shredoftheday at Jul 19, 2010,
Enola/alone by the Manic St Preachers.
Ruiner solo - Nine Inch Nails
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
Hm...I can't pick just one...D=:

Rhythm:Aftershock by Anthrax, or pretty much anything off Vulgar Display Of Power by Pantera
Lead:Slow stuff:Angel by Judas Priest(the first distorted solo) or Fade To Black by Metallica
Fast stuff:Medusa or Aftershock by Anthrax(albeit not so much the entire solo tone of Aftershock as much as the last note...it sounds like a chainsaw. But in a good way. <3)
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Best rhythm tone? I'd have to go with Mikael Akerfeldt's rhythm tone on Watershed.

Lead? Jeff Loomis, on Zero Order Phase.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2