is it possible to jus use the e530 tube pre-amp as a replacement for my head, and just run it through a 4x12 cab?

how are the cleans compared between this and the ENGL Fireball? cuase I know that the Fireball has a VERY nice clean tone... but I was hoping the e530 pre amp could replace that with a great clean tone too...
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
No, since it's a preamp it won't be able to drive a cab. You need a power amp. You could plug it into the input of another amp's effects loop and use it like that, or you could get a dedicated power amp to use with it, but you can't just use it with a cab.
I'm pretty sure you need a power amp to go with the preamp.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
The e530 has a small power amp built in, so you WILL be able to use it straight into a cab. It won't sound as good as getting a standalone power amp though.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
The e530 has a small power amp built in, so you WILL be able to use it straight into a cab. It won't sound as good as getting a standalone power amp though.

This. The built in power amp has like no headroom and sounds like shit though. Do what Colin suggested if you already have an amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
this is what someone said to me on youtube (whom has this same preamp):
"yes you can but it's only like 5 watts and I believe you MUST use a stereo cab or risk messing up the engl. I don't advise it, even the cheapest power amp would be better"

so...if I use just a power amp along with this pre amp, should I be able to just plug this in to a single cabinet then? ...basically just trying to avoid having to use 2 cabs (although I know that would sound better, thats mroe bagage,less room left over, ect..)

thanks alot for the advise so far!
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Yes. You can use just one cab with it on its own too I think, you might wanna look up the manual. But a dedicated power amp will sound much better.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Is it also possible to put any 4x12 (or 2x12) cabinet in "stereo" mode, i.e. get one side of the cabinet to allow another head to be heard while the other side allows another amp head to be sounded thru it too??? srry for all the questions, thanks!
the 5a pwr amp in it is for the headphone out.
i read a lot of semi bad reviews on this thing a while back.
So I have an ultimatum... but, can anyone think of a better idea than (meaning im open for suggestions): Mesa/Boogie 2:50 power amp + ENGL E530 preamp (tubes changed to: JJ6L6GC's)???
Quote by AcousticMirror
Like better overall or better given your budget?

4800$budg limit
Quote by C_majzer
4800$budg limit

holy shit usd?
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Mobiusr
holy shit usd?

srry, i didnt mean that for just the head (that was the budget for everything) I meant

1400 USD
Heres what i got

Peavey Butcher (new 2010 one)
Peavey 6505 or 6534 (with el34s)
Marshall JVM210H which is on sale for 1400 or so
Hiwatt HiGain 50 or 100 on ebay for 700+shipping
Mesa Boogie Mark III,IV (Combos or head)
Bugera Magician and TriRec (IV and Dual Recitfier Clones)
Bugera 333XL

If you really want a E530 get a Carvin Power Amp for cheap (549)
What is thall? THALL
Agile Interceptor Pro 727
POD HD500
Carvin DCM1000L
Behringer Rack Tuner
Carvin Rack Case
Mogami Cables
Quote by Mobiusr
Heres what i got

Peavey Butcher (new 2010 one)
Peavey 6505 or 6534 (with el34s)
Marshall JVM210H which is on sale for 1400 or so
Hiwatt HiGain 50 or 100 on ebay for 700+shipping
Mesa Boogie Mark III,IV (Combos or head)
Bugera Magician and TriRec (IV and Dual Recitfier Clones)
Bugera 333XL

If you really want a E530 get a Carvin Power Amp for cheap (549)

thanks alot for all of this!