Poll: What should i do with the Gibson?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should i do with the Gibson?
Complete Restoration
5 29%
Leave As Is
10 59%
Other (specify)
2 12%
Voters: 17.
Hey,

I recently acquired a Gibson Flying V from my uncle. It is a 1984 model and in pretty bad shape. I am definitely changing out the electronics and fixing up the frets and fretboard...but i am not sure if i should leave it as is or completely restore it (new hardware, refinishing...the whole nine yards). Based on the pics in the following link, what do you think i should do? If you think i should restore it...where do i start and what do i need to do?

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz192/JKMV41/Gibson%20Flying%20V%201984/

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Didn't you post this same thing earlier?

Redo the electronics, the finish isn't too bad. There are a bunch of dings on the side but you can't fix that with paint.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Re-finishing would be a good start, it is probably the biggest thing you need to do for this, so you might as well get it done.

Fixing the electronics is another big job that you should probably do, I can't imagine them being in good condition.

After that, I would swap out most of the hardware. New pickups and knobs are a must, maybe even the bridge pieces if you want to.

DEFINITELY get it setup.

You probably won't have to put in new tuners/machine heads, Grovers are quite reliable.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Not that I'm doubting you but without a headstock pic, some people might not be entirely sure thats a gibson, nonetheless if you do restore it just be careful, dont go barging into it and do a half ass job cause then itll look REALLY bad

edit: nvm the pics didnt load alll the way down when i looked, my bad
Last edited by Comrade Curry at Jul 18, 2010,
Redo the electronics, touch up the frets, clean the fretboard, but leave the dings and stuff man. It adds character!
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
id just redo the electronics ,the frets,and the hard ware along with a set up
i like the dings looks like it has a story to tell
I'd leave it as is, people relic their guitars and having a real relic is much cooler.
Quote by Tguitarplyr182
put a pickguard on it.

Agreed, if it was mine I'd go with the '67 style scratchplate in white (aged if you dont refinish) and some chrome/nickel covered pups.
New Pups and that's about it Pickgard if you want but the Tune-o-matic and hardware should be good. Frets optional if you want to change them out for a diff size
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Leave it as is.. All those scuffs and dings add mojo and character!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Just redo the electronics and nothing more. Naturally reliced guitar is just the best thing that I know. ^^
thanks for the input guys. at this point i think i will just replace the electronics and hardware and clean the fretboard. I want to put some gold hardware on it to make it stand out more; i'm not a fan of plain black. what do you guys think about that idea?

also...any idea what pickups it has? should i keep them and just put some gold covers on it or should i get brand new ones...and if new...what should i get? I play mostly metal....but i still want it to be able to handle cleans.

Thanks, John.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
I consider gold hardware to be a bit tacky, but if you like it go for it. No reason why you shouldn't. Try out the original pickups after you've redone the electronics and if they sound good to your liking, I would seriously consider keeping them.

But if you want to go for metal with your pickups, I would suggest Duncans 59' + JB setup, or for more Dimebag kind of sound just replace the JB with a Dimebucker. Or as a bit cheaper alternative I would suggest the Tesla AH-2 pickup set. Gives you a tight metal distortion from the bridge and with cleans the neck pickup is just so smooth. The sound is quiet close to EMGs 85/81 setup, but still a bit more unique and different in a good way.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Redo the electronics, touch up the frets, clean the fretboard, but leave the dings and stuff man. It adds character!

+1