hey guys, came up with an idea a few days ago. would it be possible to do 3 coil pickups, or even more? and then maybe utilize coil splitting for different positions, instead of changing pickups, so the guitar would just have the one multi-coil pup. not really ever planning to do this, but i thought it was a cool idea, though it might just sound super muddy.
yeah i know of quad-rail (coil) pickups. supposed to be super quiet, i don't know about tone though.

as for one multi-coil pup, i guess it could be done, but you wouldn't have as many options as a HH or SSS setup, much less an HSH. unless you had like 7+ coils
Its doable, and also been done. The not-so-great low-price Kramer's from MusicYo have 2 4-coil pickups, like two mini-humbuckers wired together. Probably not a great sounding guitar, but it does have coil-splitting.
I'm pretty sure a 8 coil has been done. This is not a new idea by any means.

Edit:
http://www.gilaguitars.com/guitargallery/New%20Updates%20I%20Love%20Doing%20Websites/MrHP/MrHP3a.jpg
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
i wasn't claiming to be the first to come up with this, just curious.

and wow! that's radical! and exactly what i was talking about. wonder how it sounds/plays.
I tried a 4 coil, Pretty much 2 mini humbuckers put together. It's in a Peavey guitar. Was tempted to buy this one for 100 bucks used, just for that pickup, then realized... eBay is much better.
I tried one out through an old Gretsch amp(2 tweeters, 1 15" sub. Was odd). It had no built in distortion, so I couldn't try it in a high-gain, or high-volume situation.
I'm guessing they are less prone to feedback, and are less noisy. Just my guess anyways.
..I was watching my death.
I think if you have an odd number coils, it isn't humbucking, but I'm not positive on that. And in my next planned build, It'll have 3 humbuckers, and every single pickup combination I could think of using those. 3 rotary switches, 3 volumes, each with their own phase, series parallels for the pickups, on/offs, a push pull for a normal tone/mid scoop, and finally, a killswitch.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
^
That's gonna be sweet.
Hurry up and get to work on it alright?
I wanna see it. :p
..I was watching my death.
Haha, yeah, if you want i can PM you the wiring diagram, but as for now, I am just waiting on my uncle to get some time to help me build the one I'm working on now.

Also Bobby, that guitar is epic, I wonder what they have the gauge measuring, or if it actually does anything...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
good luck monkey, haha. but that actually sounds pretty sweet. and (totally off topic) do you guys think it would be a good idea to start a "build ideas" thread, where people just shared their ideas for a build whether or not they were going to build it? it could be a place for inspiration, advice, or to just go and check out. also, if anyoneo had an idea for a build that they were never going to use, it could go in there for someone else.
Maybe, although I've found that some people don't like to share their ideas, as it may lead to theft and whatever. Also, with things like that, it is easy to go awry.

One thread on here that I remember and am really disappointed got ruined was just an older man who had experience as a luthier and said he conducted many experiments and was going to make a guitar with stone parts and a very unique pickups system. Yet because he didn't have any pics, he got flamed and left. Personally, I just found chatting with him about his ideas and experiences were very insightful and/or thought provoking.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
y'all are probably too young to ever hear of the motherbucker... google it

edit: drat! they have something else called the motherbucker now... it used to be a 3 coil humbucker
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 19, 2010,
It would be possible, however using an odd number wouldn't be all that useful. The principle is that each coil produce a signal that are opposite(a 180 degree difference in phase, which is the exact opposite, if you look at sinewave). Translated from french, it's called "comparison". It compares two signals in opposite phases and substract the extra noise from the signal, giving you a clean signal.

I could explain in more details through images but it's a bit of trouble, unless you're really dying to know what it really means. In short word, it is possible. Is it useful? No, having 2 coils already eleminates all the noise you wanna get rid of.

EDIT: Here I feel like explaining more... suppose you compare 2 sinewaves(1 opposed to the other) at a certain point in time. Let's say it's at +15 volt at this point. If you have the same signal 180 degrees out of phase, this signal will be at -15v. Now the difference is 30 volt between the two, which ends up being the output.

If the coil picks-up radio-frequencies of +1volt(making it simple), this new signal will add itself to the current signal -> which is +15v, and -15v(the signal from the 2nd pick up in opposition). That gives us +16v, and -14v(not -16v, because -15+1=-14). So if we compare +16v to -14v, we get... 30 volt, our signal, without any noises coming from an outside source(radio-requencies, computer, etc, etc). That's the reason why humbuckers use two-coils.

Might be hard to understand for those who don't know much about electricity and math, but it's actually quite simple.

In the end, having 3 coils will end up giving us back the noise we wanted to eliminate to start with. 4 coils is useless, as 2 coils already eliminate pretty much all noises coming from other sources then the guitar strings.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by MonkeyLink07
It'll have 3 humbuckers, and every single pickup combination I could think of using those. 3 rotary switches, 3 volumes, each with their own phase, series parallels for the pickups, on/offs, a push pull for a normal tone/mid scoop, and finally, a killswitch.

Will it make you a sandwich as well?
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
y'all are probably too young to ever hear of the motherbucker... google it

edit: drat! they have something else called the motherbucker now... it used to be a 3 coil humbucker

I heard that one in action in real, It's damn high gain!
It has 4 coils, so I can guess a 8 coil pickup would be twofold ouput! Be sure you won't be able to get clean sound from it.