Hi, I wanted to know what's a good electric guitar to make your first ? I've only played acoustic before but i want to play like classic rock, and other songs that sound better with distortion. I've been looking at the Crafter SA hybrid as prospective guitar and an Epiphone Les Paul.
Basically something, that can sound like a rock guitar, but can also be played unplugged and sound somewhat okay.
Help would be appreciated.
Although you're not supposed to, I play unplugged a lot. Way more comfortable than an acoustic (to me, I hate reaching across the thick body of an acoustic) and while I can hear it, it's too quiet to disturb anyone else.

What are you planning on playing with it?

EDIT: Sorry, I must have skimmed a bit.

For the music you described, I think you've already made a good assessment of the Epiphone Les Paul. They're a pretty cheap introduction to electric guitars and they're just about right for what you want to do.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Jul 18, 2010,
For your first guitar, don't let people tell you that you have to get a nice guitar (ex. Gibson Les Paul). Actually one of my uncles is an incredible player that does a lot of classic rock music and plays it with a Squier Stratocaster.

My first was a Jackson Dinky Hardtail, I still love it

But here are my suggestions:
Squier Strat
Epiphone Les Paul (although be careful, Epiphone is really hit or miss on quality)
Some of the cheapter Ibanez's are pretty good for the price

But the most important thing is to keep trying out guitars until you find one that you like and fits your price range. There is no formula for a good beginner guitar. Go to a guitar Center or Sam Ash and they will gladly let you plug in different guitars and try them out.

Good luck, and hope this helps!
-Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Deluxe
-1958 Korina Epiphone Explorer (w/ Seymour Duncan SH-4 & SH02n Pickups)
-Marshall AVT 150 Half Stack
-POD X3 Live Multi Effects Pedal
An Epi Dot would work pretty well for what your looking for. Its a semi-hollow guitar, which means nice electric tones, but also a very open, resonant body thats a bit louder than your average electric unplugged.
I'd say squirt strat because it my first guitar and I still love it today
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
probably an epi les pual. Good guitar to start off with in my opinion
GEAR
Schecter demon
Line 6 spider 3,75 watts
Line 6 UX2
Alvarez ad60sc
Fender Squire. Strat Acoustic
Fender standard Stratocaster
SOFTWARE
Logic Studio
Pod Farm 2
Get a fender fat strat HSS... I'm thinking like the ones that are made in mexico. They're quite good at sounding dirty...
Quote by judecorbin
I think an epiphone les paul studio.

To be serious I think a Les Paul Studio is way to expensive, he probably doesn't even know if he wants to stick to playing guitar after he starts. I'd go with a MIM Strat at most, in my experience the lower end Epiphones have serious tuning issues.
Quote by SmokeJs
To be serious I think a Les Paul Studio is way to expensive, he probably doesn't even know if he wants to stick to playing guitar after he starts. I'd go with a MIM Strat at most, in my experience the lower end Epiphones have serious tuning issues.

He said Epiphone studio, not Gibson. Those are about $100 less than a MIM Strat. Epiphone Studios are a great starting point.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I'd say try some guitars at a shop. Make sure you don't buy it just because you want an electric guitar. Find one your really like.

PS: It doesn't matter the brand. try thick vs thin necks, etc and find what you really like.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Reisgar42
He said Epiphone studio, not Gibson. Those are about $100 less than a MIM Strat. Epiphone Studios are a great starting point.

Really depends on what he's comfortable with. He might not like the neck, i dunno. It's all just preference.
Okay.....for your FIRST electric guitar go for something cheap (squier strat, Epiphone Special II..etc) Don't go for something more than $200-$300. My first was a Squier....all that it needs is the bridge to be lowerd...it'll cost $5 at most
Quote by Reisgar42

Reading comprehension fail
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top. Is that a good choice ? I'll be trying it out at a guitar shop before i buy though, is there anything in particular i should look out for ?
What do you have for an amp? Sound-wise it won't matter what you guitar you get if you have a crappy amp.
what's your budget? what range of tones do you want to play? you say better with distortion but there are a lot of different types of distortion, do you want classic rock, metal, 80s metal, alternative, etc.? also what country are you in? (affects prices and availability)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go on craigslist. Buy a good, used electric with the qualities that you think you want (squier strat, mim strat, epiphone whatever) and play that for a few months. Find what you like and don't like about it. Maybe you'll hate having a trem, find you need a thinner neck etc... then sell the guitar back on craigslist, probably getting all of the money back that you paid for it, and buy exactly what works for you with more knowledge of what you want.

I have a friend that did this same thing and never had any regrets like others have cause he never purchased a new guitar only to find that he didn't care for a certain aspect of it down the road and lost money selling it used. He bought used, sold back at whatever he bought it for and when he had alot of money saved up bought his forever guitar and amp, lol.
A Gio Series Ibanez, they're amazing to start off on.
L.R. Baggs M1 Active Magnetic Soundhole Pickup For Sale - ***No ebay link in sig***
Jackson JS20 Dinky FTW! >.<
Quote by Concat
What do you have for an amp? Sound-wise it won't matter what you guitar you get if you have a crappy amp.

My uncle said he'll give me his Marshall MG30 Dfx.

Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your budget? what range of tones do you want to play? you say better with distortion but there are a lot of different types of distortion, do you want classic rock, metal, 80s metal, alternative, etc.? also what country are you in? (affects prices and availability)

My budget is $350 US. I normally play Classic Rock. I'm in Singapore.
thanks. can you get a yamaha pacifica 112 and vox vt15 valvetronix for that in singapore? EDIT: oh you've already got a free amp. pacifica 112v?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not to sure, and i can't find the prices. I'm going to go to a mall with a lot of guitar gallery's on saturday so i'll be trying out a lot of guitars. Thanks for your help !