Ok so here's the deal me and my band have been together for like a month we're pretty good, we know about 4 songs. If I do say so myself we're pretty tight. But there's a dilemma some of the guys aren't as motivated as me. I'm the bandleader/manager/promoter/website person I schedule practices I get songs I work on stuff for us to play, find songs, hell I've ran a photo shoot for our facebook and all our friends who have heard us to look at.

Now I just got my wisdom teeth out and like I had been telling the guys every practice leading up to the event, guys I'm gonna be out for like a week the doctor says so I need you guys to still get together and still practice, its important that you guys schedule it because I'm gonna need to get better so I can come right back and everything will be fine, so I get on facebook to chat with some of them and ask how its going and they all say oh we haven't been practicing and this is like on saturday and they're morman and they can't practice on sunday and I'm just like WHAT! They just said they weren't sure what to do and stuff and I was pretty pissed and now I'm just like wow, I've been practicing the music on my acoustic so I would still know it and you guys haven't even practiced at all? So I'm going back tomorrow to practice and they're still them. I just need a way to motivate them because we got a gig coming as our first official gig and we only have four songs on the setlist, now I am just not sure what to do. They've told me they're serious, and the gig is a benefit so we don't have to pay royalities but I'd like to get some T-shirts and stuff for the gig and I'm just confused I need some advice on what to do

Summary of Problem and question:
1 My band is not as motivated as me and I need a way to motivate them
2 How long should like a couple hour gig be?
3 I want to get some T-shirts for us whats a decent price to pay? And how much more should I market them at to get money from
4 Another question I had, we have access to a recording studio, should we record a demo so as the manager/booking agent person I can take it to venues and show them it?
Quote by Triple-D

1 My band is not as motivated as me and I need a way to motivate them
2 How long should like a couple hour gig be?
3 I want to get some T-shirts for us whats a decent price to pay? And how much more should I market them at to get money from
4 Another question I had, we have access to a recording studio, should we record a demo so as the manager/booking agent person I can take it to venues and show them it?

1. You can't force people to be motivated, but some people need to be organised. That's why there's a band leader who calls the shots and it's not a group of people going "err what do we do now?".

2. Big screw up if this is the gig that's coming and you're worried you only have 4 songs. Generally it's 12-14 songs per hour. You're supposed to get all the songs ready, then look for gigs. Otherwise you may get a gig and can't play it all, then whoever hired you won't hire you in the future.

3. I don't know if you're getting ahead of yourself here by getting t-shirts when you have, you know, no music. Just check websites, sell for a little more.

4. Demos are always good, get them around as much as you can.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
no we have music, we all know songs and stuff its just we have only have four songs we know we're going to play for sure
Quote by Triple-D
no we have music, we all know songs and stuff its just we have only have four songs we know we're going to play for sure

This sounds like an incredibly uncertain situation given that you've already booked the gig, just knowing songs individually doesn't mean anything if they're not rehearsed to performance standard as a band, and if you're playing for a few hours you'll need a lot more than 4 songs, my first "gig" was 4 songs and we were on stage for about 20 minutes, if you're playing for 2 hours, by that logic you'll need at least 20 songs, completely rehearsed and perfected, I don't know how long you have till the gig but trying to get 20 songs down with an unmotivated band will be a nearly impossible task.
Maybe you should tell them how much needs to be done in order to motivate them, then show them the scene from Family Guy where they play in the prison and don't have any songs, because that's what will pretty much happen after you play your four songs and still have an hour and 40 minutes left. They're clearly not serious if they can't see how vastly under-prepared you are for this gig and still haven't either tried to cancel with a decent bit of notice or get off their arses and do some practising.

Also, T-shirts should be the last thing on your mind if you don't have a set prepared, no-one will buy a T-shirt of a band they haven't heard of unless they put on a fantastic show, and it doesn't seem like it will be unless you and the whole band start putting the effort in.

Recording a demo is a good idea, 4 songs should be enough to take round to pubs and clubs etc.
We have about 2 and a half months approximately until the gig do you think thats enough time?
Quote by Triple-D
We have about 2 and a half months approximately until the gig do you think thats enough time?

It is enough as koslack says for covers, but you'll have to step up the rate at which you're learning dramatically. So far you have learnt 4 songs in a month. You need another 32 or so in two months. That's 4 times the speed.
Soundcloud
We practice 2 hours a day as a group 4 days a week we're doing all covers

hm well that sounds tough but I'm not sure if its 2 hours they may have changed the time our rhythm guitar/vocals guys mom got us the gig and its festival thinger for a domestic violence shelter we could be playing anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours.

Thats just an estimate last tme when we were the only ones booked I've heard they'v booked a bunh more people and that we're not the only ones now
Last edited by Triple-D at Jul 19, 2010,
If you have original stuff, record it. 3-6 songs is good for a demo. Hoever, if you're doing covers, unles you've changed the songs in some way to make them your own (which I don't reccomend attempting until you're popular), there's no reason to buy your CD of covers when they can get the originals just as easily.
@the hunger I didn't mean make a demo to sell I meant make a demo to take around to places and send to people because most the time i heard its good to have demo to bring into places cuz I'm also partly a booking agent and we have access to a professional studio for the price of very very little I just was wondering if it would be a good idea
Quote by Triple-D

So 2 hours a day, 4 days a week for a month, and all you have is 4 songs finished. That's extremely inefficient.

How about this. Cut the practices back to twice a week. In between practices everyone learns their parts for the songs. At practice you get the songs together. If someone doesn't know their part at practice, put the song off until next time. Practice is not a place for learning (covers).
Soundcloud
Quote by Triple-D

I would think you have enough time. My band was talked about, created, and has had four practices (about three hours each) in the last two and a half weeks, and we got four covers down (and we're on our way to having two more once we get the vocals down) That being said we only worked that fast because we thought we had a gig, it was a backyard party with three or four other bands but the cops shut it down before our set came up.
Well actually we have only been really practicing for a few weeks now me and my friend the co-founder actually formed the group held tons of auditions with our friends looked for people to play with and have been playing for two weeks, and when we do a cover we do something pretty drastic to change it in a positive way. We've only been officially together for two weeks in practicing and stuff but the problem is we didn't actually establish a band leader until recently, me. So w got off topic a lot since we weren't as serious cuz we're all like really good friends

Now we have what we need we're ready to start preparing I am pretty sure the gig is only like an hour today at practice we're going to set up the final setlist go over the parts and I'm going to introduce some of the ideas you guys gave me
Last edited by Triple-D at Jul 20, 2010,
u can learn 2 songs a week, when i was in a band we did like 3 songs a week and we only played once or twice a week lol be efficient