Hey guys, i was just wondering, i have a set of Active EMG pickups and have had them for about a year and i have started noticing my bridge pickup quickly lose volume and im pretty sure that means that the battery is going, so my question is, if i were to take it to a guitar shop how much would it cost to replace the 9v batteries (if i bring 2 from home in). the reason i ask this is because on my jackson rr3 i can't access my pickups by taking that little piece from the back off like some guitars, instead i have to take the pickups out of their pots and do it that way and i really don't wanna screw something up, so any help is appreciated

thanks guys
that kinda sucks. it depends on what they charge an hour, id imagine something like that would take one hour. some places charge 45, ive heard 80, my local shop charges 65, it all depends. it saves a hell of alot of money when you learn to do shit yourself tho.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
You really have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to pickups? You don't take the pickups out of the pots, the pots are your volume and tone controls.

To change the battery, open the rear cavity where you can access the pots (volume and tone knobs), and the battery will be sitting in there. Put a new 9V in, put it back in the spot you found it, and close it back up.

And make sure with active pickups you're unplugging your cable from the guitar. It'll help save battery life by a lot.

Edit: If the RR3 has a pickguard, unscrew that off and that will be your access to the cavity.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Jul 18, 2010,
If you own a phillips screwdriver, and can turn it to the left, you're done. Try it yourself, if you screw everything up (wich I highly doubt you will) then take it to a tech. It'll cost you the same. I seriously doubt your battery is under a pickup. It should be in the control cavity where all the electrical connections are made. We're not launching intercontinental ballistic missiles, it's changing a battery. Have some confidence.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Yeah it's pretty much just unscrewing the back panel and replacing the 9V batteries. Very cheap, very simple...no trip to the shop at all. Guy above got it straight up.
-Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Deluxe
-1958 Korina Epiphone Explorer (w/ Seymour Duncan SH-4 & SH02n Pickups)
-Marshall AVT 150 Half Stack
-POD X3 Live Multi Effects Pedal
hey guys, thanks for the help, actually the battery wasn't where the back panel is, i actually had to unscrew the pick guard and the battery was there. and please correct me if im wrong but do 2 EMG actives really run on one battery (i thought that there was one for each pickup)
Quote by Shredder425
hey guys, thanks for the help, actually the battery wasn't where the back panel is, i actually had to unscrew the pick guard and the battery was there. and please correct me if im wrong but do 2 EMG actives really run on one battery (i thought that there was one for each pickup)

I think some run on 2 (not 100%), but the one's i have only have one

and i did say to unscrew the pickguard, did i not?

and wasn't that a lot easier than paying some tech however much money they would have charged for 5 minutes of work?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings