I saw a great deal on Craigslist for a Dual Terror and orange 2x12 cab for 900, I'm seeing AC30C2s for 1 grand or so...

Should I jump on that Dual Terror instead of getting the AC30?
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 19, 2010,
preference

DT probably has more gain available, also the Orange cab likely has V30s whereas Vox (I assume your considering the combo) comes with Greenbacks

That's a decent deal on a DT stack though, heads sell for $829 CDN or something
Quote by Tedward
preference

DT probably has more gain available, also the Orange cab likely has V30s whereas Vox (I assume your considering the combo) comes with Greenbacks

That's a decent deal on a DT stack though, heads sell for $829 CDN or something

It's a great deal, I've been doing my research on amps since I'm looking to upgrade. God I love Craigslist.
I absolutely adore my Dual Terror, it's super versatile especially depending on your guitars, pickups, and ability to turn your tone/volume knobs and move that pickup selector switch, which many guitarists can't seem to do. If you like that Orange distortion sound, then get that. It's also footswitchable, which I don't believe the AC30 is.

clips on my profile!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The DT has more gain available and has footswitchable clean/OD channels. If you don't need either of those things, the Vox pisses all over it as far as tone goes, especially with single coils. The Orange is a better deal on paper but put those two amps next to each other and for me at least the choice is the AC30 by a mile.
Quote by Roc8995
The DT has more gain available and has footswitchable clean/OD channels. If you don't need either of those things, the Vox pisses all over it as far as tone goes, especially with single coils. The Orange is a better deal on paper but put those two amps next to each other and for me at least the choice is the AC30 by a mile.

Yeah I primarily use single a stratocaster, and is there is no way to get the channels to switch on the AC30s? A big problem I have with Dual Terrors is... well I just can't find them anywhere to test them out.
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 19, 2010,
You can use an A/B/Y box to switch channels - Plug your long cord into the A/B/Y and plug one cord each from there into the normal and one into the bright input, with the bridge switch turned off it it has one. That allows you to use either or both channels, but since the channels don't have gain controls you're not going to get a clean/dirty channel; you can set up the bright channel to be louder since it's got a bit more dirt inherently, but you cannot set it up like the DT where the switch goes from squeaky clean to very distorted. The AC30 requires you to use a bit more finesse with the volume on your guitar to vary the OD.
Personally, I really like TT cleans when you roll back the gain and pump up the volume. They arn't as good as the AC's but they have a different, thick sounding sort of tone.

If you're primarily clean, get the Vox. If you're into all sorts of rock then get the DT.

Remember, neither of them to metals.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
orange. nuff said.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Depends on the music you want to play but in almost all cases i'd say ac30. It's just the superior amp in my opinion and with a solid overdrive pedal it could do some great things. You'll never get a DT to do cleans like a vox but you've got a far better chance of getting a vox to overdrive like a DT.