I usually just lurkn anymore but I'm running into a pickle. I'm currently in two cover bands, a blues/country and a metal band (not super heavy-Maybe Black Label Society tops)and I'm trying to condense down to one amp. I've been told that the ENGL Screamer and Fender Supersonic are both around what I'm willing to spend (~1500 US). Do you guys have have any opinions on either or any other suggestions? For the metal band I use a Squier Showmaster with 81/60 and for the blues I use an agile thinline tele.
I like it but it's a little outta my price range. I've never seen a soldano on Nashville's craigslist or I'd probably have jump on it. I've also heard the Mesa Mark IV can do this kinda thing. Any feedback?
The Mark will do a decent Mayer type tone. Nothing exact but close enough. It's just not as dynamic as a Dumble type amp in my experience. It'll do br00tz fo sho but it'll sound vastly different than a BLS type tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I don't want it to be exactly the same. My gf is going to play rhythm and thats what she likes to play. I don't argue with the woman... If she ain't happy... I don't get any. And I saw the Splawn the other day. Are the cleans more fendery or marshally? I've never heard one clean in person.
Last edited by blues_powered at Jul 19, 2010,
Ok. I'd love to have it that kinda sound for classic rock but I like the fender sparkle. It suits my playing a little better. Plus I start med school next year and can't really afford two amps that are that expensive... Especially when I need a new car. Curse the day I was introduced to tube amps--Now I want them all...
Last edited by blues_powered at Jul 19, 2010,
I wouldn't get the Screamer or the SuperSonic - even though they are fine amps. Supposedly the 5153 can pull of some nice Fender tones on channel 1 and it can obviously do metal. You might be able to find a used one in your range.

Do you already have a cab or will you need a cab too (separate budget?)

If you were not gigging I'd recommend the Egnater Tweaker. Do you gig now with the B52/Champ/Crush or what?

Renegade head is $999 - that leaves you some cab fund for a nice 212. I think you would really be happy with it. Go check one out at GC. Also, use the link in my sig to find gear.
I do need a cab but I had sorta figured it into my overall budget. I guess I could go 1500 for a combo 1750 for a head/cab. Usually I don't have much trouble finding a cab (they might sound like crap but it will work for a while). But at the moment a combo would be better b/c I'm living in student housing and it's just easier to store. I'm really feeling this Egnater Renegade 212. The 18 watt mode would be perfect for the coffee house concerts we have from time to time. My only thing is the clips I heard of the gain channel were muddy. Did the guy just suck at EQing it or is this normal?
Gear:
Agile PRS Copy w/ floyd PS-970
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Maybe a Soldano Hot Rod, or a Jet City Amps JCA100?

Or even a Randall RM series, you can get different modules (it's a modular tube preamp system) tuned specifically to your needs, for instance a Blackface, Plexi and Salvation Mods metal module of some sort (they have everything from Mesa to Diezel to ENGL) so it sounds perfect. Literally one of the most versatile tube-based amps out there. You can get used modules for ~$130 from the Randall forums.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
311 right now I run the pod x3 straight into the PA. It's versatile but it sounds sorta lifeless.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Quote by blues_powered
311 right now I run the pod x3 straight into the PA. It's versatile but it sounds sorta lifeless.

I was just going to suggest selling some stuff to increase your budget. If you like the 212 combo format better then that would be the one to get. I'm really digging the Renegade right now if you have not noticed.

Also, check this site out. It is a lot better than youtube.

This guy, fastredponycar, does good demos and has demo'd lots of amps. He is a Splawn, Titan, Peters kinda guy and he really likes his Renegade.

Check it:
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?search=Egnater+Renegade
Well thank you guys, you helped a ton. After I buy an engagement ring (next week) I'll probably pick one up.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
Trust me within a year I'll have them both screaming like a demon.
Gear:
Agile TC-730
Gibson SG faded
PODx3 live
B-52 AT-112
Modtones Dynodrive
Boss RC-2
actually ben...you still love that triamp too much lol.

I think you'd be really good with a rivera ktre as well op.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Sounds to me from the style you explained that Marshall's the way to go. Don't know too much about the various models but you'll probly need one with both OD and Lead channels. If you've got $1500 or so then I would suggest buying a JCM2000 Dual Super Lead and have the tubes professionally swapped/biased for 6881 or 6L6 (unless you like the tone the way it is with EL34).
^ Getting a JCM 2000 DSL on that budget would just be a waste of money.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
^ Getting a JCM 2000 DSL on that budget would just be a waste of money.

Used bro....
as long as it was decently taken care of, an older used one doesn't deteriorate much. Besides I suggested changing the tubes, will probly need it anyway.

Don't limit yourself to local Craigslist; most anyone can ship it for a decent price. Should be able to find one for $600-800 then a tube swap for $200ish...let's see, that leaves $500 or so...perfect for a great used cab, even a MESA/Boogie or Marshall with Greenbacks (which don't deteriorate being used either).

Buying a Saldano, or MESA/Boogie Mark IV, now that's wasting money. Not because of the tone, but because they're just too expensive. Like if he asked which car to get for a good 1/4 mile, and people tell him "Dodge Viper". I'm telling him to get the tried-&-true Subaru WRX and mod it. (stupid analogy, I know, but it get's the point across)
If a Soldano or Mark IV does what he wants, how is that "too expensive"?

Raijouta, and myself, do not believe that a JCM2000 DSL will be a wise purchase here. IMO, doesn't do modern metal, and doesn't do Mayer/country all that well either.
Plus, if he is willing to spend that much, why not?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for used purchases, making your buck go further, bargains, and whatnot....still just not a good idea.
Quote by MetalMike99
Used bro....
as long as it was decently taken care of, an older used one doesn't deteriorate much. Besides I suggested changing the tubes, will probly need it anyway.

Don't limit yourself to local Craigslist; most anyone can ship it for a decent price. Should be able to find one for $600-800 then a tube swap for $200ish...let's see, that leaves $500 or so...perfect for a great used cab, even a MESA/Boogie or Marshall with Greenbacks (which don't deteriorate being used either).

Buying a Saldano, or MESA/Boogie Mark IV, now that's wasting money. Not because of the tone, but because they're just too expensive. Like if he asked which car to get for a good 1/4 mile, and people tell him "Dodge Viper". I'm telling him to get the tried-&-true Subaru WRX and mod it. (stupid analogy, I know, but it get's the point across)

The difference being the Subaru is a great car and more than competes with the Viper. The DSL doesn't compete with the Mark series and definitely doesn't compete with a Soldano. They're each aimed at entirely different markets.

It's like comparing a Toyota Corolla, to a BMW, which is then compared to a Lamborghini...

And when I said 'waste' I meant he could get much better amps for his budget. I know a used DSL goes for very cheap, but if you had the money to spend, would you rather get a Corolla over a BMW or Mercedes provided you had comfort and 'the driving experience' in mind?

If the OP's budget was lower then sure, he could go for a DSL, but recommending one on a $1500 budget is aiming way too low IMO.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by blues_powered
I usually just lurkn anymore but I'm running into a pickle. I'm currently in two cover bands, a blues/country and a metal band (not super heavy-Maybe Black Label Society tops)and I'm trying to condense down to one amp. I've been told that the ENGL Screamer and Fender Supersonic are both around what I'm willing to spend (~1500 US). Do you guys have have any opinions on either or any other suggestions? For the metal band I use a Squier Showmaster with 81/60 and for the blues I use an agile thinline tele.

there are quite a few decent marshalls on nashville cl right now.
this might be the ticket for you.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1812688457.html

beware of this 1. something is fishy about the ad.i think it's a kit.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/1851207019.html
Quote by blues_powered

Have you ever tried running the Pod with a Tube power amp? I find that goes a long way to give it a more organic sound.
why not get 2 amps? A peavey classic 30 for ur blues band and a Bugera 333xl for the metal band. U'll get great cleans, overdrive and distortion.
Quote by Raijouta
The difference being the Subaru is a great car and more than competes with the Viper. The DSL doesn't compete with the Mark series and definitely doesn't compete with a Soldano. They're each aimed at entirely different markets.

It's like comparing a Toyota Corolla, to a BMW, which is then compared to a Lamborghini...

And when I said 'waste' I meant he could get much better amps for his budget. I know a used DSL goes for very cheap, but if you had the money to spend, would you rather get a Corolla over a BMW or Mercedes provided you had comfort and 'the driving experience' in mind?

If the OP's budget was lower then sure, he could go for a DSL, but recommending one on a $1500 budget is aiming way too low IMO.

Ok , you got me..I'll conciet, you make a good point.
I guess when I saw $1500, I immidiately set $500 or more in mind for the cab...I'll tell ya, when I got my MESA/Boogie cab I found a whole new appreciation for the impact on the ones tone