'K, I hate the Pit but some of you guyz might be able to help with this.

Typical scenario: Goin' off to college soon. Parents might get a laptop as a graduation gift, so there's not a hard price limit, but let's keep it in the mid-range. For all intents and purposes, let's say I'm gonna run Windows.

No video games or any of that BS. But I'll be recording some music. I'll be majoring in audio engineering, and although I don't really know what's going to be expected of me in that area, I'm assuming I won't have to use my own equipment for anything too sophisticated (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm savvy enough that if I was getting a desktop I would buy the components separately and assemble it myself. But I don't know if I can do anything like that with a laptop. Opinions on that?

So fill me in on the standards for laptops these days. What kind of specs are necessary for an everyday-utility laptop that will also be used for not-too-casual-but-not-too-serious music recording?

Edit: Maybe I should be more specific.

What kind of CPU and how much hard drive space, RAM, etc. is the norm these days? And what kind of upgrades does music recording necessitate? You get the idea.
Last edited by werty22 at Jul 19, 2010,
tl;dr, we hate you too.

Take it to the computer thread.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
i enjoy the sony vaios, so far have been rock solid for me (comp is two years old), running vista with 3gb ram and 250 gb hard drive plus external for music. It loads Photoshop PS3 fast, handles fruity loops etc... i would say now for under a grand you can pick up a vaio with 500GB hard drive and 4GB ram. check your best buy thats where i got mine they usually have deals going on for around $7-800. In my opionion stay away from HP or ACER. Have seen friends acer just die and some HP's have a cracking problem where you cant close the computer anymore.
♣▲♣
▲ ▲
If you're not a gamer and just use it for work(music, browsing the net, etc), look into Mac's. The only reason I see to going with Windows is gaming.

EDIT: If you know enough about the stuff, the best is to make a real PC custom. Costs so much less and you're sure it will do what you want it to do. But that's if you know quite a bit about comps.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 19, 2010,
I'm going to mock people who hate macks

LLOOLOLOL HERP DERP WINDOWS IS MTY IDEA MACKS CAN SUCK MY ****

(macs truely suck dick for anything other than superficiality's)
Quote by Dirge Humani
Take a look at some Macs if you're not going to be doing any gaming, and mostly sound stuff.

Yeah, I'm gonna look into that, but they're darn expensive so I wanna see what Windows PCs have to offer. I didn't think it necessary to discuss it here because

1) I figure if I decide to go the Mac route it'll be a pretty easy choice to make, whereas there are a lot of PCs on the market and a lot of details to think about.
2) I'll be darned if I let this turn into a PC vs. Mac debate.
Quote by werty22
Yeah, I'm gonna look into that, but they're darn expensive so I wanna see what Windows PCs have to offer. I didn't think it necessary to discuss it here because

1) I figure if I decide to go the Mac route it'll be a pretty easy choice to make, whereas there are a lot of PCs on the market and a lot of details to think about.
2) I'll be darned if I let this turn into a PC vs. Mac debate.

From a real point of view, if you're not gonna be gaming or watching movies in HD or something, just get a Mac. A lot less trouble then godamm Windows at least.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by werty22
Yeah, I know the selling points of Macs but plz let's not talk about that.

If the price is a problem, you can probably get a pc that will give you what you need.

It's not about sales or anything. Just get a pc laptop with a good sound card.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 19, 2010,
Well I wouldn't think the sound card would be all that relevant since I assume I would use an external interface.

Forgive me if I'm being naive, 'cuz I haven't started reading up on this stuff until yesterday.
Hello, fellow Tennesseean!

I have four words for you: fifteen-inch Macbook Pro.

If you need Windows for any reason, you can snag a copy of 7 and dual partition with ease using Bootcamp.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by werty22
Edit: Maybe I should be more specific.

What kind of CPU and how much hard drive space, RAM, etc. is the norm these days? And what kind of upgrades does music recording necessitate? You get the idea.

For processor's I'd look for something from Intel's i series, RAM probably 4 gigs, if you're going to be storing a lot of music like 500 gigs of harddrive space or larger. Umm... even if you're not playing games I'd still look for something without intergrated graphics. I'd don't know much about sound cards though.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
This guy obviously knows something about computers, and anyone who even has the slightest knowledge of computers can handle windows easily, it's only retards who say it's hard to use.

On topic, I'm using my Sony Vaio laptop right now, I inherited it from my Grandma a few years back.

Dual core centrino (1.8GhZ a core, 3.6 total)
2 GB RAM
180 GB HDD with a 640 GB external

I run Vista and this computer can do pretty much anything, barring Crysis and such ridiculous programs of course. If you know anything about a computer whatsoever you should go with Windows because it is cheaper and you can do the same things pretty much. All you need is an antivirus and basic computer knowledge and the Mac arguments are void.

Go with Sony, and get some dual core, prolly around 4.0 GhZ total, 4 gigs of RAM, as far as HDD goes, you can always just buy an external for next to nothing, so that's not really an issue.

EDIT: Also, if you change your OS using boot camp a lot it will **** your Mac up, my friend learned that the hard way.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Last edited by ninjaapirate at Jul 19, 2010,
Christ, you guys aren't helping him at all...

Anything with a processor over 2.0 Ghz should be OKAY for recording. There are plenty of good laptops for around 600-700 dollars. Check some reviews on the internetz. cnet has some good ones, really indepth. I'm getting this soon: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/gateway-nv7915u.aspx

And Windows 7 is a pretty good OS. Can always get Linux for free, too, if need be. Best OS out there is Ubuntu or the such, though 7 is really convenient...
Last edited by CrossBack7 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by CrossBack7
Christ, you guys aren't helping him at all...

the guy in the first post offered great help.
yo.

I BELIEVE