Page 1 of 2
Are your dreams usually as consistent and literal as your own life? Or are they psychedelically dreamlike, breaking physical laws where you can fly, morph into different creatures, spread out like fragrance from one room to the next and all that jazz? Or maybe as literal as the real world, but you're put into extravagant situations like you're a king of some place or like you're in an action film...?

IDK.

Discuss.
I'm always driving a motorcycle and ****ing shit up. **** yeah.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
My dreams are never the same, I could have a perfectly logical dream one night. Then it would be some shit with a dragon in fantasy land
Quote by valacirca
Or maybe as literal as the real world, but you're put into extravagant situations like you're a king of some place or like you're in an action film...?

This, all the time.
Quote by damian_91
I'm always driving a motorcycle and ****ing shit up. **** yeah.

...I've never had a dream that kickass before.

Most of my dreams are surreal and amorphous, but vaguely based in reality, if that makes sense. I've lucid dreamed once or twice, and occasional have really vivid ultra realistic dreams with false awakenings that freak me out really bad that I end up recalling long after originally forgetting several months or even years later with a super strong sense of deja vu. As a result, (or cause in the first place ) I have a strained relationship with waking reality and often wonder if I'm dreaming right now.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
I find it common to have those dreams that are based on things happening around you at the time. Like I dreamed about gunshots when my neighbors were getting their roof re-done, dreamed I was holding a big tongue and woke up holding my pillow, etc...
They're not psychadelic exactly, but they're far from realistic.

For example, the settings/locations. Like, they're real places that I've been to, and they are basically how they are in real life, but with differences. I'm not sure whether the changes are just off the top of my head, or if I'm merging them with another location I've been to or seen. Also, two locations which are far apart can be linked to each other... it's kind of hard to describe in words, really. But for example, the road near where I live could be joined on to the road beside the beach, a good 30 minutes away. Sorry if I'm not making much sense.

That might sound normal/boring enough, but what I think is very interesting is that this doesn't happen at random. These half real/half invented places are repeated occurences, appearing exactly in one dream as how they appeared in a previous one. It's quite interesting thinking about them, but unfortunately I can't remember them completely clearly.

I'm not usually aware in my dreams, but I have been a couple of times that I can remember, and I've tried to fly. But I usually become too aware and wake up.

It's strange that some people say they have these dreams in fantasy lands or whatever, I never get that. Mine seem to be based on daily occurences in familiar settings, with people I know, just warped to fit my own imagination.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Jul 19, 2010,
They're usually fairly logical, they seem to mostly consist of me being friends with people I don't actually like, doing really boring stuff with the family or meeting the members of Take That, in various everyday and sometimes bizarre situations, my favourite was meeting Gary and Jason with Prince Charles on a red carpet somewhere, we were all drunk on champagne and we were all just laughing for no reason

Very occasionally, I'll have a dream where I'm a Jack Bauer esque character, or I'm about to sleep with a gorgeous woman, it's always just about to happen when I wake up

I actually wish I could have some massively unrealistic fantasy dream, guess I'll just have to take more drugs
Usually they're not weird at all, just like an average day..but occasionally I get a weird one
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
In my dreams I am always somewhere interesting occasionally I return to a place that I previously dreamed about.

My dreams are always very vivid kinda like watching some kind of movie. So far some of the places I have visited in my dreams are. A huge desert where people have these rocket hover boot things that let them get around.

There is a huge city with a sky scrapper clock tower as well as a huge library with a vault. There is a basement library with a bunch of ghosts..in cluding the ghost of a science teacher I had (WTF?) and he is like some evil bastard in my dreams.

there is a a huge forest of thorny trees where people like the glide over, I of course managed to fall into the thorns...

There is a mountain where people ski.

There is an area of canyons and plains where there is some kind of war going on.

and there is also a moon. on the moon there is a window just sitting there...In that dream I climbed through the window changed my shoes and went back to my crazy dream planet...

there is tons of other stuff too...
Last edited by Axim Bassist at Jul 19, 2010,
They're disjointed, loosely chronological sequences of loosely related events and images. They often involve awkward, tedious, and confusing tasks or situations. They don't make any sense, of course. You know, I'll be in a house that I identify as "my house" but it isn't my IRL house. One minute I'm Fry from Futurama, the next minute I'm some surreal derivative of myself and Voldemort looks like Bigfoot. And I have to do some weird, silly thing for school even though it's summer.
Quote by valacirca
Are your dreams usually as consistent and literal as your own life? Or are they psychedelically dreamlike, breaking physical laws where you can fly, morph into different creatures, spread out like fragrance from one room to the next and all that jazz? Or maybe as literal as the real world, but you're put into extravagant situations like you're a king of some place or like you're in an action film...?

IDK.

Discuss.

lemme guess... you had a dream that played out the entire movie of inception didn't you... except you were leonardo.... right?!?!?
Guitars:
1991 Fender American Stratocaster
2008 Dean Ml '79

Amps:
Egnater Tweaker
Fender G-DEC 15

Pedals:
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop 535Q Chrome Series Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Ibanez TS-808
My dreams are actually really weird and far from reality. For example, not so long ago I dreamt I was in some videogame I didn't even know(probably didn't exist), and the two main characters were me and a friend of mine. I would actually play the game if it existed.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by guylee
I find it common to have those dreams that are based on things happening around you at the time. Like I dreamed about gunshots when my neighbors were getting their roof re-done, dreamed I was holding a big tongue and woke up holding my pillow, etc...

This right here.
I listen to music when I sleep and my dreams go along with the songs. No joke. I'll be dreaming about something peacefully 'cause some Boston is on, then a nuke will fall and I'll be fighting zombie Bigfoot because of Mastodon. After that, Pink Floyd shows up and I'm blazing with an alien.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Something I want to ask about, this sometimes happens to me as I'm waking up in the morning.

I'll be in a dream, and it's lucid (not sure if that's the right word) but I'm not aware yet. I'm having a conversation with someone, and I'm talking to them, but all of a sudden when I come to speak, I can't. I think it's when I have to say something that's... not embarrasing as such, but along those lines. In that moment, I become half asleep and half conscious, but still thinking the dream is real. I'm not yet fully aware that it's a dream. So, to say whatever it is I'm going to say next, it feels like I have to say it out loud... so I do, I whisper the line out loud in real life, and I wake up.

Is this just me?
logical but there are pretty wierd stuff in it as well.

i once dreamt that i was in school and i had a "rare" red scorpion (idk). but then my friend lost it and i raced over to class and my fat teacher beat me to it. wat does it meeeeeeaaaaaaaan?
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
My dreams involve possessed duck dolls killing people, my dog killing people, digging up corpses of aliens with a screwdriver, and escaping a government conspiracy to give the entire population ice cream and Richard Simmons t-shirts (to be fair this was called 'conditioning' in the dream) by wandering through the desert for several months.
Every single one of my dreams is like a nightmare. They're always really twisted and weird, and I never dream about something normal. Places and people will change on me in an instant.

I hate dreaming. Nothing good ever happens in my dreams. It's like I always know I'm dreaming so nothing can be fun and realistic. For example, any time I get something that I've been wanting, it never works. My mind can't really figure out what would happen. (Like I'll dream about an amp/guitar I want, but something goes wrong and I'm unable to actually play it)

Some common things that happen are: I can't yell when I need help, I can move my legs when I need to run, I'm naked in front of people, somethings trying to kill me, I do really stupid things that I regret (only to wake up and be super happy it's not true).

Bah, dreams suck.

edit:
And my dreams just get worse as I oversleep. Sometimes I'll stay awake too long because I have insomnia sometimes, and then I'll over sleep (like over 13-18 hours!) and after about 12 hours, I'll start getting REALLY messed up dreams.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 19, 2010,
I just read the other posts in the thread there, no-one seems to do anything close to me. Weird.

Quote by StringAssassin
It's usually realistic things, that will never happen in my life.

Do you mean because it's something like being a rockstar? Or just being in a situation that you don't see yourself in, but is still totally realistic? Or that it's realistic enough, but there are some weirdly psychadelic elements?

If it's the latter one, we're fairly similar...
Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
This right here.
I listen to music when I sleep and my dreams go along with the songs. No joke. I'll be dreaming about something peacefully 'cause some Boston is on, then a nuke will fall and I'll be fighting zombie Bigfoot because of Mastodon. After that, Pink Floyd shows up and I'm blazing with an alien.

I had a dream that I was in rainy Louisiana with a dog named Seamus because of the Floyd song that was playing while I was sleep.
I've had ones that I can't quite articulate into words, but most of them are based in reality with both subtle and strong absurdities. Sometimes the subconscious comes into it. Been brooding over one I had for a while now.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Ignite
Every single one of my dreams is like a nightmare. They're always really twisted and weird, and I never dream about something normal. Places and people will change on me in an instant.

I hate dreaming. Nothing good ever happens in my dreams. It's like I always know I'm dreaming so nothing can be fun and realistic. For example, any time I get something that I've been wanting, it never works. My mind can't really figure out what would happen. (Like I'll dream about an amp/guitar I want, but something goes wrong and I'm unable to actually play it)

Some common things that happen are: I can't yell when I need help, I can move my legs when I need to run, I'm naked in front of people, somethings trying to kill me, I do really stupid things that I regret (only to wake up and be super happy it's not true).

Bah, dreams suck.

edit:
And my dreams just get worse as I oversleep. Sometimes I'll stay awake too long because I have insomnia sometimes, and then I'll over sleep (like over 13-18 hours!) and after about 12 hours, I'll start getting REALLY messed up dreams.

This is pretty much what my nightmares are, except for being naked. Everything else though, I've experienced.

Luckily, this is only a minority of my dreams. My nightmares aren't the traditional turning up at school naked, or being chased by a monster, or having someone close to me get killed or something. It's never anything really 'scary'... I'm just restricted in some way usually, like movement or speech while things are out of my control. It does freak me out, though.
i often have recurring dreams of driving a car from the passenger seat.

but I often have dreams about space. Finding new planets, travelling to distant star systems... they're pretty epic
I rarely remember my dreams, and the only ones I do remember are either sleep paralysis (which I get A LOT) or some weird color thing such as when you press control+t in iTunes or something.
Mine are usually theoretically every-day situations, but they are usually absurd. They aren't physics-defyingly absurd, but they tend to be ridiculous.

For example, the dream I remember from last night:

I was going out on a date with this girl I'm interested in, but her 20-year-old brother (who I'm also friends with) came with us. We couldn't decide what to do, so we went to a Shoney's. It looked like one of those "wild west" style diners (unpainted wood floors and walls, peanuts, sawdust, etc. You get the picture), and they were playing live country music inside. I also saw someone there that I know but don't expect to see more than a couple more times in my life, and certainly not by accident.

Yeah.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Mine are usually theoretically every-day situations, but they are usually absurd. They aren't physics-defyingly absurd, but they tend to be ridiculous.

For example, the dream I remember from last night:

I was going out on a date with this girl I'm interested in, but her 20-year-old brother (who I'm also friends with) came with us. We couldn't decide what to do, so we went to a Shoney's. It looked like one of those "wild west" style diners (unpainted wood floors and walls, peanuts, sawdust, etc. You get the picture), and they were playing live country music inside. I also saw someone there that I know but don't expect to see more than a couple more times in my life, and certainly not by accident.

Yeah.

Finally, someone who dreams like me
Quote by JacobTheMe
I rarely remember my dreams, and the only ones I do remember are either sleep paralysis (which I get A LOT) or some weird color thing such as when you press control+t in iTunes or something.

Damn dude, how did I never see this before?

That'll mess my stoned buddies up
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Finally, someone who dreams like me

Also, at Jacob, damn! Thanks for showing me this badassery in iTunes! I also tend to get sleep paralysis a lot.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Ignite

If you can recognize you're dreaming while you're dreaming, you're pretty close to lucid dreaming. If you can learn to lucid dream, you can probably change your dreams if you really hate them that much. Not to mention that lucid dreaming is fun as ****.

Also, I don't get how fun and realistic go together? The most fun part about dreaming is that things can be weird as ****, in my opinion.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
I just read the other posts in the thread there, no-one seems to do anything close to me. Weird.

Do you mean because it's something like being a rockstar? Or just being in a situation that you don't see yourself in, but is still totally realistic? Or that it's realistic enough, but there are some weirdly psychadelic elements?

If it's the latter one, we're fairly similar...

I dream about people I've never met, almost like faces my mind just uses as placeholders. Sometime we're in places I've never been to/ don't really care about and everybody's obviously a mute (I never remember any voices or sayings from my dreams). Visually, everything always seems realistic, but there's never really any "situations", just me, some people, and a location doing nothing.
One time I fell asleep listening to the CD of The Roundhouse Tapes by Opeth. I dreamt I was at the concert.

that was pretty cool, other than that my dreams are usually all different.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
If you can recognize you're dreaming while you're dreaming, you're pretty close to lucid dreaming. If you can learn to lucid dream, you can probably change your dreams if you really hate them that much. Not to mention that lucid dreaming is fun as ****.

Also, I don't get how fun and realistic go together? The most fun part about dreaming is that things can be weird as ****, in my opinion.

I got really into lucid dreaming once, I over-hyped it for myself, but almost got completely lucid twice, but not enough. I soon gave up.
They are ****ing twisted and wierd. They start out like real life, but then some wierd shit happens and it's scary as hell.

Edit: I'll give an example since I just had this dream. I woke up, did everything normally, and I start walking up my street as I normally do (at this point I think it's real since it's what I do when I wake up). Then when I get 10 houses up I see a homeless man sitting their motionless. I tap his shoulder to see what's wrong and my hand goes through him. I start flipping out and yelling and of course everyone thinks I'm insane. Then when everybody is giving me shit for being insane a sort of nuclear bomb thing strikes in the distance but instead of destroying everything, every single thing on the planet turns into liquid. I start swimming through everything (which is now also motionless and appears to be solid), almost dying. I start to scream but it sounds like I'm an alien, and then I realise I'm turning into liquid as well. Then everything just melts into nothing and I experience an "eteranl nothingness".

Then I wake up afraid to walk up the street.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by valacirca
Or maybe as literal as the real world, but you're put into extravagant situations like you're a king of some place or like you're in an action film...?

Pretty much this, though I tend to warp to different locations through the oddest of ways. One second I'll be in a church and I'll go into the basement and suddenly be skiing.
I'm always in some alternate reality where things are different and I just kind of accept it. But sometimes I can tell that something is different, like I'm the only one who knows, like the time I dreamed John Lennon was giving a speech at my school.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by BurningStarlV
I'm usually killing people or fucking beautiful women.
In my dreams...

Remove the fucking, and we're about right. I cut a swathe of blood, guts and general pain through friends and foes alike most nights. I'm usually just about OK with it, apart from when it gets all up close and personal. Dissecting your best friends is not fun.
Page 1 of 2