I finally decide to actually learn the solos well, and one of the ones that I pick is the Afterlife by A7X. Problem is that just the frakking intro is annoying. Unless I decide to use the mid/ring/pinky for the solo, the position just feel awkward. So for those that have 22-frets guitar, how would you play the intro solos (or anything like that in general)?

P.S. I will get 24-frets guitar in the future, but not right now.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Im not actually seeing the problem there..I don't recall ever actually using the 23rd or 24th fret for that song at all
The problem is that, if you use the index/middle/ring for the solo, your pinky will be hitting on the body, while your hand have to wrap around the thick heel on the SA-120, which is just a curved cut out and not a real AANJ.

I am actually thinking of sanding down the heel and the cut.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by BurningStarlV
The problem is that you're trying to play Avenged Sevenfold songs.

And? If you are not making a joke on my music taste, maybe something more helpful?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by BurningStarlV

Funny, but unnecessary.

TS; what about doing your own solos?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
This has almost nothing to do with the number of frets; it's a technique issue. Learn to either work around the heel of your guitar (AANJ is not needed, they're just really awesome) or use your middle/ring/pinky fingers (this is necessary if you want to be proficient anyways).
Quote by Jestersage
The problem is that, if you use the index/middle/ring for the solo, your pinky will be hitting on the body, while your hand have to wrap around the thick heel on the SA-120, which is just a curved cut out and not a real AANJ.

I am actually thinking of sanding down the heel and the cut.

No, if there's a problem, don't automatically blame the guitar.

You need to train your pinky to be more available to the fretboard, floating near the rest of your fingers. I'll bet that right now it curls up, which is why it hits the body of the guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
No, if there's a problem, don't automatically blame the guitar.

You need to train your pinky to be more available to the fretboard, floating near the rest of your fingers. I'll bet that right now it curls up, which is why it hits the body of the guitar.

Thanks. I will try that.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
It's your right hand posture, not your guitar. I've had a professional Jazz musician whipping my technique and positioning into shape for about six or seven years, and I can reach all the way up to where a 26th fret would be on a baseball bat-neck telecaster. Find some images or videos of classical guitarists, try to get a good look at the back of the hand, and practice holding that posture while playing. Above all, never let your palm touch the back of the neck. Don't wrap around it, slide along it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by BurningStarlV

oh mercy, sigged

only suggestion i have is learn how to play it awkwardly, it will help you build strength in using positions like that.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
honestly having a 24fret guitar with a nice cutaway makes it way easier to access the higher frets. i have some solos in my band that i can't play unless i have my 24 fret ibanez, and even then other 24 fret guitars are hard to use too if they don't have an aggressive enough cutaway. however i use the 23rd fret so it's kind of necessary.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP