Page 1 of 2
I've been practicing guitar for about 6 months now and I'm still very upset at what I'm able to (or what I'm not able to) do.

So I'm wondering, what songs could you perform around your 6 months time? Or, what techniques were you doing? It'd be awesome if maybe you could also mention whether you had lessons or not and such.

I want to get a sense of where I am in comparison to others.
Everyone's different, less than 2 years and you're still a beginner.
ive been playing for 7 months... and 7 months when i was 13... but im 20 now so idk if it counts or what not i guess total overall i have 14 months guitar experience but i really didnt know shit back than any way...

i can play these songs cleanly:
wish you were here-pink floyd
hey john whats your name again- the devil wears prada
reptar king of the ozone- the devil wears prada
dogs can grow beards all over- the devil wears prada
alerion- asking alexandria
the final episode- asking alexandria

i can play:
sunshine of you love- cream (but havent figured out the last 10 seconds of the solo)
danger wildman- the devil wears prada (most of it cleanly with a few exceptions)

than a bunch of random riffs, parts of a lot of different songs, but nothing else completely.. even like 3/4s of some and im just lazy

you get what you put into it.. i tend to do better with music i like..
somethings i just completely suck at while other things im satisfactory at

for example i have trouble learning certain strumming patterns, but alternate picking comes to me very very easily... bunch of diff shit

oh and im self taught, i practice prolly 10-20 hours a week

EDIT.. as far as knowledge i know all the basic chords. some barre chords. hammer on's, pull-offs, got natural harmonics down, working on pinch harmonics, alternate picking, bunch of different scales...

oh and i used the beginner lessons on about.com lol

ive only done the first 6 lessons theres actually a decent amount of good information believe it or not.
http://guitar.about.com/library/blguitarlessonarchive.htm
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Jul 19, 2010,
everyone progresses at their own pace now
okay now thats out of the way
self taught now let me see my practice folder
at six months :i couldnt play much faster than master of puppets
i was practicing gallops and working on my picking
i knew all open chords barre chords caged system
i was working of tapping apperently frustrated from all the scratches and the erased "**** this" all over these pages
this is also when i discovered this web page which helped in scales and thoery and stuff
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
Last edited by supersac at Jul 19, 2010,
Everyone learns at different speeds. Ive been playing for 5 years. at 6 months, i could play rhythm to some green day sloppily, and some AC/DC. other than that, i was crap. it just takes time and patience.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
It definitely depends on whether or not you have taken lessons and even more importantly i think is just how much you play/practice.
Myself, the only lessons I've gotten are from here in the columns and such so I pretty much count myself self taught. I've been playing for about 5 years at a steady pace I'd say. At 6 months I was playing probably little punk riffs like All American Rejects or something to get myself ready for stuff like Master of puppets, Back in Black, and Thunderstruck probably. The punk tracks were pretty easy to play straight through but the other songs i mentioned I probably would have played through section by section following along on Guitar pro or power tab. I wasn't able to play any real solos and pretty much stuck to rhythm sections, though i did try to learn Hetfield's acoustic solo for Puppets and like everyone tried to do the tapping for thunderstruck. Nowadays I've finally started to be able to fire off judas priest solo's with decent proficiency for lead work and for rhythm stuff the craziest i go is either iced earth of lamb of god. If you're looking for techniques to get down from the start and save some time I'd say for the left hand, learn to actually incorporate your pinky on a regular basis as opposed to being a 3 fingered guitarist :p and for the right hand just make sure you can actually keep up with what your left hand is capable of fretting and start using economy picking early, don't get locked up in all down picking and also don't try to hop on the sweep picking train before you're ready or you'll never get anywhere with it. Of course these are only my opinions and thoughts, feel free to do whatever (Anti-Ignorance Clause).
If you're not happy with what you can do, do something about it. Practice.

At 6 months you won't be any sort of guitar player - like someone else said you're still a newbie. Like, a proper newbie. I'd say by the end of playing for 2 years, if you practice 1 hour a day, you should be able to play all open chords, most E/A shape barres and you should know the intervals, notes on the guitar, scales, keys and stuff like that. If you practice.
6 months? In all honest pretty much sweet FA, I'd barely got to grips withe the feel of the guitar, it's had only really just stopped feeling like a stupid plank of wood at that stage.

I could strum chords, had taught myself barre chords, learned most of the notes along the low E and A so I could actualyl use barre chords and I could play lots of riffs and bits of songs, a few whole songs and no solos.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 19, 2010,
I was playing hard rock standards... AC/DC, Sabbath, Zeppelin and punk songs like Green Day (early) and Rise Against.

I was just coming to grips with improvising, and getting so frustrated that my teacher could pull a solo out his ass and mine would sound like shit even though i'd practiced the pentatonic for about 3 months.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
At the risk of looking a total prat, I put a few videos's of mine on youtube, basically to keep a records of my progress and also to get some feeback from other players, it's been a great help. I write on each video how many months I've been playing so I can keep track.

I haven't posted a video for a while and my playing has come on quite a lot since the last one. These days I mostly play my SG trying to get the scales sorted and learning riffs.

I haven't got the link but search for pink3quarter on youtube.
Some medium-hardish punk songs with simple leads. I was playing solely with my fingers at that point. At about the 6 month mark I discovered new music which pushed my abilities over my limit and that's where I really took off...
Quote by steven seagull
6 months? In all honest pretty much sweet FA, I'd barely got to grips withe the feel of the guitar, it's had only really just stopped feeling like a stupid plank of wood at that stage.

I could strum chords, had taught myself barre chords, learned most of the notes along the low E and A so I could actualyl use barre chords and I could play lots of riffs and bits of songs, a few whole songs and no solos.

Pretty much the same

My major milestones during the first 6 months were changing chords cleanly and being more proficient in my strumming
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, I know everybody learns at their own pace, this is something that encourages me to play better.

I guess I'm at the right place right now, thanks a ton again.
I'm self taught and still a noob. I was probably just as frustrated as you are around the 6 month mark and I put off learning theory. In fact, I was playing purely in drop tuning. I just wanted to play some songs and have fun with it.

In fact I'm still pretty embarassed with my overall progression and I've been playing for about a year and a half. I suppose that's what happens when you're teaching yourself and just want to make loud noises.

I've decided to dedicate myself to more theory and to learn some scales now. I think perhaps I'm finally taking it a bit more seriously. I play about an hour every day, and I'm always learning new songs, but I can't improvise because I didn't learn scales.

Really you just have to look at how hard you've been trying. Are you self taught? Do you play every day? Are you learning theory?
I play for less than six months. I've started early this year. I'm no pro, but I feel comfortable with what I play. It's usually some Metallica or Iron Maiden stuff. Personally, I don't learn whole songs, because there's always an solo, and I yet have to buy an electric guitar.

I don't mind playing rhythm, but I always tend to go lead. It's just more fantastic to me. Of course, I can't play anything that good, but I'm happy. Learning some nice riffs is good. I don't do much fingerpicking stuff, except for Stairway to Heaven. Damn that thing is amazing.

I don't know a lot of chords. Mostly the basic ones, minors, majors, and stuff. I don't really play with them.

My "practice" is just playing what I know. When I'm done with that, I proceed with my imagination. Making up riffs is nice.

Enjoy your guitar!

Ivan
Quote by bloppyblue
I've been practicing guitar for about 6 months now and I'm still very upset at what I'm able to (or what I'm not able to) do.

So I'm wondering, what songs could you perform around your 6 months time? Or, what techniques were you doing? It'd be awesome if maybe you could also mention whether you had lessons or not and such.

I was pretty much horrible. I thought I was doing ok at some things, but I really wasn't.
I was worried about how I compared to other people at the same stage.

I think everyone goes through that and it eventually passes. You tell yourself that you "understand that everyone progresses at different stages" but I don't think you really accept it until later on. Only after about a year of playing and seeing myself making real progress and feeling good about it did I stop thinking about how far along I should be.

I know that I spent a lot more time reading message boards then. I was worried about doing things right. I suppose I was soaking in a lot of knowledge, but now I could really care less about "proper technique". Obviously, I want to do things the right way. However, it doesn't matter as much to me anymore.

I just want to play songs I like and maybe make up some of my own stuff.
I could play Tears Don't Fall by BFMV (minus the solo). I didn't have too much trouble with it.

I can't remember really anything else. At about 6 months, I was still working on my chops. Alternate picking, some 3 string arpeggios, memorizing modes and 7th chords, along with other bits.
ive been playing a year now and I honestly cannot remember, nothing really exciting anyway.

Im sure there are/were lots of songs I could have played, but I am only really just now starting to learn songs.. I would just learn bits and pieces I thought sounded cool, yet could come nowhere near playing at full speed. Spent a good chunk of time teaching myself some theory. Spent a lot of time making up chords and trying to create progressions in different keys etc.

Open chords I knew, though that doesnt mean I am still 100% able to switch between any chord to any other one in an instant cleanly without falter, sometimes I do still slip up. I can pretty much flip to any barre chords from any other chord at any time except for the A major shape barre chord.. ****er is a pain in the ass.

Really couldnt do much of anything, and I still feel like I cant.

We'll see where I am in another year, hopefully with some lessons in between

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
after six months i was trying to play every part of james hettfeild rhythms.. mainly powerchords and palm muting.. i started with real lead shred guitar after 1,5 years
Quote by glenthemann

Really couldnt do much of anything, and I still feel like I cant.

Haha this pretty much sums it up for me. I just gotta remind myself that I'm having fun, and the fun will only increase as I put more time into learning new things
I could play many alternative rock songs.

I remember having to practice a bit for "Pretty Fly for a White Guy". Chorus section always threw me off.

But then again, I have friends who have played the guitar for +10 years and cannot play those kind of riffs to save their lives.
I could play a few full Incubus songs, Zeppelin, Three Days Grace, Modest Mouse, stuff like that. I could never get through a whole song completely without messing up a few times though. I think I had just started learning theory and scales and all that. What really turned it around for me was buying a moderately expensive Martin because it made we want to make my guitar "respect" me. I felt like in order to have a decent guitar I should have decent skills to go along with it, otherwise I'd be doing the guitar a disservice just by playing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMKjWd5Op0

Thats me at 7 months taken about 10 months ago. I can't really play much faster than that now, but I play much more relaxed now with less motion in both my hands which is more important, with better vibrato and tone.
Last edited by Timothongz at Jul 20, 2010,
I was just learning solos. I could play the Hey Joe solo, STH solo, and could play chords decently well
Quote by tattyreagh
Isn't it in the US Constitution that you can defecate on any carpets you like. If not then America is not the land of the free.

Quote by vulgarmachine
I like to stuff pizza crust up my bum.
Me at 7 months...god I sound awful...not trying to promote my video..it was just easier to watch the video rather then go thru what I can and can't do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZpMqHJh9-A
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
I could play barre chords.......poorly.....very poorly.....for maybe 30 seconds.....

OK, I should have thought about this before posting my video...At 6 months I could

barely play Crazy Train Intro..but I had the alt pick riff down
barely do open chord changes
hammer ons and pull offs...but not for very long
barely use my pinky
I could play MoP intro but I couldn't do the juggy walk up riff
the A Minor Pent scale
barely do double stop bends
barely palm mute
play a song past the intro lol
barre chords
learned the bottom 2 strings and the notes associated with them (this knowledge has trickled down to every string...you only have to remember five strings cuz the High e is well...its an e string

Practice practice practice!! DONT GIVE UP!!!!
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
Last edited by d4man at Jul 20, 2010,
It's an interesting question. I don't know the answer for myself - yet. Whilst I currently play a few other instruments guitar is not one of them.

I've played professionally in London, for West End Shows, sessions and the like so the reading/theory/etc is no problem.

I'm planning to start a project in the next few weeks to see how good I can get on the guitar in a year doing only 1 hours practice a day. Practice is one of my pet topics so hopefully I can use effective practice to improve quickly.

Anyhow, for now I'm still reading and getting plans together
Quote by bloppyblue

And that will be your downfall. If you are comparing yourself to other players you will never be happy about your own!
You shouldn't have to worry about how good you are in a certain amount of time.

Its not a race, learn at your own pace (rhyme not intended.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I think i learned how to fret on every string and a few chords maybe ...
i started progressing after 2 years dramatically .
Quote by Ghefly
And that will be your downfall. If you are comparing yourself to other players you will never be happy about your own!

The minute you're happy with how you do something is the same minute when you stop improving. Humans got to the top of the food chain through navel-gazing and a general sense of their own inadequacy.
Quote by xadioriderx
you should just mount a really big chunk of wood

Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
When I started someone said you should just forget all about theory for the first year and just work on your chops. Best advice I never took.
6 Months? I could 8 finger tap. But i didn't know a single chord. I only knew major and minor scales. Damn self taught-ness. It's screwing me up.

Now, i know all my scales and modes, and can blaze htrough them, and i can do a bunch more fancy stuff, but i still know only a painfully small amount of chords.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
I'm 19 and've been playing electric about 7 months or so.

I can play If Only by QotSA pretty ok, solos and everything. I don't think I'm good but I'm happy with the progress I'm making.
Essentially I was shit. I knew a bunch of random riffs and chords but probably couldn't get through a full song if my life depended on it.
At six months
Pretty much had my basic chords down and major and pentatonic scales, but didnt know any theory.
Couldnt alternate pick, i would down pick everything
I think i was playing
Stairway to heaven minus solo(i knew it but i couldnt play it nearly fast enough)
Plug in baby by muse (although it gave me a little bit of trouble)
and pretty much a bunch of random riffs like crazy train, enter sandman, etc.
Last edited by Shadow650 at Jul 22, 2010,
Quote by TMF128
You shouldn't have to worry about how good you are in a certain amount of time.

Its not a race, learn at your own pace (rhyme not intended.)

True enough. I swear comparing my progress to others just depresses me. Youtube videos of dudes shredding like a madman when they've "only been playing for a year."

Thing is, everyone is better at some things. I mean, if you know tons of chords, but have trouble with downpicking, does that mean you're behind the guy that doesn't know any chords, but can downpick like Hammet?

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Just play to have fun
Page 1 of 2