Seeing as I'm ordering my Blackstar HT-5 soon, hopefully by the end of this week, I've had the thought of getting a standard setup done on my Schecter C-1 Elite.

I'm wondering if it's really worth shelling out $55, though.

Daddy's Junky, the only place close enough to me that does standard setups charges $55, it covers truss rod adjustment, intonation, etc..

The big thing is the truss rod, I don't trust myself in doing so.

My Schecter hasn't been playing so well as of late, when I bought it second hand from the guy he had it setup very well, action was low as hell, but it was in standard tuning.

I bought 11-52 gauge strings, and set it up for dropped C tuning myself. I did some adjustments with the bridge, intonation, and I did attempt to do a little truss rod work, but I stopped in fear of f**king up.

So the action is a little high, I can't get the intonation spot on anymore, and when I try lowering it at all I get massive fret buzz all the way across the fretboard.

Would getting a standard setup fix all this?

And probably a stupid question, but do I just tell them I want "so and so" tuning with "so and so" string gauge? The daddy's site says they re-string as well, I honestly don't care if they do because I can do that just fine myself, but I don't want to get my Schecter back and have it tuned to E and have 9 gauge strings on it.. Then I'm back to square f'ing one.

I've never had a pro setup done before, except for my extremely flawed and P.O.S. Ibanez RG350.. Got rid of that thing fast.

TL;DR..
Is a pro setup worth it? Will it make my Schecter a lot more playable? [Intonation & truss rod adjustments, etc..]. Can I tell them to put 11-52 or even 12-54 gauge strings on and tune it to dropped C?
I cant say whether its worth it or not, having never had one done myself, but im sure if you asked them to set it up a certain way as long as its within reason theyll do it.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
yes it is worth getting it done, providing the tech has a good reputation and actually knows what he is doing (if not it`s you`ve paid for a expensive restring)

remember to tell the tech exactly how you want it set up, (string gauge, what tuning you want it setup for, action), make sure he checks the wiring for dry joints, etc....

if you learn to do it yourself you are going to save bags of money, and it will actually teach you something about guitars in general.

doing truss rod work yourself...just keep tell yourself it`s a piece of wood, it helps removing the fear
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Seeing as I'm ordering my Blackstar HT-5 soon, hopefully by the end of this week, I've had the thought of getting a standard setup done on my Schecter C-1 Elite.

I'm wondering if it's really worth shelling out $55, though.

Daddy's Junky, the only place close enough to me that does standard setups charges $55, it covers truss rod adjustment, intonation, etc..

You'll want to learn to do this yourself, I'll try to give you all the tips and tricks I can, but do your research both on UG and the interwebz.

The big thing is the truss rod, I don't trust myself in doing so.

Might wanna suck it up and do it yourself mate. I know the first time will be the most difficult, but gotta do it at some point. I'll go into detail with the truss rod soon.

My Schecter hasn't been playing so well as of late, when I bought it second hand from the guy he had it setup very well, action was low as hell, but it was in standard tuning.

I bought 11-52 gauge strings, and set it up for dropped C tuning myself. I did some adjustments with the bridge, intonation, and I did attempt to do a little truss rod work, but I stopped in fear of f**king up.

Again, you'll have to get over said fear. Adjusting the truss rod isn't isn't as horrible as people think, just gotta take it slow and know which way gives you relief, and which way gives you more tension.

So the action is a little high, I can't get the intonation spot on anymore, and when I try lowering it at all I get massive fret buzz all the way across the fretboard.

Would getting a standard setup fix all this?

Okee Dokee, here we go. Getting it set up will probably fix this, and you will have to tell them "so and so" string gauge "in so and so" tuning. But if you want to learn to do this on your own, just know a few pointers. The reason (I have to assume) you get massive fret buzz when lowering the action is due to the tension in the neck. If you give the neck some tiny relief with a little adjustment of the truss rod (remember, only tweak the truss rod 1/4 of a whole turn around at a time, do not go fast, and check after each and every 1/4 turn) then you can lower the action and will not get the fret buzz you mentioned. This can solve the intonation problem, for that I can't be 100% sure.

And probably a stupid question, but do I just tell them I want "so and so" tuning with "so and so" string gauge? The daddy's site says they re-string as well, I honestly don't care if they do because I can do that just fine myself, but I don't want to get my Schecter back and have it tuned to E and have 9 gauge strings on it.. Then I'm back to square f'ing one.

I've never had a pro setup done before, except for my extremely flawed and P.O.S. Ibanez RG350.. Got rid of that thing fast.

TL;DR..
Is a pro setup worth it? Will it make my Schecter a lot more playable? [Intonation & truss rod adjustments, etc..]. Can I tell them to put 11-52 or even 12-54 gauge strings on and tune it to dropped C?

Pretty much answered the rest of that with my above piece. I'm no expert, but I've told you what I think will work, based on experience tinkering with guitars, mainly my Les Paul, which is currently so well set up I've had "pro" guitar techs asking me if I'd had it professionally set up whenever I take it in to my lessons.

EDIT: Again, I CANNOT stress this enough, take it slow, and easy. Like you're losing your virginity all over again... Okay it's not really like that, but just know that nothing will go wrong if you take things nice and easy, don't overdo those truss rod tweaks and lower the action just a bit after each tweak, until you've gotten to your desired action without the fret buzz.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jul 19, 2010,
^
Thanks, I will eventually take the time to learn all of it. I do have a low end guitar I can tweak and mess with and I wouldn't care too much if I messed it up, I will probably take the approach on that before my main guitar.

Also, a question: How do I know what size allen key to use on my Schecter (Or any guitar, actually)?
I have a bunch of random ones lying around, and I've used one that felt like it fit right in the truss rod (I was doing this on my Epiphone SG Special I sold not too long ago), but I have no knowledge of knowing if it is the right size or not..

EDIT: Okay, just for my personal sake I'm going to get the standard setup done [Just this one time, I swear ]. When time comes around that I need to change my strings again (I'll keep same gauge), I'll try to do a little work myself, just to start out with.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
^
Thanks, I will eventually take the time to learn all of it. I do have a low end guitar I can tweak and mess with and I wouldn't care too much if I messed it up, I will probably take the approach on that before my main guitar.

Also, a question: How do I know what size allen key to use on my Schecter (Or any guitar, actually)?
I have a bunch of random ones lying around, and I've used one that felt like it fit right in the truss rod (I was doing this on my Epiphone SG Special I sold not too long ago), but I have no knowledge of knowing if it is the right size or not..

Still, don't ruin that other guitar, try to do it right the first time so you'll be prepared.

Well if the key fits, and can rotate within that little slot and you can tell it's affecting the truss rod, its the right size. Generally, guitars all use the standard allen key size, I've seen some that vary, but if you've got the standard size that's probably it. Like I said, nice and slow on those turns, and don't force anything.

EDIT: Do what must be done my friend. If you're too afraid then you're too afraid. Just know that I was horrified at the prospect of first working with my Les Paul's truss rod, but the end result was very rewarding. I can set up all of my guitars myself, so long as it doesn't require nut work. Trying to fix up a nut and stop it from binding with the strings still eludes my repertoire of skills.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by CL/\SH
Still, don't ruin that other guitar, try to do it right the first time so you'll be prepared.

Well if the key fits, and can rotate within that little slot and you can tell it's affecting the truss rod, its the right size. Generally, guitars all use the standard allen key size, I've seen some that vary, but if you've got the standard size that's probably it. Like I said, nice and slow on those turns, and don't force anything.

EDIT: Do what must be done my friend. If you're too afraid then you're too afraid. Just know that I was horrified at the prospect of first working with my Les Paul's truss rod, but the end result was very rewarding. I can set up all of my guitars myself, so long as it doesn't require nut work. Trying to fix up a nut and stop it from binding with the strings still eludes my repertoire of skills.

I'm only too afraid with my Schecter, I couldn't afford to screw it up. I'll do anything to my LTD, or actually I won't even try it on the LTD, I have my half-brother's Ibanez GRG from the metal jumpstart pack.. He's still stuck on the video game craze (He's 15), so I ended up just giving him an old iPod for it and the crap amp it came with.
I'll mess around with the GRG, just to try and give myself a little experience.. Does that sound like a good idea?
That would work, I'm assuming the set up is terrible on that guitar, so it would be good to try to fix it up.

It's really hard to explain how the relief in the neck affects the action and how the combination of those two can cause fret buzz with out showing you in person on a guitar, so I won't try on here. Look on Youtube, I'm sure there are plenty of set up videos on there that could help you.
you wanna get it down once and have them make it exactly how you like it so next time you can do it yourself.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I personally wouldn't pay someone to do that. I'm only going to tweak it anyway, so it would be a waste.

There are tons of tutorials on the web on how to do it, so I don't understand why folks are so reluctant to learn how. This ain't rocket science! Everything is undoable unless you get stupid on it.

Especially if you MEASURE (ffs), you will know what your starting point is, where you went with adjustments and how to get back.

Just learn. (This editorial is not directed at the TS personally. )
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
If you do not know what you are doing and value the guitar it is worth every penny for a pro set up. Is it hard to learn how to do your self? That depends on the person. Some people can never remember what way to turn a screw to loosen or tighten it. If that describes you take it to a pro. If you want to learn how to do the work I suggest getting a guitar that is purely an experimental platform to screw around with and learn on.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I adjusted my truss rod a few week back for the first time on my brand new strat. I shat bricks at first but now I trust myself doing it on my own.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
It is worth it if you really desire a well set up guitar. However, you can do it yourself and you shoulnd't be so scared. For truss rod adjustment, make sure your turning it the right way and only do a little bit at a time. The adjustment takes a while to get into an equilibrium, so if do a quarter turn, leave it for 24 hours before you decide you need to turn it a bit more.

Only way you're gonna muck it up is if you get crazy and make a huge and an unnecessary adjustment. Intonation and action can be tricky to adjust as the three things are dependant on each other.

Just be dilligent and you should be fine. But if you're a worry wart, just shell out the 50 bucks. Your guitar will thank you.
50 bucks is alot of money for 30 minutes (f it takes that long to set it up) of work when you could do it yourself just the way you want it. As mentioned above, take your time and do it right.