Boom chika chika rollll.. yea so ah yea I need help pickin out a new laptop for the future production of music. Ive decided on PC due to the significant pricings for = hardware..

I want to record guitar as : Jackson > Peavey > (if needed hardware) > Computer

If possible to runn all these programs but if upgraded/ new materials are needed, so be it
I currently have:
Cubase 4 W/ lexicon Lambda
Fruity Loops 8
guitar pro
Muse Score

Im a noob with the technology side of music =/
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
How set are you on a PC? Because I would HIGHLY suggest getting a Macbook and using Garageband. It comes with it, and you can just plug right in via USB or the mic jack.
^Why would he just forget about the arguably better software he has just so he could use garageband?

The most important thing you should be looking for is a computer with a decent amount of RAM, processing power, hard-drive space and to a lesser extent, size, which is important if you plan on lugging it around with you.

Generally, you will be able to do a lot with these features;

CPU: 2.0GHz (minimum) Intel core 2 duo
RAM: 4GB
Hard-drive: Seagate are a good brand and one around 200GB or more with do.
USB ports: On my laptop I only have 3 ports, and when doing music stuff, one has a mouse in it and another has an external hard-drive attached which leaves only one for any interfaces etc. So to prevent you from having to buy extra USB hubs you may as well just get a PC with enough ports in the first place.
Asus G73 laptop, I think that's what they have out now, I have a G71, 6 GB of ram, 500GB hard drive, Nividia Geforce GTX260 M Cuda 1GB graphics card, Intel Core Duo processer, 17 in screen.

The most badass laptop ever, and I do recordings on it just fine. The newer ones are prolly even better.

They run for about $1200-$1600, but they will be the last computer you buy for a while, comparable to Mac's easily.

Also, get an interface and a nice mic, like a Shure SM-57, or Audix I5.

Edit: This makes my G71 look like a relic.

Asus G73 notebook, $1600

Brand: ASUS Processor Type: Intel Quad Core i7-720QM
Type: Laptop/Notebook Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
Screen Size: 17.3 inches Processor Configuration: Quad Core
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Memory (RAM): 8 GB
Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW Hard Drive Capacity: 1,000 GB
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
^Why would he just forget about the arguably better software he has just so he could use garageband?

The most important thing you should be looking for is a computer with a decent amount of RAM, processing power, hard-drive space and to a lesser extent, size, which is important if you plan on lugging it around with you.

Generally, you will be able to do a lot with these features;

CPU: 2.0GHz (minimum) Intel core 2 duo
RAM: 4GB
Hard-drive: Seagate are a good brand and one around 200GB or more with do.
USB ports: On my laptop I only have 3 ports, and when doing music stuff, one has a mouse in it and another has an external hard-drive attached which leaves only one for any interfaces etc. So to prevent you from having to buy extra USB hubs you may as well just get a PC with enough ports in the first place.

^^ Everything here except hard drive size. GO BIG. You want a HUGE hard drive. I have over 3 TB available and its already 2tb full. It never hurts to have space.

Make sure to get a good interface and/or DI . Cubase 4 is a fantastically powerful DAW. I'm surprised you have it and don't know that.
alright so with all the information gathered so far im liking

a) a refurbished ASUS or Dell XPS laptop ( with external hardrive) 750-1000
b) HP desktop <surprisingly good specs in the home pc elite series.. upgrades inexpensive 800-1200 depending on specs
c) all in one PC.. ehh.. super cheap

any experience with financing through best buy refurbished?
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by Rahguzar
^^ Everything here except hard drive size. GO BIG. You want a HUGE hard drive. I have over 3 TB available and its already 2tb full. It never hurts to have space.

Make sure to get a good interface and/or DI . Cubase 4 is a fantastically powerful DAW. I'm surprised you have it and don't know that.

My G71 has two slots for hard drives, and they make 1 TB hard drives for my computer, I really want one.

If you get a computer, I highly recommend getting a new one instead of a refurbished one. My G71 was top of the line when I bought it 9 months ago, look at it now, completely out of date.
this computer is only going to be used for music production/ Starcraft 2. Meaning no internet and stuff

I like the refurbished idea better.. Its been looked at due to whatever reason, the newest model and 20%- 50% cheaper? seems like a good buy to me. and they get good reviews online
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02
Jackson DK2M
Jackson WRXT
Jackson KSXT
Jackson DXMG
Jackson 7 String soloist

Ovation Celeberity
Quote by seymour_jackson
this computer is only going to be used for music production/ Starcraft 2.

sorry this made me laugh a little...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by seymour_jackson
this computer is only going to be used for music production/ Starcraft 2. Meaning no internet and stuff

Wow, the two main reasons i want a laptop is music production, and Diablo 2! lol but I want internet though, because downloading guitar pro tabs would be nice. of course Diablo 2 doesnt require high specs, so my laptop-to-be is going to be a piece of junk most likely, sucks having no license and no job. lol
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
Yeah, you want a large HD, but you really can go overboard. If this is a computer specifically for audio, what the hell are you going to fill a 3TB HD with? Audio? Don't you ever back anything up, or do you *like* the idea of having an archive of projects from 7 years ago on your computer?

Really, I don't get it.

I think the main reason that there is a demand for drives that big is because people download movies. Other than that.... really.... what do you fill it with?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.