Obviously everyone wants the best computer out there... but realistically what does your computer need?!

I've done some research and reading, and wanted your opinions.

Since computers are pretty good nowadays anyway, i'm not fussed about other functions.. idon't think! - I can watch movies on my ps3 and play games too, so games arre out the window.

I read that:
Processor type
Processor speed
Ram

Are most importaNT?

but what is the minimum requirement?
I heard programs like cubase and cakewalk use up like 2GB of RAM?!
I would need a minimum speed of 2.0 ghz?
Better to use dual core processor?

Im just looking at thislaptop and it seems to fit everyone,... can someone critizise this laptop cos i'm looking for faults:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230720587/Product.aspx

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
As long as it can run TUXGUITAR
so i can learn songs i don't mind.

I don't really play games.

xD
Leukemia Skywalker
Those 3 are definantly most important in terms of what the computer will do. But you will want a good set of moniters aswell. Normal speakers will often 'colour' your audio output, moniters don't (Although saying that, I've used normal speakers in the past, and have listened to the mixes through moniters and they've sounded perfectly fine). Don't even try recording or mixing with laptop speakers.

I don't know much about the technical side really. But, the more processing power, the better. Get the best you can. Reading through, that laptop ought to do the job.

Lots of RAM is helpful. Last year in college we had Cubase 5 on 1GB of RAM. Which really wasn't enjoyable as soon as you started using lots of tracks, VST/VSTi's, and effects and such. The laptop I mix on only has 1GB aswell, it really does make doing large mixes a total bitch. I've been meaning to upgrade for quite a while.

My advice would just be get the best of everything that you can.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jul 19, 2010,
when buying a PC, consider the software you are and will be working with and note the recomended specs. Also know those are usually set quite low.
Ideally you'll want something with a lot of "buffer room" so you won't be pushing the system to the max.

I say a desktop PC with the following specs should be fine with most of the software out there today.
- 350GB+ 7200RPM SATA2 HDD (5400RPM laptop drives will slow you down lots)
- Intel Dual Core 2GHz Processor
- 3GB of DDR2 or DDR3 RAM (4+ is better if you can get it but 3 will work)

Video cards are something to look into but you don't need a 200$ card on recording machines. A simple $100 card will keep up the graphics just fine. Although these are not a MUST have, I suggest them as they will take strain off the MB and help speed the system up a little more.

32bit OS gives you up to 3.75GB of ram access but it's more stable.
Moving to a 64bit OS allows you to use much more ram but also may have you pulling hairs when it comes to finding working drivers...

So yea the specs stated above are what I consider to be a fair budget system which should run most of the sequencers out there today.

Cakewalk software takes support for multi core systems so running dual or quad core would speed things up much more.
As for laptops vs desktops...I never liked running laptops because they heat up a ton, are a pain to work on with a track pad and small screen, and you can't update any hardware over the years.

I bought my Acer Aspire T180 3 years ago and have been able to upgrade it though the years making it run top notch to this day.
With a laptop, you usually run them for 4-5 years and toss them...some last 3 years as the HDD fails or the battery won't charge anymore.

I also don't like the fact that Laptops usually use 5400RPM drives which is used to save battery life. After adding a few tracks of audio and such, you are going to notice the system lag quite a bit because of this simple lower speed drive.
If you have cash to burn, go for a 250GB or larger solid state drive, a 64bit OS, and Windows 7 as it will run really fast on this. But be aware you are still as slow as the lowest component in the laptop.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 19, 2010,
I think that is a really great reply there moody, wonderful insight.

I would get a desktop,the problem is I'm constantly onthe go, hence I need a laptop... but that will be good after a year when i settle down.

Are there anydifferences in brands of computer, e.g. HP, Packard Bell, or Dell?

obviously the one i wanna get is packard bell, before that I was using Sony Vaio

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
i have a q6600 w/ 3 gigs of ddr3. i'd really like to trade this out for an i7 w/ 4 gigs of ddr3
Most people tend to stick with one or two brands that they have used in the past and know work well but the truth is that most computers have the same parts in them and so brands really don't make all that much difference.

I've worked with Sony, Dell, Panasonic, Acer, and HP laptops in the past and the only issue I had was with the Acer but I was able to fix it with my electronic skills. (Power jack broke in half so I took the motherboard apart and soldered in a new one).
But generally Acer seems to make the best budget machines out there these days.

[attempts to compete with the above post LOL]
My current specs on the Acer Aspire T180 desktop I use:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727964

I've got to get some income so I can just rebuild most of it. I'm struggling on editing full 1080p HD video a bit and a new video card will work much better on Adobe CS5. I've been wanting to try the new i7 Intel processor as well. So for me I'm going to get a new case, motherboard, processor, video card, and power supply.
All the drives and such are basically new and plenty of space for me at this point...no need to replace what ain't broken...
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 19, 2010,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-239-OK&groupid=43&catid=1078&subcat=

That, With windows 7 for £60, no graphics card upgrade (the one it has will do just fine) and no security software (You can get it free) is an absolute bargain. 3ghz dual core and 4gb ram is more than enough.

Edit:

Just looked at your links, do you REALLY need a laptop. Think long and hard about that, as laptops are more expensive and, as far as I care to spend, incapable of matching their desktop equivalents.
Last edited by theepiczebra at Jul 19, 2010,