I am looking to make an investment with my bassist so that we can a comparable setup to my rig. I play through a marshall DSl 100 head with a 4X12 cabinet, and my friend is currently playing a offbrand 10 watt combo. I've talked to my local music dealer about what would be a minimum power rating for a bass amp that can cut through the Marshall, he said 600 watts and pointed me towards the M6 Carbine by Mesa Boogie with matching cabs. I played it at the store and while it is a great sounding amp it is out of my price range. I would like your advice on what is needed for a bass amp to cut through the marshall, pertaining to watts, cab and speaker size. We are looking to play thrash inspired death metal similar to Desecration and Flayed Disciple tunned to C standard and drop A#. any advice would greatly be appreciated and i thank you for your time.
Magic number is 300W. BUT take note that LOUDNESS comes from speakers, not watts, example:
220W cab with 105Db speakers will be louder than 300W cab with 96Db speakers.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Some companies are very liberal w/ their ratings like Behingher, and some are more conservative like Genz Benz or QSC. A 1000 watts Behingher bass amp may not be louder than a 500 watts Markbass. So don't based your purchase solely on watts, but also how many usable tone, and head room there is.
Quote by C0_0kie
Magic number is 300W. BUT take note that LOUDNESS comes from speakers, not watts, example:

listen to this man.

Also the more speaker area the more air is being moved.

Look for hartke, they do good in any genre the HA series has a ten band EQ so it can be shaped however you want, I use a 250 watt HA head, it cuts fine at about 5 or 6.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
The M6 Carbine is an awesome amp, but Mesa gear and most high end gear in generally is always expensive brand new from the retail store. You could probably find one used in almost jet as good of shape. I'd recommend going used anyways, so even if you scale the rig back some you have extra money for effects and the like.
Quote by C0_0kie

+1 to this.

I generally don't like anything over 300w. Even on solid state. Most of my amps are in the 200ish watt range. But (as you can see from the sig), i have the speaker volume to be heard.

In my experience, watts are ALMOST nothing more than an arbitrary number, for all intents and purposes. It's a case-by-case scenerio in that, you just have to try different amps out and just use its posted wattage as more of a rough guideline.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
A watt is a watt. How loud do you play. Im guessing youre not gigging yet if your bass player only has a 10 watt combo.

300 watts will give you plenty of headroom.

Why you need a 100 watts is another quesion though.

Im currently sitting in for a friend who broke his arm and the guitard in that uses a vox ac30 and i use a 250 watts through a 1x15 and thats perfect as were using the pa too be our sound rather then amps.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by fatgoogle
250 watts through a 1x15.

Exactly my setup for about 75% of my shows. Love it.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
And the beauty is if i need more volume i add another cab and ive got 500 watts to play with, but i rarely do .
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I want to thank you all for your advice, but a ballparked decibel rating for the cab would be greatly appreciated. I had gotten so tired of the line 6 spider 3 sound that I thought that a head/cabinet setup was the only way to go, I dont regret the choice I made as the DSl 100 is a great amp and the tone has grown on me.
I just meant as in its such a loud amp to have.

102db or so would be brilliant. But if he can get a full stack 96-98db would do.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I just meant as in its such a loud amp to have.

102db or so would be brilliant. But if he can get a full stack 96-98db would do.

My brothers a drummer so i needed something a bit stronger than the line 6 i had, along with a fuller tone
What kind of gigs are you intending to do and what music.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Excuse my french, but your dealer is full of sh*t

I gigged clubs and outdoor gigs for 2 years with 200w and sounded fine. My recommendation is to get a cab that moves 250w at 8 ohms and a either a 4x10 or 1x15 cab of your choice. You can find a used head and cab of good quality for about $500

JW, what financial position is your bassist in that you need to buy him an amp? If his family is hurting for cash and your just fronting the money for an amp, thats understandable. But if hes just not willing to make an investment, then its worth considering how dedicated to his instrument he his, and whether or not he should be in your band

In any case, I would let him know that until he pays you back that its YOUR amp