I want to be able to record my guitar playing. It's just me alone.

I have a laptop, its internal soundcard can't handle recording. What's the cheapest possible device to get any guitar tones recorded without it becoming a terrible mess like it does now?

I don't want a pod or anything extra like that. I already have an amp that does it.
direct inject box of some kind. try a guitar site instead of google if you try to search it though.
affordable would be download an illegal copy of cubase 5 and asio drivers.

use the mic built in to your laptop or get an outboard one (like a shure pg something) and use that.

edit: shure pg range is just an example, there are many other cheap mics available. check some of your local (bigger) music stores. you can probably get a cheap usb mic or if not, you can probably get a converter from xlr to usb.
Last edited by Doonan at Jul 19, 2010,
I have been doing home recordings for over 5 years now.
The most affordable equipment would be -- GuitarRig 4.
Then instead of using the soundcard in your computer which can't handle the guitar tones (all kinds of hissing and static) you can get the M-Audio Fast Track for about 100$.

I use the Fast Track and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I don't have time to post more because i am at work, but if you want to hear the results check out the songs on my profile. They have near studio like quality.
i bought a line 6 UX1 for about 130€ and it is amazing. i have cubase sx3 which i use for all my recordings but the ux1 comes with an 8 track recording program. can't remember which one though. but you can plug your guitar straight into it or mic your amp. also comes with POD Farm which is kinda like guitar rig. best investment i ever made, recording quality is so high. if you want to hear what it sounds like check out my songs at www.facebook.com/windowofdenial. only thing i didnt use the ux1 for is the drums
Last edited by ccrazyguyy at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by JJ2003
Then instead of using the soundcard in your computer which can't handle the guitar tones (all kinds of hissing and static) you can get the M-Audio Fast Track for about 100$.

I use the Fast Track and I have nothing but great things to say about it. I don't have time to post more because i am at work, but if you want to hear the results check out the songs on my profile. They have near studio like quality.

Guitar Rig 4, affordable? Pfft

There are plenty of good free VST amp simulators out there that, imo, are just as good as GR4.
Quote by JJ2003

So, $400 for it and an interface? No thx.

If you plan on just doing guitar, Line 6's Pod Studio GX. You get Pod Farm and you can use many of the free VST sims out there. $100 total for a good set of software.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Afroboy267
Guitar Rig 4, affordable? Pfft

You can buy Guitar Rig 4 for $199 on their website, digital download.

With Guitar Rig you get software that can make any sound imaginable and most people already have decent sound systems at home so it makes sense for the money.
You would easily spend more on an amp and it may only be suitable for one genre of music.

Its not 400 dollars unless you are buying the Rig Control which is a pedal for it + its software.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have used Guitar Rig, Amplitube, and Logic/Garagebands built in amps and modulation software.

Out of those three GuitarRig is the best.

It has a very low memory imprint also which helps when you are multi-tracking the same riffs in a recording program such as Logic Studio. I have 8-10 instances of GuitarRig running at any given time.

Along with M-Audio Fast track -- WHICH includes PRO Tools essential, which is great - You are looking at a total of $350 dollars.

So, if you are looking to record thats what I would go with.
You get the Amps, the recording software and the interface to make it all sound clean and clear for $350.
Quote by JJ2003
Along with M-Audio Fast track -- WHICH includes PRO Tools essential, which is great - You are looking at a total of $350 dollars.

First off, Fast Track MKII is $120 and comes with PTE

Second, as I've already said, $99 for the Line 6 Pod Studio GX if all you plan to record is guitar. It comes with Pod Farm which kicks the shit out of Guitar Rig

Third, you're wasting a lot of extra memory if you've got 8-10 copies of Guitar Rig running. You should really bounce those tracks to new audio tracks to free up memory for more useful programs.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Doonan
affordable would be download an illegal copy of cubase 5 and asio drivers.

ive highlighted the key word there.
if you cant pay for software, dont use it. it is that simple. there are plenty of free or low cost options out there where you dont need to be stealing other people's work.

and to curb it before it starts, this isnt up for debate people. i dont care about your views on the cost of software or whatever. thats not what this thread is about, so dont bring it up.

anyway, i agree with lock. most affordable way to get good sounds for you guitar on the cheap would be the line 6 gx thingy.

for $120 there is the fast track mk ii that was also mentioned. download some of the free VST amp sims mentioned in the nice guide to vst amp simulation and reaper, and youve got a good setup. i would remcomend paying for reaper too, which brings you to about $200 total, but does give you some more options (especially for expanding) than does just the line 6 gx.