So, a buddy was over the other night and he was asking about my gear at the time, and brought up a strange question. I was running a Boss GT 8 into my effects return, just trying it out for a month from Long and McQuades, and he asked if it was possible to plug into my little cube, and use the phones out of it and plug it into my effects return of the 6505+? Would something like that even work? I assumed at first that maybe it would, as teh direct out/phones is meant for being used as a direct out, and I alson assumed the effects reutrn would then simply act as a power amp. But would impedance or anything come into play? Would it actually work or would it just blow my amp? I have no desire to try it, but was left quite curious if it would actually work.
I don't think it would unless your cube has a preamp out. A line in/out signal is different to an unbalanced guitar signal. Besides, why would you want to?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I don't think it would unless your cube has a preamp out. A line in/out signal is different to an unbalanced guitar signal. Besides, why would you want to?

I thought it was a strange question as well. Buddy figured I could then use the 4X12 cab to better sound than just the little 8 inch or whatever speaker in the cube. I have no intentions of doing it, but curiosity got the better of me and I really wanted to know if it was even possible.
How you do it is to put the Cube in the attic and forget about it. What you are talking about is replacing the 6505 preamp with the preamp from a practice amp. That's just batty. Bypassing it with the GT-8 is loony enough let alone a cube.
Tell your friend to seek medical attention and maybe go along with him yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How you do it is to put the Cube in the attic and forget about it. What you are talking about is replacing the 6505 preamp with the preamp from a practice amp. That's just batty. Bypassing it with the GT-8 is loony enough let alone a cube.
Tell your friend to seek medical attention and maybe go along with him yourself.

The reason I was bypassing it with the GT 8 though was just to get an idea on what the GT 8 could do, and since I live in an apartment, I wanted to do it without getting the cops called on me, lol. I use the Cube for practice at home, and the Peavey for gigging.
Well it's worth experimenting to see what things can do I guess but using a Cube's preamp instead of the 6505's preamp does seem a bit wacky. It'd be like ripping all the seats out of your Rolls Royce and replacing them with ones out of a Skoda.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
*reads OP*

*headsplosion*
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!