Hey guys, i've been playing guitar for roughly a year and a half now, and i've decided to get a new teacher for my guitar playing (to get graded and learn theory and arpeggios etc.)

I had my first lesson recently, and he's told me to work on alternate picking. I use economy picking and can do upstrokes and downstrokes, but he's telling me to learn a completely different way of picking and it feels really awkward to me.

is there anyone who's been in my position? what have you done? and what can i do to make it easier for myself to learn alternate picking? is alternate picking even really worth it when i'm comfortable with economy picking?

thanks for the help in advance =]
GIMME FUE GIMMA FAI GIMMA DABAJAZA

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
Quote by Dabestile
is there anyone who's been in my position? what have you done?

Everyone has something like this. For some people it is alt, for others econ, for others straight one direction picking, etc. For me it was strict alternate picking as well. I just did exercises until it felt natural then I learned songs that used it.
Quote by Dabestile
what can i do to make it easier for myself to learn alternate picking?

See above. I especially like Chris Letchford's exercises from his technique book (sold from Scale the Summit's website).
Quote by Dabestile
is alternate picking even really worth it when i'm comfortable with economy picking?

Yes. You should use the technique that suits the situation. Sometimes it will be better to econ pick, other times it will be better to alt pick. But if you don't learn as much as you can then you will always be limited.

Hope that helps.
It's really a matter of what's more comfortable to you. I'm the opposite way here, alternate picking feels more rhythmically consistent to me.

My advice would be that if you prefer economy picking, then what you should do is get your economy picking down solid. This post talks about alternate and economy picking in more detail, you should read the whole topic if you haven't already.
can anyone recommend any excersices or runs that i could do? with preferably a link?

Fender American Strat > Korg Chromatic Tuner > Jemini Distortion > Boss DD7 > Blackstar HT 20
Last edited by Dabestile at Jul 19, 2010,
or can anyone tab out any good/challenging excercises?

I was lucky enough to get used to alternate picking the first day of my guitar playing. I bet I'll suck at other stuff.