so I recently got this Peavey Triumph 60 and using the amp by itself with the pre-amp again at a respectible level leads to a pretty awesome sound, I like it but I'd like a little more bass response. I can't crank the amp.

I also dug out of storage an old pedal, its a Boss HM-2 'Heavy Metal', and from what I can gather it works as either a kind of OD boost, with the distortion set to zero, or a normal distortion pedal. (no I'm not an expert on this..)

When I play it as a distortion pedal through the clean channel I can get some great tones that really work for me.

But when I put it in from of the (already high) pre-amp gain channel and use it as an OD (with the level up, but dist set to zero) then I get a really noisy mess. The noise level is so high that its not playable.

so I have two questions:

1. With a high-gain amp like this, is it 'normal' to try and boost the signal from the guitar? Or are OD pedals just used to colour the tone a bit. If you can use the pedal as a boost, how do you control the noise? Noise gate?

2. What's the best way to boost the bass a little when using the high-gain channel on the amp? The Triumph 60 for some reason only has the High and Presence tone controls active when on the gain channels, so I can't use the normal low and mid-range knobs, and using the other two doesn't really cut it. What methods could I use? EQ? OD w/tone functions? My current HM-2 in some other way than I'm using it now?

cheers, thanks for reading all this.

btw: I'm using an HSS strat with a passive Irongear bridge humbucker into the amp.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
You using a HSS strat will explain some of it. The pickups are noisy as is, let alone when the gain's riding that high. Atm I've got a laney lh50 and I'm maxing out the drive on that channel, while running a BOSS DN-2 with 75% gain on top of that, and my guitar doesn't make MUCH noise, but it does make some.

Edit: Best way to boost an OD channel is like you said, get a drive stompbox (overdrive usually works better, but I do it with a ds-1, too, and have the gain low and the output high. It just tightens everything up a bit. You could also get the MXR micro-boost or whatever its called.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Last edited by Chikao42 at Jul 19, 2010,
But when I put it in from of the (already high) pre-amp gain channel and use it as an OD (with the level up, but dist set to zero) then I get a really noisy mess. The noise level is so high that its not playable

Try turning the gain on the amp down. If you’re overdriving it with the gain cranked it’s not going to sound good, but if you overdrive it with the gain down you’ll usually get something nice.
It sounds like you don't have the gain level cranked on your amp, and if your already getting a good level of gain out of the amp, you probably don't need to boost for OD. If you still want to use it, try messing with the level setting on the pedal, and a noise gate would be recommended. The Boss NS-2 is pretty much the most popular. An EQ pedal would probably help with the bass response, and you could also look into replacing the speaker, depending on your price range.
OD pedals are used to tighten up a loose sounding gain, while adding some gain. That pedal is not a OD, it's a distortion pedal, and when you run a distortion pedal into another distortion, it's gona sound bad, no matter what you do.

If you need more gain, get a TS9 or Bad Monkey OD pedal, if you want more bass response, get a equalizer pedal or a new amp entirely.
How an amp boosts depends on the amp. For example, the JCM900 has opamps right at the start so if you push the input you are actually pushing a SS clipping circuit into more nasty SS clipping. It's basically an overdrive pedal nailed to the start of the amp. I have no idea what your amp has at the start of the signal path, you may be effectively boosting another SS overdrive circuit instead of a tube - not good. It wouldn't surprise me if the "gain" channel gets it's gain the same way as a JCM900. Without a circuit diagram to look at I couldn't say.
If you want more bass the best bet is an MXR 10 band EQ but if you Keeley mod a ts9/808 you can get a better bass response than a standard tubescreamer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
bass = energy.
low volume != good bass response
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
thanks for all the replies and explanations.

I'll try messing around with the amp's gain controls a bit more, but I guess I should think about getting a different pedal in order to get what I want.

The Boss manual says that the HM-2 incorporates "a newly-designed hard distortion circuit and an improved version of the OD-1...overdrive circuitry.", which led me to believe the pedal would function as an OD or a distortion pedal, but it's probably just marketing mumbojumbo....

The Irongear pickup (it's a Steam Hammer) is noisy, and so is the amp, so I guess that the pedal is just boosting the noise.

I'll look into an EQ I think. In the meantime the HM-2 on the clean channel sounds great.

-Cheers
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.