Page 1 of 3
So, according to Slash's facebook, he has a new signature model on the way. In the form of the Epiphone AFD Les Paul.

According to his (Slash's) Facebook:
"Slash: Just approved the Epiphone "Appetite" LP, its a great sounding & looking guitar. Due in Aug."

http://epiphoneblog.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/he-had-to-nearly-pry-it-out-of-my-hands/

My bet is it will just be an Epiphone Standard with a different veneer and SD Alnico 2 Pros.

Comments?
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Last edited by TomG10-7 at Jul 19, 2010,
It'll just be the epiphone version of the Gibson AFD Les Paul. Which means it will be basically the same guitar with cheaper pickups, and a different shaped headstock with Epiphone written on it instead of Gibson. Oh, and it will also not cost $3,000.
Yeah I saw that about 10 minutes ago. It will prob be $800 for an ugly flame top with a LP Standard sound.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by 67mike
It will suck just like all the other Epis.

yeah man, stick with the Dean and esp guitars THEY ARE TEH BRUTALZ!!!

seriously though, your an idiot
Oh, also.

Low budget Slash fan boys

Us

2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Snakeskin

LMAO

I bet half of the people who say epiphones suck have never actually played one. They are great guitars, especially for the money. Maybe not the very low end models but at Standard and higher grade models are fantastic.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
LMAO

I bet half of the people who say epiphones suck have never actually played one. They are great guitars, especially for the money. Maybe not the very low end models but at Standard and higher grade models are fantastic.

agreed, i own the silverburst custom and its fantastic for its price. To say ALL epiphones suck is rediculous anyways unless you can prove that there is a valid reason. Ive played some crappy ones and ive played some amazing ones. Really it varies. People who say an entire company makes terrible guitars need to have a better reason than "they suck".
Quote by Snakeskin
agreed, i own the silverburst custom and its fantastic for its price. To say ALL epiphones suck is rediculous anyways unless you can prove that there is a valid reason. Ive played some crappy ones and ive played some amazing ones. Really it varies. People who say an entire company makes terrible guitars need to have a better reason than "they suck".

totally. I loves the Silverburst Custom and the regular Custom line.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I love my epiphone

also a Joe Bonamassa Epi Sig is coming out, with burstbuckers

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Jul 19, 2010,
Come on people... Just because Epiphone is not up to class with Gibson doesn't mean the company is making bad guitars. Don't bash them because the guy next to you bashes them. He probably also heard it from someone next to him.

I played several Epi Les Paul before and they were all great guitar for the price. Especially here in Europe.

I am a bit sceptical about this guitar, though. A different veneer with regular Alnico Pro II is not something that worth that much extra. Probably...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yeah lets stop the flaming, if you dont like Epi's, dont waste your time in this thread.

I'm gunna have a hard time resisting this particular guitar, as I will resiting the Joe Bonamassa sig. Damn Epiphone for making so many GAS worthy guitars!
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

jeez guys, how on earth can you say that all Epiphone guitars are crap, it is my opinion that every guitar company makes great guitars and every guitar company makes terrible guitars with all sorts in between, i've played gibson les paul studio's that were on par with epiphone les paul 100's despite being 4x the price

besides if you buy two guitars of the same make and model they wont be same, one could be great and one could be crap, this is especially true if they are made i different factories so

i'd say the bottom line is that some will be great, some will be 'meh' and some will be terrible

oh and some will be Waldo
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
It'll just be the epiphone version of the Gibson AFD Les Paul. Which means it will be basically the same guitar with cheaper pickups, and a different shaped headstock with Epiphone written on it instead of Gibson. Oh, and it will also not cost $3,000.

this is sarcasm, isn't it? You're just pretending to be a noob for teh lulz right?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Ma-hog!
jeez guys, how on earth can you say that all Epiphone guitars are crap, it is my opinion that every guitar company makes great guitars and every guitar company makes terrible guitars with all sorts in between, i've played gibson les paul studio's that were on par with epiphone les paul 100's despite being 4x the price

besides if you buy two guitars of the same make and model they wont be same, one could be great and one could be crap, this is especially true if they are made i different factories so

i'd say the bottom line is that some will be great, some will be 'meh' and some will be terrible

oh and some will be Waldo

That must have been a crazy quality epiphone 100 and a sucky ass studio
you played.
i may be wrong but isn't the main difference between gibson and Epi. the fact that epis are made be machines and gibsons are made by hand??
Quote by elihu4321
i may be wrong but isn't the main difference between gibson and Epi. the fact that epis are made be machines and gibsons are made by hand??

I don't think they're made from start to finish totally by hand or totally by machine. I do know that most Gibsons spend most of their time being built by those stupid Plek machines nowadays.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I don't think they're made from start to finish totally by hand or totally by machine. I do know that most Gibsons spend most of their time being built by those stupid Plek machines nowadays.

Rig Winter 2017:

Yay, yet another Epiphone with a couple of A2Ps slapped in which will sound and play infinitely worse than a Standard would for 99.99% of people!

I like Epiphone but god damn have all the Slash signature models been pointless wastes of time. I miss when Epiphone would make a signature model that was actually significantly different and better than the Standards.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Blompcube

prease exprain.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Danjo's Guitar

I thought all Slash guitars came with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by hminh87

I am a bit sceptical about this guitar, though. A different veneer with regular Alnico Pro II is not something that worth that much extra. Probably...

Epiphone ZW custom anyone?

PASSIVE EMG's, a tacky paintjob, ZW on the back of the headstock: $700-$900.
That's less about Epi's quality and more about the demographic they cater for. The majority of people who will buy the signature guitar of a heavy metal guitarist like Zakk Wylde are 13-18 year olds who can't spend much money and are easily impressed by words such as "fast" and "crushing" and who are even more easily impressed by brand names like EMG and DiMarzio. The people who are into blues, classic rock and traditional instruments won't pay out for anything other than the most accurate vintage replicas, the people who are into modern indie and pop won't be swayed by any names or marketing, the alternative crowd are too set in their ways to market to at all... but the teenage hard rock and metal fans? They are all[/]i about the marketing. The right paint job, the right pickup brand, the right name on the headstock and they'll pay out twice what anyone else would. Slash, Zakk Wylde, Dimebag, Dave Mustaine and so on; slap their names on a product and teenagers won't be able to help themselves.

It's so easy, can you really blame Epiphone? I love my Epi Joe Perry LP and I thought it was a shame that they ceased production of it so they could start making the Slash models, but it makes sense for them. The Joe Perry guitars would have cost them more to make than the Slash models and they can sell the Slash models for considerably more too, plus even with a higher price tag they'll shift the Slash models faster because Slash is a bigger-drawing name. Sure, it's a generic guitar that is arguably worse than an Epi LP Standard and they're saturating the market with all these Slash models, but when they are so cheap to make and so easy to sell in huge numbers, why not?
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Mr. Fibz, you're right, but that's what's sad. No real dignity in it, just simply so they can draw in more money out of ill informed people. It's pathetic to be honest.

Quote by Snakeskin

What about his idiot?

And I don't disagree with your post , just wanted to say that.

Epi's have god awful QC, and usually come set up horribly. But take em to a tech or do the set up yourself, replace the pups and tuners if you are so inclined, and you've got yourself a really good budget guitar.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard
prease exprain.

Do you even know what a Plek machine is/does? And Gibsons have been CNC routed and then assembled and finished by hand for a long time. Nothing at all wrong with that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Chrisiphone
I love my epiphone

also a Joe Bonamassa Epi Sig is coming out, with burstbuckers

An JB model, sounds nice. But i'd rather get the Vintage V100 Joe Bonamassa model. Just cause i dont like the shape of the Epiphone headstock. The Vintage looks more like a Gibson headstock.

Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Artist signature stuff is something I never understood why people purchase ; period. I played a Gibson Slash Model and it sounded good but it sounded like any other Les Paul with Alnico II's in them. The Epiphone will most likely sound like an Epi. Std. with Alnico's ; which isn't bad sounding by any means. The guitar's are geared towards the same crowd just different ages. People who love Slash's sound and look. One group has 4k+ to spend and the other doesn't simply put.

I've had my Epi for 3 years swapped out the pickups and got some Duncan Distortions ; got it set up for my string gauge ; about to change some pots and for the amount I paid it sounds ****ing killer.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
prease exprain.

a quick google of the word "plek" will explain.

Of course its fair enough that not everyone knows/cares what plek does, the thing that made it facepalm-stack worthy for me, though, was just the way you put "I know" at the start of the sentence even though you clearly didn't

@Holycow: I'd take the Vintage over the epi for one simple reason - it's probably exactly the same spec, exactly the same quality, made in the same factory, but for a lower price You're paying for the name when you buy an epiphone, to the same extent that you're paying for the name when you buy a gibson.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by MrFlibble
words and an excellent story that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I dunno, but I find everything with ZW's name on in INCREDIBLY overpriced. And people say everything with Dime's name on it is way overpriced.

Everything Epiphone pumps out with ZW's name on it is over $600 USD. I haven't seen something less. Right now theres 3 ZW Customs (two in white and one in camoflauge), the ZV and the Graveyard Disciple.

Here's what I don't get: Two of the ZW Customs are the exact same everything, but one is $100 cheaper... explain to me that.

I can safely say the AFD Les Paul will be just as overpriced around $700-$900, easily.
Haha just when I was about to defend Epiphone a little bit, a whole string of you guys have already done that. that's awesome!

Danjo's guitar, What do you mean "Which means it will be basically the same guitar with cheaper pickups" ALL of Slash's guitars have SD Alnico 2 Pros in them...
Quote by TomG10-7
So would any of you actually buy this guitar?

Ummmm, probably not haha I'd rather get my hands on an Epi LP Custom.

I agree though that all ZW stuff is overpriced... seriously, LP Custom with EMG's, and an unfinished neck. Also, the ZV and Discipline are ugly as hell...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I dunno, but I find everything with ZW's name on in INCREDIBLY overpriced. And people say everything with Dime's name on it is way overpriced.

well actually,almost everything with someone's name on it is overpriced...with the possible exception of some Ibby JS models and jackson Adrian smith ones(I think they are up to Jackson USA quality).like the ESP KH2,which is like a mind numbing 1000 more than the standard MII..which is essentially the same guitar....the most overpriced artist sigs has got to be Kirks..that OUJIA KH2 was the most insanely overpriced guitar ever(IMO)
Quote by TheBlackLabel
That must have been a crazy quality epiphone 100 and a sucky ass studio
you played.

well if im not mistaken an epiphone 100 has the same hardware and pickups as a standard and the 100 definitely sounded no worse than the gibson studio and i was not at all impressed with the studio

however im sure if you bought a gibson custom and an epiphone custom the gibson would win
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Epiphone ZW custom anyone?

PASSIVE EMG's, a tacky paintjob, ZW on the back of the headstock: $700-$900.

well maybe you should listen to zakk wylde playing farewell ballad on youtube.....hes playing his epiphone signature les paul with passive emg's and his tone is downright mindblowing....
The only reason i would buy this guitar was that it had Alnico 2 pickups already in it. Give me a bit of a head start in modding this guitar. With Epiphone and Gibson and sometimes Fender your going to be paying for a name. With a certain year or artist your going to be paying twice the amount.
Quote by Ma-hog!
well maybe you should listen to zakk wylde playing farewell ballad on youtube.....hes playing his epiphone signature les paul with passive emg's and his tone is downright mindblowing....
No sweetheart. He's playing a Gibson which has been given the Epi headstock. Massive difference.
I reckon this would be the same as a standard Epi Les Paul with different pick ups. Should be alright, however I'm guessing horrible overpriced due to the name.

P.S. Whats with all Epiphone bashing? I know there are some terrible Epiphones, but there are also some amazing ones. Don't knock a brand due to one bad guitar.
Quote by Gods_Gift

P.S. Whats with all Epiphone bashing? I know there are some terrible Epiphones, but there are also some amazing ones. Don't knock a brand due to one bad guitar.
It's more like bashing the brand due to several hundred bad guitars and getting a good one being down to pure luck. And this is coming from someone who's owned seven Epis and quite happily still uses his Epi LP and Firebird. Yeah, they can make good guitars, but if you pick one up at random then the chances are that it is going to suck.
Page 1 of 3