Okay, some of you might have been following my other threads regarding a new amp. Our band plays strictly modern rock - anything from STP and AIC to Green Day to Fallout Boy and Nickelback. No metal, no <1990 classic rock. I have some GC gift cards to burn up so I'm looking there for heads. Used options:

- Marshall AVT 50H - $200
- Peavey Valveking 100 - $300

I also found two cabs locally on Craigslist that could be paired nicely with the above:

- Marshall AVT-412 - $350, but I think I can talk lower.
- Peavey XXX 412 - $250

So I could get the Marshall rig for probably $500 or under, and the Peavey rig for $550. The AVT cabinet is very enticing due to it being a bit smaller. Currently, the band can get all the gear in two SUVs and I'd like to keep it that way. A full sized 412 might put us over the edge. Another concern with the AVT 50H is, being 50W solid state power, whether it can keep up with an acoustic kit (drummer is currently on an E-kit, but we might do shows with his acoustic kit and he's loud.) Miking to PA is probable though. Also the DI out on the Marshall is a big plus for me so I can run right to our board when we do our own sound. So.....questions:

1 - which set-up would you choose - Peavey or Marshall?
2 - Would you mix them up, Peavey head/Marshall cab or vice versa?
3 - Can the AVT-50H keep up with an acoustic kit?

Any other feedback?
Greg
Guitarist, Twisted Nut - CT Modern Rock Cover Band
Peavey Valveking and marshall cab.

If you can, find a better head. The valveking is not much better than the marshall.

What's your budget?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
NOT the AVT. They are terrible amps. You can swap the valves in a VK and if you use nice speakers you end up with quite a decent amp. The only way to make an AVT entertain you is to run over it in a truck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ha ha. I was wonder how long it would take for the AVT haters to chime in. At least it's not an MG, right? I was just thinking for a hundy-fitty, it was a decent option. If I can score the AVT cab for say $275, I got a decent rig for a bit over $400. Trust me, it's going to be a million times better than what I have now. Solid State power is enticing too since it will be gigged with/banged around, etc. I like reliability.

No 212s in the immediate area that I can find, but yeah, that would be a good option too. I would say my budget is about $600 total. I have about $170 in GC gift certs I'd like to use towards that. I was eyeballing 212 combos, particularly the VKs, but everyone seems to hate the speakers so I thought a used head/cab was a good alternative.
Greg
I don't care what it costs, an AVT is NEVER part of a decent rig.

I guess the question is, "what costs more? A VK head and a nice cab or two nice speakers fitted to the VK combo?"
On the up side for the combo, you can hand select the new speakers yourself.

Edit. I have lugged the same valve amp around to gigs for decades and it hasn't broken. Valve amps are far tougher than some people think. Remember, they used to run valves in tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 19, 2010,
yeah VK all the way not just biased because I own one either. The AVT is decent but in the long run you'll end up with a better rig that will last longer with the VK and cab wise probably a toss up which ever has better speakers I know the XXX cab is pretty good though. I run my VK through the mediocre B-52 4x12 and that thing sounds pretty good with my rig so it's all good. a tube swap will do wonders to that thing and there are some wicked mods for the VK other UG'ers have found so it's really the way to go.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by Cathbard
I don't care what it costs, an AVT is NEVER part of a decent rig.

Well, I do appreciate honest passionate opinions. :lol: It just seems like AVTs get hammered by UGers, while elsewhere online they get more of a "pretty good for the money" review. Certainly someone with a JCM/1960 set-up is going to think it sucks though. Still, I value your opinion.

Quote by Cathbard
I guess the question is, "what costs more? A VK head and a nice cab or two nice speakers fitted to the VK combo?"
On the up side for the combo, you can hand select the new speakers yourself.

Edit. I have lugged the same valve amp around to gigs for decades and it hasn't broken. Valve amps are far tougher than some people think. Remember, they used to run valves in tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-z_qNNcVz8

Ha. I've seen that video before. Okay, so I'll get over the valve durability thing.
Greg
Actually...... the JCM is my shit amp. It's my backup amp really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by amatas83
yeah VK all the way not just biased because I own one either. The AVT is decent but in the long run you'll end up with a better rig that will last longer with the VK and cab wise probably a toss up which ever has better speakers I know the XXX cab is pretty good though. I run my VK through the mediocre B-52 4x12 and that thing sounds pretty good with my rig so it's all good. a tube swap will do wonders to that thing and there are some wicked mods for the VK other UG'ers have found so it's really the way to go.

Okay, so I'll keep the VK-100 as a solid option. I could probably walk out of there with it for <$150 after the gift cards. Yeah, the XXX cabs seem to have good reviews. I'm looking at it tomorrow. Not sure the AVT cab is going to be worth another hundred, but the smaller size really is a big selling point for me. Hopefully, he'll come down on the price. The other option I have is supposedly a "like new" 1960A for $350. That seems little too good to be true, but if I go full sized, it's probably the best deal.
Greg
Quote by Cathbard
Actually...... the JCM is my shit amp. It's my backup amp really.

Ha! The JCM is his shit amp. See? It's all about perspective. I think even the AVT will be way better than my current "set-up" - a POS Danelectro disortion pedal though a Crate acoustic amp with two eights. Ha!
Greg
What speakers does the AVT cab have? !960A's are a pretty decent cab but there are better speakers around. I picked mine up obscenely cheap, almost half of what you are proposing to spend on one. It has served me well though. It compliments my amp nicely. Hand selecting new speakers for a VK 212 combo would probably be the way I'd go in your case.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What speakers does the AVT cab have?

Not sure exactly, the ad says Celestions.
Greg
Celestions could mean anything. Wouldn't surprise me if all they are running is something like seventy 80s. Not all Celestions are created equal.

I'd probably grab a couple of scumbacks for the VK and call it a day if I was in the US.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 19, 2010,
Yeah, the XXX cabs seem to have good reviews. I'm looking at it tomorrow. Not sure the AVT cab is going to be worth another hundred, but the smaller size really is a big selling point for me.

Remember, Peavey puts rather crappy speakers in everything.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Cathbard
Celestions could mean anything. Wouldn't surprise me if all they are running is something like seventy 80s. Not all Celestions are created equal.

Right...which is why I said not sure exactly. I assume the speakers are stock AVT cab speakers. Only thing I could find about them was "4 custom-voiced, Celestion 12" speakers" whatever the hell that means.
Greg
"4 custom-voiced, Celestion 12" means "Ones we got for the right price"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you can afford it, drop some WGS speakers into the cab, they're cheap but they're made in the USA and are seriously amazing upgrades.

I've tried a Marshall AVT50H through an old Fender 2x12 once before, the tone was not bad at all. I would have liked to have had more time to mess with it but from the basic 555 tonestack set up I was getting a pretty good AC/DC tone.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Update - got the Peavey XXX 412 cab for $250. After gift cards, a trade-in, etc., I walked out of Guitar Center with the VK-100, a speaker cable, some picks and a 30 watt Crate practice amp for 8 bucks. Ha!
Greg
Very nice. What you might want to get next is an EQ pedal, and visit the VK thread for tips and tricks that improve the sound.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Very nice. What you might want to get next is an EQ pedal, and visit the VK thread for tips and tricks that improve the sound.

Thanks. Yeah, I was already looking at that thread when I was considering a VK-212.
Greg
This is rather like: which do you like better? Pabst Blue Ribbon or Colt 45?

Either way, nobody wins.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Shwag beer ain't bad when it's pulled out of a cooler packed with ice on a hot day. I'm no snob when it comes to most of the things I do. I keep things in perspective, and for a couple hundred bucks, I got a decent rig. And it's something a billion times better than what I had. And I'm psyched about it. So....as far as I'm concerned, I win.
Greg
Quote by AtaBorMan
Remember, Peavey puts rather crappy speakers in everything.

I don't mind 'em.
AVT stock speakers are poo.

AVTs themselves aren't good but aren't especially bad either, for some things. My Bandit sounds a lot better though.

Given the bands you play I would (as much as I personally dislike them) go with the Peavey VK. They're not a metal amp, but they do modern rock quite well.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
AVT stock speakers are poo.

AVTs themselves aren't good but aren't especially bad either, for some things. My Bandit sounds a lot better though.

Given the bands you play I would (as much as I personally dislike them) go with the Peavey VK. They're not a metal amp, but they do modern rock quite well.

I think Bandits sound like poo too but they are better than AVTs. Imagine the depth of horror I experience when somebody walks in to play with me carrying an AVT?

THE HORRORRRRRR!!!!

PS: How I actually deal with it is to say "Here, use my JCM900. I aint using it." If they don't jump at the chance to use a JCM (even a 900) in favor of an AVT I know all I need to know about them. - next audition please.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 21, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
I think Bandits sound like poo too but they are better than AVTs. Imagine the depth of horror I experience when somebody walks in to play with me carrying an AVT?

THE HORRORRRRRR!!!!

And there inside the chamber I spotted a being of indescribable terror, it's eyes piercing my soul from across the room, painting my soul black with indelible darkness. As I came to comprehend what lay before me I felt sanity drain from my mind from this unspeakable horror IIEE!!!
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by TwistedNut
Shwag beer ain't bad when it's pulled out of a cooler packed with ice on a hot day. I'm no snob when it comes to most of the things I do. I keep things in perspective, and for a couple hundred bucks, I got a decent rig. And it's something a billion times better than what I had. And I'm psyched about it. So....as far as I'm concerned, I win.

This is where you and I disagree.

There's lots of beer I wouldn't touch even if I was dying of thirst.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
avt cabs come with celestion g12l-25s which are both the funniest and best speakers ever.
they were designed to be super inefficient so that people could crank their avts, mgs, what not and be like ya i'm at 10 wooo.

they don't sound super bad within a very fixed ranged but they will soak up a ton of volume.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer