my friend whos a music major at the school im going to says that a lot of metal players that major in music dont like to tune down... is this true? im going to be a music major in the fall and i tune down to drop c and I would like to jam with others that tune down that low
theres no 'rule' for what tuning you play in based on whether youre a music major or not...

your tuning is used to allow you to play the notes you want.. having a theory background and majoring in music only helps you write and understand music... its all a matter of what suits you.. alexi laiho from children of bodom plays drop c and he trained heavily in classical and jazz music when he was younger so... go nuts dude...
my friend is a music major and he LOVES to play around with tunings. he adores all the crazy open tuning, and tries to invent his own as well.

he also knows my ltd is set up for Drop C, so whenever he comes over, he takes the thing and tunes to Drop Bb. he KNOWS its not set up for it, but does it anyway just cuz he likes to mess with the system of things (and its just a good sounding tuning).

but yeah, a few music majors that are closed minded and have no soul (in my opinion) forget about how musical alternate tunings can be. they're so focused on theory they forget about the sounds/feel they can achieve with simply changing your tuning.
There is no such thing as standard tuning. "Standard tuning" (EADGBe) is just by far the most popular and widely used tuning on the guitar. And it confuses me when I see people that will only stay in standard and say anyone else who uses alt tunings is weird or can't play.

I used to NEVER be in standard tuning. Always in crazy alt or open tunings. Even tuning some of the strings to the same note. (DADDDD) was my fav for awhile. Gives you a beautiful and haunting drone. Here lately I've been in standard, though. But having fun with it and that's all that matters.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by guitarmageddon0
my friend whos a music major at the school im going to says that a lot of metal players that major in music dont like to tune down... is this true? im going to be a music major in the fall and i tune down to drop c and I would like to jam with others that tune down that low

Im sure alot of them don't mind tuning down. If your going to major in music, you may want to consider the value of being able to play in standard.

Either way, not being able to find fellow "down tuners" isn't something you should worry about.
shred is gaudy music
+1

As long as you know and understand what you're playing then tuning is largely irrelevant - it doesn't change the fact that you still have the same 12 notes on your guitar.

A G chord is a G chord, all that matters is you know how to play one on your instrument. If you don't know then I strongly suggest going back to standard, if you do then downtune away to your heart's content.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Tune to CABAGE! or CABBAGE if you have a 7 string
...I tried.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
my jazz instructer at school (who ironically never went to college and never was a music major) played a 7 string with A as the lowest string, and the upper 6 were in standard. not technically a drop tuning, but not crazy different then standard.
Ive considered switching to New Standard tuning, but don't really want to re-learn the fretboard.
All you have to do is recognise that every note has changed. For example, if you go from standard to helf-step-down, then every note is now one fret up. Or if you go from Drop c to Drop D, then every note is not two frets down.
Quote by tehREALcaptain
my jazz instructer at school (who ironically never went to college and never was a music major) played a 7 string with A as the lowest string, and the upper 6 were in standard. not technically a drop tuning, but not crazy different then standard.
Ive considered switching to New Standard tuning, but don't really want to re-learn the fretboard.

AEADGBe? thats just standard with the lower 3 strings in drop A.
i love using that tuning for jazz because if your playing a chord with its root on the (higher) A string, then you can just move your root note finger down one string to the E, and it is the 5th of the chord.
then if you move your finger down to the low A, its the root note an octave down.
it kind of gives the impression your playing with a bassist.
i know i explained it horribly, but i think you understand.
say your doing a D minor7 chord.
you go:
e---x---------------------------------------------
B---6-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------
G---5-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------
D---7-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------
A---5-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~--------------
E---x-------------5-~~~~~~~~--------------
A---x---------------------5-~~~~~------------
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser