Page 1 of 2

In the trial, patients were offered two eight-hour psychotherapy sessions scheduled a few weeks apart, with 12 of them given a dose of ecstasy and eight a placebo.

Two months later, 10 of the 12 patients given ecstasy responded to the treatment, the researchers said.

In contrast, just two out of eight patients offered a placebo showed an improvement.
Study leader and psychiatrist Dr Michael Mithoefer said before ecstasy or MDMA, as it is clinically known, was used recreationally, hundreds of psychiatrists and psychotherapists around the world gave it to boost therapy.

Sauce

Interesting stuff here, discuss.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

woohoo! X makes me real ho'neee!

/rubs nipples
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I think therapy is better, talk out your problems and experiences not hide from them. You take drugs to get away...not heal.

EDIT; Didn't read the full article...could be useful.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by blackflag49
Joe Biden's wife is a total cougar.

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!

XBL Gamer Tag:

Arch Enemy65
Last edited by Arch Enemy 65 at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by Arch Enemy 65
I think therapy is better, talk out your problems and experiences not hide from them. You take drugs to get away...not heal.

That's a naive point of view. As a matter of fact I would be strained to think of something that assists the healing process more than drugs.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
inb4 "i have PTSD gimme ecstacy lololo"
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
But drugs are for communists and non-believers. If these people had God to help them through then they'd be fine.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I have PTSD. I took a load of E, and it went wrong - I haven't been able to take any pills since. Can I have some E to help get past it?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by I.O.T.M
But drugs are for communists and non-believers. If these people had God to help them through then they'd be fine.

TS: That's very interesting. I had no idea that ecstasy could have any clinical applications.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Jul 19, 2010,
I'm not surprised, MDMA was used for quite a while in therapy before it was made illegal.

Quote by Arch Enemy 65

EDIT; Didn't read the full article...could be useful.

Drugs can help, LSD for example was used successfully in therapy for years by psychoanalysts before the hippies got it banned.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I'm not surprised, MDMA was used for quite a while in therapy before it was made illegal.

Drugs can help, LSD for example was used successfully in therapy for years by psychoanalysts before the hippies got it banned.

O_O

No way? What was it used to treat?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
O_O

freedom, and insanity
Hello Will You Be My Freind?
Quote by guitar-guy69
i knocked a girl up once but thank the lord it died inside her

Quote by guitar-guy69
Guitar-guy69 your the best

Quote by guitar-guy69
my penis floats when its in the water so it always looks hard

Hello my name is guy i like my women naked and aroused lol
What do you think ''Alexander Shulgin'' was out for all along ?
he wasen't out to make drugs for pleasure,Which just happened to be one of the side effects of many drugs. I think Lysergic acid could allso be a medicine for many people who have PTSD
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

This.

I would elaborate but he usually knows more and can usually explain it better than me.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by I.O.T.M

aren't you a silly little rabbit?
Quote by El_KINGG33
aren't you a silly little rabbit?

If it means that I get to spend eternity in heaven with God, then I would gladly be a 'silly little rabbit'. Blasphemer.

S A D B O Y S
Quote by valennic
O_O

It was used to remove Defence mechanisms in order that the person could deal with the issues that they had been repressing/whatever, which is a big part of psychoanalysis (which comes from the Freudian tradition). The idea was that one would have a bad trip which the psychotherapist could guide one through, thereby facing and dealing with one's psychological issues. It was said to work, but there were obstacles to its widespread use because an LSD trip takes so long it was a very expensive way to conduct therapy. The company that synthesised it used to provide it for free to psychotherapists and researchers.

It was also used in the treatment of alcoholism with some success. IIRC the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous advocated its use but was told to shut up about it by other figures within AA.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Worth a try, at any rate. PTSD really f*cks people up, and support is patchy at best.
This is OOOOLD news. I saw a video on this in my psychology class about this last year and it dated back to the gulf war in the 90's.

Still though, I am not sold. Sure it may help them bring out feelings, but without proper professional help to coexist with that, I don't see it honestly helping much.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It was used to remove Defence mechanisms in order that the person could deal with the issues that they had been repressing/whatever, which is a big part of psychoanalysis (which comes from the Freudian tradition). The idea was that one would have a bad trip which the psychotherapist could guide one through, thereby facing and dealing with one's psychological issues. It was said to work, but there were obstacles to its widespread use because an LSD trip takes so long it was a very expensive way to conduct therapy. The company that synthesised it used to provide it for free to psychotherapists and researchers.

It was also used in the treatment of alcoholism with some success. IIRC the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous advocated its use but was told to shut up about it by other figures within AA.

I can see how that would be very effective. If you take away the outer layers, and just lay bare all the issues, I'd think it would be much easier to treat, which I'm assuming is the same mindset they went through when they used it.

They really should allow the use of it in severe cases at least, if it helps, that would be amazing. And if I remember correctly, LSD is a non addictive drug correct? Unless it creates a psychological addiction due to abuse

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by OctaVariuM8
This is OOOOLD news. I saw a video on this in my psychology class about this last year and it dated back to the gulf war in the 90's.

Still though, I am not sold. Sure it may help them bring out feelings, but without proper professional help to coexist with that, I don't see it honestly helping much.

Did you even read the quoted summary? The drug(or the placebo) was administered as part of an 8-hour psychotherapy session.
Quote by MightyAl
Did you even read the quoted summary? The drug(or the placebo) was administered as part of an 8-hour psychotherapy session.

I read it, and I was saying that unless they use it with that (like they are) then it wouldn't really work. The problem with the old methods they used in the video I saw was that it was largely unmonitored.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by I.O.T.M

WTF

I watched that episode about an hour ago much apu about nothing

O_o

OT: yeah man, go for it.
STRIKING MINORS
Quote by OctaVariuM8
I read it, and I was saying that unless they use it with that (like they are) then it wouldn't really work. The problem with the old methods they used in the video I saw was that it was largely unmonitored.

Yes, but you said you were 'not sold', when the study wasn't looking simply at the use of MDMA, but at the use of MDMA within a regulated, clinical setting.
Quote by MightyAl
Yes, but you said you were 'not sold', when the study wasn't looking simply at the use of MDMA, but at the use of MDMA within a regulated, clinical setting.

I'm not sold either, for the same reasons the critic in the article isn't sold. PTSD is associated with drug dependence and repeated use of X isn't so good for you, and this needs a lot more corroboration in the literature.

I just think it's amusing how we completely outlaw stuff that has (or may have, in this case) actual good effects just because people abuse it. How is LSD, to use Ua$'s example, that different from Oxycodone or Percocet or Valium?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

From personal experience, I've used MDMA and LSD to help clear out a lot of emotional and mental baggage. Used in conjunction with therapy or counseling, it can undoubtedly be beneficial in a controlled environment.
Quote by SteveHouse
How is LSD, to use Ua$'s example, that different from Oxycodone or Percocet or Valium?

It's way better for you

I do think though that an issue here could be the lack of pharmacological training that many psychologists and psychoanalysts in particular suffer from. As such it's probably only going to be suitable for use in a small amount of settings. In most jurisdictions psychologists can't even prescribe anything anyway.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I do think though that an issue here could be the lack of pharmacological training that many psychologists and psychoanalysts in particular suffer from. As such it's probably only going to be suitable for use in a small amount of settings. In most jurisdictions psychologists can't even prescribe anything anyway.

Similarly, psychiatrists suffer from a lack of much training in therapeutic approaches. I really don't understand why they don't combine the two approaches and be done with it. You raise a good point though.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Ur all $h1t

The founder of AA also involved the use of a Ouija Board. Total whack job, that guy.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by SteveHouse
Similarly, psychiatrists suffer from a lack of much training in therapeutic approaches. I really don't understand why they don't combine the two approaches and be done with it. You raise a good point though.

Yep. They do tend to combine them both in the context of mental health teams and such. I reckon the issue is the different conceptions of mental health, psychologists seeing it from a wide variety of viewpoints (particularly counsellors) and psychiatrists taking a purely biomedical view of the issue.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Ecstacy may help with PTSD.........I've got a question.................what WON'T ecstacy help with?
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by Sewn Up
Ecstacy may help with PTSD.........I've got a question.................what WON'T ecstacy help with?

Celibacy.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by SteveHouse
I'm not sold either, for the same reasons the critic in the article isn't sold. PTSD is associated with drug dependence and repeated use of X isn't so good for you, and this needs a lot more corroboration in the literature.

I just think it's amusing how we completely outlaw stuff that has (or may have, in this case) actual good effects just because people abuse it. How is LSD, to use Ua$'s example, that different from Oxycodone or Percocet or Valium?

I suppose it depends to a great extent on just how much/how often it's required to produce a benefit in the long term, and in what way the patient is monitored throughout the course of thier treatment.
Like I say, support for PTSD is terrible, and by and large, anything which benefits patients more is, I think, deserving of further investigation.
Quote by MightyAl
I suppose it depends to a great extent on just how much/how often it's required to produce a benefit in the long term, and in what way the patient is monitored throughout the course of thier treatment.
Like I say, support for PTSD is terrible, and by and large, anything which benefits patients more is, I think, deserving of further investigation.

Absolutely, especially here in America, given the prevelancy among war vets.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by OctaVariuM8

You didn't read the full article, did you? It's intended for the patient to take the ecstasy for aid in therapy, conducted by a proper professional.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight
Quote by SteveHouse
Absolutely, especially here in America, given the prevelancy among war vets.

Also, firefighters, paramedics, police officers....
Quote by valennic
I can see how that would be very effective. If you take away the outer layers, and just lay bare all the issues, I'd think it would be much easier to treat, which I'm assuming is the same mindset they went through when they used it.

They really should allow the use of it in severe cases at least, if it helps, that would be amazing. And if I remember correctly, LSD is a non addictive drug correct? Unless it creates a psychological addiction due to abuse

LSD is non addictive. It can be psychologically addicting, but not in the sense that you would do it everyday. LSD is also one of the safest (Physical) drugs someone can take. The dose is measured in the micrograms, and it doesn't take much to have the effect.

http://www.miqel.com/entheogens/francis_crick_dna_lsd.html

Drugs have done great things for society, but we also have morons who ruin it for everyone.
Quote by valennic

TS: That's very interesting. I had no idea that ecstasy could have any clinical applications.

MDMA was initially used for psycotherapists to form bonds with their patients. They'd each take a bit and open up more.

When my best friend's dad died recently we managed to get hold of a shit load of good MDMA and sat up all night talking about everything. It really helped him and we went through the whole grieving process almost overnight. It may sound a little "too good to be true" but it truly is a f*cking marvellous drug if you don't rip the arse out of it.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Page 1 of 2