Okay so this is my first thread in this section and I'm a bit of a recording n00b.

I am going to be recording some stuff this summer and I have one place to record the drums (with a full set of mics, an interface and all the required gear). The interface I will be using here is called "Nuendo".

I have another place lined up to record the stringed instruments (guitars, bass etc) and the vocals, again with all the required gear to do so there.
The interface there is "Pro Tools LE" to my knowledge.

Now the reason I'm using two different places is because they are both friends and it makes transportation of amps/gear a lot easier to record the drums at the drummers house and the rest at another persons house.

My question is this:
When I record the drums on Nuendo, will I then be able to take that file on a USB stick/external hardrive, plug it into the computer at the second house and use the same file on the Pro Tools LE, and the layer on the other instruments?

tl;dr: Are recording files compatable with different interfaces.
you can use the interface on any computer
and you can export the WAV files to work on them in any other sequencer

you just can't save automation settings and such from one program and put them in the other.
^ yeah, thats pretty much the gist of it.

you can take the sound files that you have for each individual track and export them. then import into the second program, and do there. any mixing or level setting you did originally will probably have to be re-done. so i would just record it straight up, and then worry about the mixing later. well, get a good and balanced sound when recording of course, but dont work about tweaking in software till later.
Quote by jof1029
^ yeah, thats pretty much the gist of it.

you can take the sound files that you have for each individual track and export them. then import into the second program, and do there. any mixing or level setting you did originally will probably have to be re-done. so i would just record it straight up, and then worry about the mixing later. well, get a good and balanced sound when recording of course, but dont work about tweaking in software till later.

Thanks for this, just t obe clear is there a certain file type I'll have to export them as or will it be the standard file type?
You'll want to export as WAV file format. I usually use the Microsoft PCM .wav format as it works with just about all programs out there and is the standard.

Just be sure to export separate tracks if you don't want a final mixdown but yea in the end you can import those WAV files to any recording program you want to work with.