Hey,

So today is my second day properly playing the electric guitar. I've played bass basically everyday for about 5 years, so I feel that I have good finger strength and idea of theory. So, I decided to have a look at bar chords today after practicing open chords and picking yesterday (I play bass fingerstyle, so I had to basically learn everything about using a plectrum). Due to my finger strength, I've been able to progress pretty quickly with barring, but one thing is constantly holding me back:

No matter how much pressure I exert on the neck, I can never seem to get the G string to resonate. Obviously, this is a problem because it means that I can never determine the tonality of the chord when I go to add in the second finger.

Is there any excercises or things you'd reccomend in order to improve my barring?
It's ALL about finger placement. Assuming your action isn't ridiculously high and the frets are relatively level, you should be able to do them.

Experiment with angle of the finger, placement of the thumb, wrist-angle and most importantly index placement. Try high, low....really close to the fret. Eventually you'll get a position where you don't have to press down like a nutter to get it to ring out.
Quote by Filoux
Hey,

So today is my second day properly playing the electric guitar. I've played bass basically everyday for about 5 years, so I feel that I have good finger strength and idea of theory. So, I decided to have a look at bar chords today after practicing open chords and picking yesterday (I play bass fingerstyle, so I had to basically learn everything about using a plectrum). Due to my finger strength, I've been able to progress pretty quickly with barring, but one thing is constantly holding me back:

No matter how much pressure I exert on the neck, I can never seem to get the G string to resonate. Obviously, this is a problem because it means that I can never determine the tonality of the chord when I go to add in the second finger.

Is there any excercises or things you'd reccomend in order to improve my barring?

Does that string happen to fall under a joint of your finger? That's a common cause of a problem like this. If so, change the way you position your finger.
Try rolling your barring finger towards the nut just a little bit. You want to use the flattest, or at least most consistent, part of your finger. It will probably feel awkward at first but it will eventually come naturally.
Last edited by Dehydrated Wate at Jul 19, 2010,