OK, so they aren't scouse, but its still pyar.

So, I was busy doing things on the internet that don't induce masturbation and I stumbled into Dunc's review of the new Winterfylleth album. With such praise lauded upon them I made it my mission to check these boyos out.

So I did. And I still am. And it is good, very good. Very English, great overall feel to the album, very representative of the themes they cover.

Again, credit to Dunc for inadvertedly turning me onto these boyos, have a gander for yourselves here.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Surprised Annihislater hadn't made a thread sooner to be honest.

They're okay, could never get into their debut, despite how much i tried.
I love them. The new album should have arrived today, but it didn't

but The Ghost of Heritage is incredible. I had Mam Tor on one of my forum radios a while back.

They also have awesome Tshirts, my red and gold 3 lions shirt is one of my favorites (if you go to my last.fm in my sig, theres is a link to my FB page, where I have it on in my default.

I noticed you said you felt they had an english feel to them, I know what you mean. Its hard to put into words.

Interestingly, Chris is also in Atavist, and Cloaca, and Mark, the other guitarist, is the guy behind Guthrum and used to be in Ravenage.

The UK has a pretty healthy black metal scene at the moment with the likes of Winterfylleth, Wodensthrone, Cnoc An Tursa, Old Corpse Road, Fyrdsman, Ghast and plenty of others.
Ohmygod.

Fantastic Black Metal, how I think it should be.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'm loving the production on it. It's crisp enough to really gather everything thats going on without sacrificing atmosphere and sounding overproduced. Will have to delve into their earlier material at some point.

EDIT: And wow, that red shirt is awesome. I do wish more bands would do shirts like that, nice to have band shirts in colours other than black. Especially ones that look as good as that.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
I'm loving the production on it. It's crisp enough to really gather everything thats going on without sacrificing atmosphere and sounding overproduced. Will have to delve into their earlier material at some point.

I was thinking similarly. It sounds stunning through my hi-fi. I would like more emphasis on the 'Ambient' part of their genre descriptions, though.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'm a bit surprised there wasn't already a thread, Heritage was a fantastic album, I listened to it at work recently while putting the stock out. I had no idea The Mercian Sphere came out today, but I heard one of the tracks from it on the Candlelight website, and it sounds very promising.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
New album sounds like an improvement over their sound from the first album, especially in the production area with this new one sounding some of the best produced Black Metal i've heard.
BNPcore.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I think its a shame that the opinions of a now ex member are still tarring the band.

If you google winterfylleth, one of googles suggestions is Winterfylleth racist, now if you click it check one of the top results, it should be a doom forum. Chris pretty much explains everything.

Its seems they were guilty by association, because they like bands with questionable views, poeple assume they did, which is none sense. I like bands like Drudkh, Walknut, hate forest, Kataxu etc, who all apparently have questionable views, but it doesn't mean I do. Just cause you listen to something, doesnt mean you agree with the artists views. There were people saying about symbols they used, and his response was essentially, we used them in the right way, but because these symbols are now known out of context, people assume we mean them out of context. I think he may have used it as an example, Death in June, they use an Algiz rune quite often, they use a totenkopf quite often, and their name is a reference to the night of the long knifes, but no one really questions them.

They did a blog on myspace when they sacked the guy who made the initial comments, but I cent seem to find it.

I know I could have just chose to ignore your comment, and no one would have thought any more of it, but its just a bit annoying, that one little blip that has been dealt with is still coming back to haunt them.

Anyway, the new album should arrive today, so ill report back later.
Totally agree with AnnihiSlateR, besides that one member who was consequently fired for his statements, and after an apology by the band, they're still tarred with the 'nazi' brush because of the symbols and themes used in the music in the same way that bands such as Skyforger or Moonsorrow have been stigmatized by the ANTIFA crowd who brainlessly follow a certain idiotic doctrine as most neo-nazis do themselves.
The Skyforger and Moonsorrow ones were laughable, Skyforgers use of a Thundercross in their logo was misconstrued as a Swastika,
and Moonsorrow's s in the logo looks like the Sig Rune that was used by the SS.

I honestly feel some people will complain about anything.

The Mercian Sphere arrived today, Im just ripping it now, so ill report back with my opinion in abit.
Mercian Sphere is a great listen. Fields of Reckoning and The Honor of Good Men on the Path to Eternal Glory are two of the strongest tracks. The prouction works beautifully for the album, too.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

at his command
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
The Skyforger and Moonsorrow ones were laughable, Skyforgers use of a Thundercross in their logo was misconstrued as a Swastika,
and Moonsorrow's s in the logo looks like the Sig Rune that was used by the SS.

I honestly feel some people will complain about anything.

The Mercian Sphere arrived today, Im just ripping it now, so ill report back with my opinion in abit.

Its the extreme left being as idiotic as the extreme right, instead of attacking on all things foreign as being evil and such as extreme righties do, the lefties seem to go for lots of native things as being 'racist and offensive' for representing a single part of our history.

Politics is a touchy area, i'm glad to simply not give a shit about any of this stuff.
Right, If I had to criticise anything about TMS, its that I think its a bit too long.
But I think that about a few of my favorite albums, so its not like its a major issue.
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Jul 20, 2010,
The Honour Of Good Men is so tasty
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Been sampling a few tracks from 'The Ghost of Heritage' on youtube...really loving the Primordial/Drudkh influences. Couldnt give two shits about the 'controversy'.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Good lad.
Have a listen to the re-recording of Defending the realm from The Mercian Sphere, I'd say its their best track, the extended ending is proper epic and always a great way to end their set live.

Incidentally they are playing Liverpool next week, so if I can find a way of getting there, I'll be going. Old Corpse Road will also be playing, so it should be a double whammy of awesomenesness
That re-do of Defending the Realm is fantastic, one of my favourite moments of the entire Bloodstock festival when they played that.

Saw 'em play here too, picked myself up a nice shirt to boot.
LAMMERGEIER
Thread just reminded me of these guys, going to give 'em a listen when i head into town earlier, once i finish this Grim Reaper binge!

Not listened to Ghost of Heritage for bloody ages.
Its a great style when its done right, the 'pagan black metal', for want of a better term. Its just a pity that the genre is saturated with clone buzzsaw, droning type bands with plenty of so-called atmosphere but feck all songs!

Oh also, some of you lads across the pond might be interested in this:

June 25th @ The Fighting Cocks, 56 Old London Rd, KTown KT26QA.

For more detailed info head over to http://www.sevenchurchesfestival.blogspot.com

Winterfylleth
Black Sun
Age of Taurus
Groan
Bong
Dopefight
Bast
Rise of the Simians
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Not bad, doesn't quite tickle my balls in the same way Fields of Reckoning did when that came out though.

3:55 is pretty nice.
Quote by duncang

at his command
Last edited by ctfod at Aug 7, 2012,
I guess I'll put this here, because I couldn't find any other 'official' Winterfylleth thread. Anyway, the full album comes out October 7th, I believe. I've been listening to this almost every day since I heard it. I'm sure a lot of metal hipsters will have a problem with it and this band in general, but I think Winterfylleth has one of the best sounds in black metal altogether. I F$%ing love this stuff! I'm guessing this album won't be a disappointment like so many of the albums I've purchased recently. My favorite by them is The Mercian Sphere, but if this song is indicative of the whole new album, then it may be a contender. Anyway, enjoy if you haven't heard this already: (Sorry, I don't know how to imbed).

Whisper of the Elements

Last edited by KailM at Sep 12, 2014,
Just checked out "The Divination of Antiquity" based on the artwork. Wow, this is good.
Really good stuff. Seen them live twice now and they blew my tits off both times. I requested Gateway to the Dark Peak live at Bloodstock a couple of years ago on the FB page and they played it. I nearly cried with joy haha.
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
I can't actually recall the last time I listened to them. I didn't even bother with the last album. Perhaps Chris N basically calling me out on another forum for daring to say anything other how amazing they are soured things for me a bit. Plus the more people I spoke to who knew them and talked about how business oriented the band are also seems to quell the flames of my enthusiasm.

Mark has left the band since I last listened to them which doesn't surprise me from the things I was hearing. I feel he was far to genuine for that band.

He's been replaced by Dan Capp who is an artist too, but who also has a really interesting side project called Wolcensmen. For any neo-folk fans out there you could do a lot worse than to give them a go.
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Jun 27, 2016,
I can't say I've ever seen that side of them tbh. I thought the Threnody of Triumph was a bit boring at times but I still spin The Mercian Sphere and Divinations of Antiquity loads. From what I've read the Dark Hereafter looks like it's only going to have 5 songs on it. Wonder if we're going to see them go in a more Drudkh-y direction.
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
How about a better question-

If the music is great, does it matter if they're racist or not?
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by askingalexandria96
AnnihiSlateR
Ive been trying to figure out, is winterfylleth racist or no?

From what I've gathered, no, not at all. But very proud of their heritage and critical of the current state of affairs of the world.

But I'm with progbass on this one -- I don't really care as long as it's good music. The Dark Hereafter is decent. I haven't had enough plays yet to decide how I feel about it. They didn't really go anywhere new with this one, but I'd rate it as good as or better than The Threnody of Triumph. It has a nice Ulver cover at the end as well.

For me, the Mercian Sphere still tops their catalog, followed by The Divination of Antiquity.
Last edited by KailM at Oct 10, 2016,