So in a few weeks I'm going to have about $3,000 AUD to spend on, well anything, but it's going to be bass gear.
Basically my dilemma is that I need an amp, but I'm also GASing hard for a Jazz to go with my Spector Euro5, more specifically the Fender Marcus Miller (the MIJ) as getting a custom made and the Spector Coda are a bit out of reach for the next couple of years.
So do I get the MM and a cheaper amp (probably something like the Ashdown MAG300/600 and the matching 410 (and probably chucking a 15 under it later) or the Hartke LH500 with the VX 410 (and again chuck a 15 under it later).

Or.

Spend the majority of it on a nice amp. Which would probably be the SWR 750x and something like the Warwick 610 which would probably push me a couple hundred over but meh.

Used Marcus Millers are hard to come by in Aus but I wouldn't go against a used bass amp if it was nice.
Anyway, what do you guys think?
If you're in need for an amp buy an amp. but as long as it's a practice amp you need I'd go for the Marcus Miller. Give us some more detail, I mean are you gigging a lot?
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
I think a new amp will make your current bass sound way more versatile and interesting, and inspire you plenty. Shell out the good money for a killer SWR and enjoy the wonderful versatility with your spector.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Marcus Millar Jazzes are awesome.

Buuuuut, i mean, so is a Spector Euro...

I say get the MM if you plan on getting a 4 string. Then you'll have a great 4 and 5 string. If your plan is to get another 5er... i would say sink the $$$ into a good rig.

As per your choice... why go the Warwick 6x10 over a SWR? I, personally, like the SWR Goliath 6x10 over the Warwick 611 6x10. Is it a price thing? Both the head and cab are ~$1000 US dollars. I dunno what shipping costs/currancy differences are to AUS, but a SWR 750x and Goliath Sr 6x10 would be pretty much the bees knees.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by JY-Rasputin
If you're in need for an amp buy an amp. but as long as it's a practice amp you need I'd go for the Marcus Miller. Give us some more detail, I mean are you gigging a lot?

I'll have gigs coming up. Just getting back into it and may have session work coming up but I'm not too worried about that equipment-wise and it's a far way off if it happens. I need work horses.

Quote by Din of Win
Marcus Millar Jazzes are awesome.

Buuuuut, i mean, so is a Spector Euro...

I say get the MM if you plan on getting a 4 string. Then you'll have a great 4 and 5 string. If your plan is to get another 5er... i would say sink the $$$ into a good rig.

As per your choice... why go the Warwick 6x10 over a SWR? I, personally, like the SWR Goliath 6x10 over the Warwick 611 6x10. Is it a price thing? Both the head and cab are ~$1000 US dollars. I dunno what shipping costs/currancy differences are to AUS, but a SWR 750x and Goliath Sr 6x10 would be pretty much the bees knees.

SWR 750x = $1999 AUD
SWR Goliath Snr = $1900 AUD
Warwick 611 = $1400 AUD.
Oh, and Fender Marcus Miller V = $3500 AUD and the MIJ IV = $1700 So i'll be going for the four stringer.

EDIT: Has anyone got anything to add about the Ashdown and the Hartke? Sid I've noticed you've got an XL cab, I haven't personally played through one but from what I've read I would really hate those aliminium cones. How do you find it?
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 19, 2010,
Sorry bout my ignorance pertaining to AUS$

Ashdown is well recieved by many bassists. However, i have zero experience with them personally. Same goes for the Wick Profets.

As per Heartke... ehhhhhhh honestly not that bad, especially for the price. The stuff they've been putting out in the last 3-4 years is pretty nice. Infact, almost all the technically gifted (i.e. - those that went to school for bass composition/performance) almost all use heartke cabs. In fact, many of my friends in like-minded DIY ethic'd bands have been turning to heartke as well. While those aluminum cones take a little getting used to... they are sturdy and can take a beating whilst on tour. But their tone is a big issue, some can deal with it more than others...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
Sorry bout my ignorance pertaining to AUS$

Ashdown is well recieved by many bassists. However, i have zero experience with them personally. Same goes for the Wick Profets.

As per Heartke... ehhhhhhh honestly not that bad, especially for the price. The stuff they've been putting out in the last 3-4 years is pretty nice. Infact, almost all the technically gifted (i.e. - those that went to school for bass composition/performance) almost all use heartke cabs. In fact, many of my friends in like-minded DIY ethic'd bands have been turning to heartke as well. While those aluminum cones take a little getting used to... they are sturdy and can take a beating whilst on tour. But their tone is a big issue, some can deal with it more than others...

I like my hartke tone. 10 band EQ is fantastic. I would never go an aluminum coned cab, Paper all the way. Also the LH series are awful compared to the HA series LH only has a three band knob EQ not as versatile as the HA.

I have the hartke VX cacb (the paper cone one) and I love it, it's taken a huge beating from all sorts of crunch's and pushing of levels, with the HA2500 head I can fill out small to smaller medium sized venues without the need of PA assistance, (but its nice to use it anyway), in my opinion the tone is to die for. its so versatile, the HA3500 and/or HA5000 has a pre-amp tube, more of a gimick than anything I think, but you can roll in how much solid state pre-amp and how much tube pre-amp is in the tone. in the HA2500 there is a tube emulated circuit.

I'll hark on about Hartke for a while, but SWR... guh, the only amp I love more. If I had the money I'd be getting the swr 750x... I'd keep the Hartke. bi-amp them.

so its up to whether you want a new bass or a new amp, that MM IV jazz is hot, I dig the active switch, I'd go for that one.

amp wise, its a toss up between the swr and hartke for me, but only if it was an HA series.

I'd probably get a HA 3500 and see what else I can get with the left overs... thunderbird pro maybe?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
I like my hartke tone. 10 band EQ is fantastic. I would never go an aluminum coned cab, Paper all the way. Also the LH series are awful compared to the HA series LH only has a three band knob EQ not as versatile as the HA.

I have the hartke VX cacb (the paper cone one) and I love it, it's taken a huge beating from all sorts of crunch's and pushing of levels, with the HA2500 head I can fill out small to smaller medium sized venues without the need of PA assistance, (but its nice to use it anyway), in my opinion the tone is to die for. its so versatile, the HA3500 and/or HA5000 has a pre-amp tube, more of a gimick than anything I think, but you can roll in how much solid state pre-amp and how much tube pre-amp is in the tone. in the HA2500 there is a tube emulated circuit.

I'll hark on about Hartke for a while, but SWR... guh, the only amp I love more. If I had the money I'd be getting the swr 750x... I'd keep the Hartke. bi-amp them.

so its up to whether you want a new bass or a new amp, that MM IV jazz is hot, I dig the active switch, I'd go for that one.

amp wise, its a toss up between the swr and hartke for me, but only if it was an HA series.

I'd probably get a HA 3500 and see what else I can get with the left overs... thunderbird pro maybe?

Hmm Victor Wooten seems to like his LH...
I don't suppose you play your VX with a five string at all? I've always had this doubt when it comes to cheaper 410's and a B string by themselves... I'll have to try both the HA and LH when I go looking around both have tube pres and the HA3500 with a VX is only 100 bucks more than the LH...
Quote by consecutive e
Hmm Victor Wooten seems to like his LH...
I don't suppose you play your VX with a five string at all? I've always had this doubt when it comes to cheaper 410's and a B string by themselves... I'll have to try both the HA and LH when I go looking around both have tube pres and the HA3500 with a VX is only 100 bucks more than the LH...

Just want to note that it's not a true tube preamp in those amps. it's solid state with 1 tube(probably a 12ax7) thrown in the mix. basically you could possibly add a bit of warmth or maybe even i tiny bit of grit if the controls are set up correctly. but for the most part it's a very minor difference.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
Just want to note that it's not a true tube preamp in those amps. it's solid state with 1 tube(probably a 12ax7) thrown in the mix. basically you could possibly add a bit of warmth or maybe even i tiny bit of grit if the controls are set up correctly. but for the most part it's a very minor difference.

Cheers for that. I've always know that most Hybrid guitar amps are a total crock but I really wasn't too sure about single tube bass preamps. The LH boasts a "Classic 12AX7 High Voltage Class-A tube preamp circuit" whereas the HA only says something about a selectable tube preamp (which I'm assuming leads towards the single 12AX7 "it doesn't really do anything" route) is it the same for the LH?
I dont know why everyone is so against the aluminum cones. Ive played several heads through the hartke XL series, and lemme say, sounds GREAT! Definitely get their high end stuff though, because the low end stuff IS crap.

As far as SWR, my thoughts on them are STAY AWAY. The only SWR I ever played played had an okay tone, but was seriously underpowered. You can easily do better for less. Check out the Kustom Groove series specifically, and then all the other good stuff like markbass, ashdown, acoustic, etc
Quote by tubatom868686
I dont know why everyone is so against the aluminum cones. Ive played several heads through the hartke XL series, and lemme say, sounds GREAT! Definitely get their high end stuff though, because the low end stuff IS crap.

As far as SWR, my thoughts on them are STAY AWAY. The only SWR I ever played played had an okay tone, but was seriously underpowered. You can easily do better for less. Check out the Kustom Groove series specifically, and then all the other good stuff like markbass, ashdown, acoustic, etc

What was the SWR you played? The 750x is godly. Played a Kustom Groove, absolutley hated it. Markbass I have been looking into but a tad on the pricey side. Their 410s are more expensive than most of their heads here . So far noone's said anything more elaborate about the Ashdown MAG I mentioned other than that they're considered good, and as for Acoustic. No. You can't even get them in Aus and from what I hear they're pretty much just for "loud on a budget" without any real exceptional tone.
Quote by consecutive e
What was the SWR you played? The 750x is godly. Played a Kustom Groove, absolutley hated it. Markbass I have been looking into but a tad on the pricey side. Their 410s are more expensive than most of their heads here . So far noone's said anything more elaborate about the Ashdown MAG I mentioned other than that they're considered good, and as for Acoustic. No. You can't even get them in Aus and from what I hear they're pretty much just for "loud on a budget" without any real exceptional tone.

Guess you must be more of a vintage guy

I played an SWR III 400 through a hartke 4x10 xl.
The tube in the HA3500 doesn't really do much, but you can dial in how much of that circuit you want and how much of the solid state circuit you want, which I like. doesn't sound like a tube amp but definitely gives another sound spectrum.

With the aluminum cones, they just didn't hit me right. I didn't hate them but I didn't love them. I much prefer the paper cones.

there shouldn't be any trouble with a five string, a band I gig with has a bassist playing a 5 string, he loves me amp. HA2500 with a 4x10 xl, I'll sometimes add a 1x15, and if you can get both speakers with the HA3500 head I'd definitely consider that rather heavily, and if you can get the head separate to the speaker then you can mix and match for gigs and practice and stuff.

The LH series would sound amazing with a fodera, but any decent amp should. I find the LH brings a lot more of what bass you play into the sound. with the HA series what bass you play does color the tone quite a bit, but its not as big of a deal as with the LH. so if you have a fantastic bass, then LH would have no troubles with you, if you have a pretty good bass then you'll get a better sound through the HA. for example through the HA series you'd be able to tell if you where playing a sterling music man or an ernie ball music man, but only if you play them next to each other. through the LH series you'd definitely be able to tell.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"