a) Like - political issues raised in songs
64 73%
a) Dislike - political issues raised in songs
35 40%
b) Like - political issues raised in live shows
38 43%
b) Dislike - political issues raised in live shows
53 60%
c) Like - political issues raised in interviews etc.
54 61%
c) Dislike - political issues raised in interviews etc.
37 42%
Voters: 88.
Page 1 of 2
In a variety of contexts.

a) In the songs themselves.

b) In live shows.

c) In general day-to-day life. E.g. interviews, blogs, campaigns etc.
Can be pretty cool, but sometimes it's a bit cheesy. I dislike it when it's obviously bandwagon-y, and RATM-esque anger can be a bit naff. Rage get away with it cos they're legit.
I wouldn't mind politics from musicians, if most of them weren't a bunch of clueless hippie Utopians. I absolutely hate the cliché musicians who are all about smoking weed and fighting against the evil government.

Fortunately, in some cases they actually have an interesting opinion to share, in which case I don't mind. But overall I'd say I don't really like it, it just seems forced and too much of an easy topic to write about, most of the time.
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Pretentious douchedicks.

(Not in all cases, but those ones are annoying >_>
STRIKING MINORS
I don't like people preaching their views so in a live show talking to a crowd I wouldn't like it. But using the subject for lyrics is great, people can pull it off and if they explain that in an interview then y'know.. Whatever.
If they bring it up like once in a song then sure that's ok. But if they repeatedly go on about it then they should just stfu.
If you want to use your music as a political outlet then thats fine do what you wnat to do, but I dont really care for nor do I care about someones political views when I'm at a show or reading an interview.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
*picked all of them*

Generally, i prefer that musician's don't do it blatantly.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Rush have done this many a time, from 2112 (a discussion of capitalism and individualism) to The Big Money and Distant Early Warning (about nuclear war).
I do not like them with a fox, I do not like them in a box. I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Rush have done this many a time, from 2112 (a discussion of capitalism and individualism) to The Big Money and Distant Early Warning (about nuclear war).

Aye, Rush isn't in anyone's face.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
as long as thats not all they talk about and theyre realistic about it then i dont mind hearing what they have to say
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
I'd prefer it if musicains didn't do it to be honest, I have no problem with a political group, but when regular musicains start over doing it, it's pretty annoying. I always liked Tom Petty's stance of 'i'm just some guitar player, no one cares what I think'.
yes - it's nice when there's a message behind the music. Though it doesn't always have to be politics.

I find that usually general socio/religious/political lyrics are awesome (for myself), such as:

We are falling over the ends of the earth
So gather your sons and daughters before you
And tell them that these are the final days of all
Preach to the paupers
And sing to the slaves

I see you've chosen to loose your faith
To burn your bridges and lose your way
From mountain top to valley deep
Fro

m shore to cursed shore
What Nation, what State what Land is this?
The wretched Tribe of Nero...

Sing Sing Sing to the Slaves
Sing to the Slaves that Rome Burns

Are our bones not dust?
Is our Blood not Poison?
On my knees in the black light
Praying for Salvation, bitter Redemption
So throw your dice and cast your shadow
You may look away
But your children will not...

and

Fell down upon the realm of man

On a scorned mound
we erect another monolith
buckled under its own ego
another pillar of content
another milestone of man

pity the weak
we cry out in laughter
as trees are felled
how the mighty have fallen
we mock the roots

parasitic ape;
spills his black blood
blotting out the sun
wither to sallow flesh

saplings writhe where man is idle
an imperfect genocide

erected upon weakened ground
finally gave way

toppled down. toppled down
anything this man says

(its ted nugent)
jk

i liked what bono said in "sunday bloody sunday" in the rattle and hum version.

linky
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
*picked all of them*

Generally, i prefer that musician's don't do it blatantly.

What, I could of picked more then one

Dam
I should of checked lol
Musicians are artists, and art is meant to portray the opinions, views, perceptions and perspectives of the artists. For some artists, these include political issues, and there is nothing wrong with that. The only issues I have are when either a) the artist feels as if he/she HAS TO have an opinion on political issues or b) when the artists are uneducated on what they are talking about.

Now, to answer the question in the contexts of the OP
a) I have no problem with it, as I stated above.
b) Addressing the issues in a live, non-musical manner between songs can add context to a political song. It can also be a good way to speak up for or against something, as not everybody has a stage and a microphone to amplify their free speech.
c) It depends on the interview. It would be extremely annoying for an artist to want to talk about politics when the interviewer wants to ask about non-political stuff. ("Hey, what string gauges do you use?" "Whatever string gauge is necessary to elect Ron Paul!") But if an interviewer asks about the artistic content and context, then of course the answer should be political if the art is political.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I do not mind politics in music at all, as long as it's handled properly. Political songs are fine, and talking about politics in interviews is not a problem at all. Politics in live shows can get a bit ridiculous if it feels detached from the performence, but in if it's in a context where it makes sense I don't mind. For example, Jello Biafra introducing a political song by explaining what it's about and why he thinks like he does is okay, but Iron Maiden talking about politics and then playing The Phantom of the Opera would just feel like a joke.
I used to hate it, but ever since I started listeneing to Green Day I'm pretty much okay with it.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I like it when they actually have something honest to say and they are educated about the subject.

However, there are quite a fair amount of people that just "act" political just for the image. Such as seeing various local punk bands a while back and a lot of them always said "George Bush is a ****!" Then if you were to ask them what made them say it they would just ignore the question.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Aye, Rush isn't in anyone's face.

Thing about Rush is that the lyrics are clever and their opinions informed.
A song or 2 is okay. Interviews are fine.

But I don't wanna go to a show thats like a democrat or republican convention with musical interludes!
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I used to hate it, but ever since I started listeneing to Green Day I'm pretty much okay with it.

i actually prefer the way pink floyd share their political beliefs... through emotions from past and so son... the final cut is sure the fines piece of art evar
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by JacobTheMe
I like it when they actually have something honest to say and they are educated about the subject.

However, there are quite a fair amount of people that just "act" political just for the image. Such as seeing various local punk bands a while back and a lot of them always said "George Bush is a ****!" Then if you were to ask them what made them say it they would just ignore the question.

This is also important. It has to be real. People that only give a shit when it's cool or when they get attention for it are just annoying, but if they know what they're talking about, then I'm fine with it, even if I disagree.
additionally, this song is awesome for being political.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z6vpiXQJNA

<3 dream theater

Quote by damian_91

holy crap

oldfags!

jk

Ug's acceptance of rush has been all downhill from there
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Jul 19, 2010,
Depends really. I'm sure people have said it already, but the whole trendy anti-goverment bandwagon punk rubbish gets incredibly annoying. I think that if an artist is going to express political views in a forceful manner, they should at least do a bit of research first. There are too many ignorant bands/singers around that actually haven't got a clue what they're talking about and just want to ''**** the system''.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Yah, this one.
Quote by rushpython
i liked what bono said in "sunday bloody sunday" in the rattle and hum version.

linky

That version is amazing.

I like the musicians that aren't so blatant about it, and I'm okay with them talking about it in interviews when they are asked. The ones that just are on politics all the time should stfu and gtfo.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
That version is amazing.

I like the musicians that aren't so blatant about it, and I'm okay with them talking about it in interviews when they are asked. The ones that just are on politics all the time should stfu and gtfo.

Why should you not be allowed to express your opinions and be a musician at the same time? Does the music get worse if the artist cares about politics?
I think it's all about context

Dylan, for example, wrote some brilliant songs that deal with political issues.

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding):

As some warn victory, some downfall
Private reasons great or small
Can be seen in the eyes of those that call
To make all that should be killed to crawl
While others say don’t hate nothing at all
Except hatred

I really like that verse
Clicked all of them. Don't care much.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by fender_696
I think it's all about context

Dylan, for example, wrote some brilliant songs that deal with political issues.

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding):

As some warn victory, some downfall
Private reasons great or small
Can be seen in the eyes of those that call
To make all that should be killed to crawl
While others say don’t hate nothing at all
Except hatred

I really like that verse

Great song.

I like that one verse in "Desolation Row" better.

And here comes the blind commisioner
They've got him in a trance
One hand tied on the tightrope walker
The other is in his pants
Quote by Chromex
Why should you not be allowed to express your opinions and be a musician at the same time? Does the music get worse if the artist cares about politics?

No, I'm not saying that at all. I just don't like the people who are "on" all the time. That can never shut up about their political views, and everything they do has to involve politics.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
If they're really pretentious about it, then they can **** off.
If they're just chilled out about it but still raise thought provoking stuff, i like that.
Page 1 of 2